Proton Saga Aeroback now £300

DodgyBastard

Due to trying to save some money for a house I'm cutting down my collection of cars, first up this beautiful Proton Saga Aeroback GLS.

It has a 1.3L carbed engine and is the lowly 8 valve engine so not as quick as the old triplevalve Protons, it has a 5 speed manual gearbox too.

Mot is out on the 29th of November 2018, it passed the last one without issue and hasn't really been used much in the time I've had it so won't need much for this one.

29700834718_c41184e5f1_c.jpgRJC_2808 by srblythe, on Flickr

29700835768_560a866fd4_c.jpgRJC_2807 by srblythe, on Flickr

29700833698_38888d3ca5_c.jpgRJC_2810 by srblythe, on Flickr

41763593430_dea27dafe4_c.jpgRJC_2811 by srblythe, on Flickr

41763590930_1daebf9761_c.jpgRJC_2813 by srblythe, on Flickr

41763588610_b222b9c951_c.jpgRJC_2814 by srblythe, on Flickr

29700828528_df78b8c611_c.jpgRJC_2818 by srblythe, on Flickr

43571587531_717c6cc718_c.jpgRJC_2822 by srblythe, on Flickr

41763601580_9c7beb79ac_c.jpgRJC_2806 by srblythe, on Flickr

It's quite low mileage at 54k and drives fine, this week it had the head skimmed, gaskets and head bolts replaced and a new timing belt fitted.

Good points

Full set of tyres replaced recently

New battery

Starts stops and drives fine

Windows go up and down without falling off the runners - Most Protons are bad for this

Serviced recently, timing belt and water pump replaced

Mechanically it's in great order, suspension is good, no clunks etc

Interior is in good condition, no rips are tears on the seats.

Minor issues

Blisters of rust appearing on the wings and arches

Some small dents, rear bumper has a patch of primer on it.

Exhaust is blowing from centre section - I will try and get it mig welded before it goes

I'll be sad to see it go and hope that the work I've had done recently will keep it on the road for the next few years.

I'd like £400 for it and it's in Fife, Scotland.

They're surprisingly jolly little motors. Proton could barely ship them over here quickly enough when they first arrived in the UK. Recommended.

Very true.Genuinely think I've never seen so many dealers asking/chasing early delivery - not delayed - 'can you get it to us any earlier?' on any subsequent marque. They were an absolute steal for 95% out-going Colt/Lancer.

Red5 to the beige courtesy phone with go faster stripes please

Mmmm.

Early model interior 'trim'

No door mirror. 

No side rubbing strips.

Tudor Webasto tilt and slide, GLS coachlines and rear speakers - Radiomobile's finest. Probably, depends on when it came through Wythall    :-)

I really can't....

Interesting...

Never realised that instrument cluster was used on the earlier cars, thought that was a later change. All the early cars I've seen until this had the backlit panel with the revcounter.

Normally I'd be in a raffle for this one - not when I've already got one Lada too many on the driveway (well, parked on the garden actually). I'd be killed if I brought it home!

So... I welded up the blown exhaust silencer and went to get some better photos.

42757311835_1124749dde_c.jpgRJC_2824 by srblythe, on Flickr

42757309735_b6f342b29c_c.jpgRJC_2831 by srblythe, on Flickr

42757308845_80889c151e_c.jpgRJC_2833 by srblythe, on Flickr

42757307865_49221f7eb8_c.jpgRJC_2835 by srblythe, on Flickr

42943615594_7852ebb167_c.jpgRJC_2838 by srblythe, on Flickr

But Mrs FOAD has decided she wants to keep it for the time being so it's no longer for sale, no that anyone wanted to buy it anyway...

my 1st car was a silver one of those, g199csd, sadly scrapped. great motor, mum bought it new and i got it when i was 21 at 70k, by the time i let it go in 2000 it was sitting at 107k, engine never drank any oil and apart from the usual consumables all it has was the rear inner wing welded. still on original shocks, springs, clutch. Before I let her so we did a trip to heysham in her, 4 big lads and tools and came back via the kirkstone pass in the lakes, yes i was pedalling hard but the faithful old 8v lump kept going, no oil or water drank. It was slow, going up the M876 to larbert was a drop down to 4th if there was any weight in the car. Other fault was the bottom bolt for the rear shock sheared one night coming back from greenock, cable tied the shock and limped home... still miss her

i am bloody tempted by this one but isnt your 1st car like your 1st girlfriend, great at the time but do you really want to go back there 18 years later, wouldnt mind a drive for old times. 

Likewise, one of the first cars I drove (entirely legally of course...) on the road was one of these - albeit in 1.5GL spec (G499ORS).  Got it as a freebie from the used car dealer I had a Saturday job at.  She'd been in a front end shunt at some point so the bonnet, front panel and both wings were a slightly different shade of silver to the rest of the car, but drove like a new one.

Only things I had to do to it were fix the stereo (fuse), replace the top radiator hose when it turned into a balloon one day, get a tiny patch welded on the nearside suspension turret and take a hacksaw to the exhaust because the tailpipe stuck about half a mile out the back and I had a perpetual bruise on my shin from walking into it.

I sold it on stupidly when I decided to try to clear the decks a bit.  Think it made another three or four years after that before being scrapped.  There was nothing that car didn't do with supreme competence.   With the 1.5 12V engine it didn't hang around either.

Even the dealer in Aberdeen didn't blink when I rocked up one day looking for a top hose for a model that they hadn't sold for nearly 15 years.  Had it on the shelf, in my hands in about 30 seconds and something daft like £7.

If I had the driveway space and could find a clean enough example I definitely would have another one.  Real rarity on the road that will get interest from folks who know what they are, but supremely low-stress to drive (unlike the frenetic experience that the Lada delivers) and just generally easy to live with I found.

forgot had to overhaul the rad too

its replacement the persona 1.5gls was a different kettle, central locking was a menace, a stupid wee spring like what you find in a biro kept rusting and snapping rendering it not possible to open said door, passenger was minor, drivers was a pain. went through 2 rads in the 6 years I had it, okay 1 was thanks to a branch i hit and it took the head gasket. towards the end when the choke was open but car not fully warm you got sometimes 4 cylinders firing, sometimes 3 and occasionally 2. was really glad when i flogged it. some cars have personality, this one didnt

Tyres and battery be worth almost the £300.00 alone. I think it looks like a good car, clean economical and a little bit of punch. I hope it gets bought.

Absolutely, cheap transport with the welcome side effect of being a bit different.

It's just a case of "can't buy them all", I hope there's someone out there for it.

Edit - I'd have a fair quantity of randoms.

Lol. I drove one of these from Chester station to Bewdley when Red bought the saloon version of this. Genuine lol had driving it. It could barely peel the skin off a rice pudding. Everything was faster than me. I was expecting someone to walk past me.

I still would though, just for that 'simple as you can get' driving experience.

Wasn't there a Silver one of these with a body kit up for sale on here at some point? I seem to recall half the wheels needed digging out of the ground/grass?