1984 Audi 80 GL £900 Fife

DodgyBastard

The seats and clocks are from an Audi C GT 5E, the steering wheel from a B or C facelift. The entire car looks like an interesting B-platform puzzle.

Just as an aside. This may be why it has a heavy clutch. I think the engine is the sore thumb. That engine bay has all the std 5 cylinder parts in it. Maybe the gearbox is 5 cylinder thus a heavy clutch. I am not enough of an AUDI licker to know.

All arbitrary anyway. It is what it is.

A good running B2 :-)

Eh? Is this a £900 car or a £9,000 one?

I rarely keep the receipts, like you say for whose benefit?

He clearly knows fuck all about cars, there might be signs of disturbance round the bell housing bolts for about a week until it rains then you’d be pressed to tell. In fact if he’s still bothered go down to your unit and wire brush the bastards down if it’s a sure sign it’s had the gearbox off. I’ve had these sorts round before, when I was selling the Mondeo I had an ‘enthusiast’ round who purported to be an expert on Mondeos. He knew fuck all about them, wanted again as you say a sheaf of bills displayed on the coffee table like you had to pitch how great it was to him. It’s was a £400 car, anyone who actually knows about old cars, turns up, checks it out quietly without imagining they are Quentin Wilson, has a drive of it and makes you an offer. All this fannying about is a symptom of someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

You could go down to this wazzock's place of employment and go over everything in his stock saying 'not shiny' so not new on every bit you can find, he is wanting to get it for tuppence ha'penny, quadruple the price, then try and flog it to a dubber. He really needs his chips pished on

Yes. This.

Go down his lot with a trolley jack and a torch and subject something to a 3 hour appraisal on one of these clapped out Focuses he sells and hand him the report after.

He's been and gone thank fuck! He brought a friend with him, one of them said oh it's got that old car smell to it, the other said it stinks of piss.

They had a look around it, opening and closing the doors a few times, checking under the bonnet and inside the boot.

He asked where about under the bonnet it had welding, I said it didn't have any under there, it was the inner rear arches.

He didn't check the bellhousing bolts.

They both took it for a test drive where they both slammed on the brakes and also tested the handbrake by yanking it on before coming to a stop.

They were both quite aggressive drivers and were really trying to drive the car hard etc.

After the test drive we put it up on the ramp, he said to his pal while looking at the subframe that it looked new and asked if it was new, I said yes, I had already written it in the advert.

They poked at a few bits then he asked to see the v5, I asked why? He said he wanted to know the number of owners? 7 I said, I asked why he wanted the document reference number, he said to check if it was taxed. I said he didn't need it for that.

He asked to see the v5, I showed him it but didn't let him hold it, I opened it up and I could hear him murmuring the numbers like he was trying to memorise them.

I quickly put the v5 back in my pocket.

He asked what my bottom line was, I said £1k he said but it's advertised at £925, I said £925 it is and he said no, it's too high so I said see you later.

You can leave now.

I walked him out of the yard to open the automated gate. He said he'd give £800 maximum for it and I said we'd agreed £900 on the phone last night, he said but I hadn't seen it yet, I said it wasn't my problem and he shouldn't have agreed to the price without seeing the car first.

I also asked how much he was planning on selling it for at his garage, he said it was for him, I called him a liar.

Both of them were European.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Who agrees a price over the phone for something they’ve never seen?

Why was the tax such a big issue?

I’ve got nothing but sympathy for you, I had exactly the same, I’d go as far as to say I’d scrap the stuff I’ve got before I sold it but it’s not quite that easy when it’s a thousand quid at stake.

Dodgy fuckers.

So, I had a call about this today, the guy wanted to know if the registration plate was original, what the story with it was, how long I'd had it, why I was selling it, If I could send him a photo of the full v5 including the reference number (I thought that seemed a bit dodgy)

I go on to reiterate pretty much what I'd said in the advert and mentioned the clutch had been changed, he asked if I had receipts for the clutch, I said I wasn't sure that I did, he said he'd be able to tell if it had been changed because the gearbox bolts would be shiny - Fuck off you cunt!

I said that the rear brakes had been replaced, he asked for proof in the form of receipts, I don't think I have any but the drums are still shiny.

He said he was a classic Audi enthusiast and asked how much it is to tax, I said around £250 a year, he seemed disappointed and said something about free tax, I said it has to be 40 for that.

He works in a used car dealership in Kirkcaldy so I imagine he's interested in buying it to sell on at a profit. Mrs Foad thinks he's just going to be trouble and I should just tell him to fuck off.

https://www.klmotors.co.uk/

I felt like telling him to fuck off when I was on the phone to him because he basically accused me of lying about the work being done, he said that it's important to keep all the receipts  for when you sell the car but I told him that I got the work done for me not for anyone else down the line, when getting the work done I didn't have a plan to sell it.

The guy just seemed like a bit of a wanker so I'm not entirely sure if I even want to entertain him coming to look at the car, I predict he'll turn up, poke at a few bits and moan about everything and say it looked better in the photos.

I suppose it is an Audi so will probably attract the biggest bell ends out there.

You have more patience than me then. I'd have told him to GTF when he started on the bellhousing bolts BS. Utter twat, proven from the above post about his visit. In my experience, the more they try to come off with the 'I'm a marque expert/enthusiast' shit, the less they know about cars or anything much else generally. 

Service history on a thirty year old car? Oh yes, of course it has, why wouldn't it have? It's got that, a case of money on the boot and also the moon on a stick in the glovebox too, anything else you'd like? Are these people naturally moronic or are they just trying extra hard for you?

Have to say, hate modern Audi's (not just because of their moronic owners) but these 80's cars ie: the 80, 100 & even the 200, still look good, clean, modern design from the days when they were simply an up-market VW with better build quality rather than an asperational, 'look-at-me' lifestyle accessory. 

Why would he need to know that, other than to quiz the tester? You can view the MOT history online. Maybe if you owned one of these in a foreign country and wanted a ringing kit then having the document number might help, that would be my concern anyway.

More fishy than Grimsby docks.

What a tool. Honestly I’ve found if I’m getting that vibe from them over the phone/email it’s easier to just fuck them off altogether than deal with their shite in person. Hope I goes for you.

If you decide to roffle it, I’d have a ticket

I’m not sure half these that turn up ought to be buying a second hand car with how fussy they are. The price might be attracting the nutcases, it’s cheap enough that they’ll think you’ll take fuck all for it. I’d put it up somewhere else at £1500 and let them think they’ve got a great deal when you let them have it for a grand.

I’m not sure half these that turn up ought to be buying a second hand car with how fussy they are. The price might be attracting the nutcases, it’s cheap enough that they’ll think you’ll take fuck all for it. I’d put it up somewhere else at £1500 and let them think they’ve got a great deal when you let them have it for a grand.

When I get one of these jokers, my simple response is to direct them to the nearest franchised dealer and tell them to buy a new car as that's what they really want. It'll have no wear and tear, no scratches or imperfections, no mileage on it, new everything - there you are, job done, off you go, stop bothering me and wasting my time.

Also, price doesn't matter much, even if you asked a £500 for a car that's realistically worth £1000 because you needed to move it on quickly, someone would still cut you in half and offer £250, it's the way of things now. (Too much of that type of shit on TV).

I also hate folk who try to knock the price down before even coming to see the car, because if you agree to it they then see that lower price as their starting point to bid you even lower when they arrive

Not at all. You make it clear on the phone that there are only two options when they arrive, they hand over the agreed price or they do one.

They really are very pleasing to look at aren't they. I borrowed an 80 sport in about 1996 for a bit, with some great graphics down the side. It was lovely. Fast at the time too (both my cars at the time were Hillman Imps).

I ran a 1985 90CD with the 5-cylinder engine for about six years. Very smooth, if not particularly quick off the mark. Ran well on super unleaded. The windows were all electric, but the sunroof was manual. Only thing that went wrong was the clutch failing once whilst doing a U-turn, but the rest of it was decent.

….Both of them were European.

My bet's that the car would have ended up on Romanian or Bulgarian plates within the month. #evasionmerchants