MOT exemption help.

danthecapriman

Help please guys!

My Mercury is well over the new 40 year thing for the MOT exemption being made in 73.

It’s already registered on the V5 as ‘historic vehicle’ and tax is free.

So how the hell are you supposed to register it for MOT exemption?!

I’ve just gone online, used the V5 11 digit number to get new tax which it has done. Started from 1st July 18 for a year. But not once did it ask me to declare anything about MOT exemption, modifications etc etc?

My MOT runs out in September but I don’t want to get to then and use the car only to find I get pulled and my car seized for no MOT.

So how do you do it?

There is a tick box on the online application, right at the end of the process before you press the 'tax vehicle now' button, which says something along the lines of 'our records show this car may be exempt from MoT testing. Please tick here if this is correct'. It's not a huge banner or anything and possibly easy to miss HOWEVER I have only taxed cars which were actually due, or the MoT had already expired, so possibly this is not the case when trying to re-tax a car which is currently legal.

There is a tick box on the online application, right at the end of the process before you press the 'tax vehicle now' button, which says something along the lines of 'our records show this car may be exempt from MoT testing. Please tick here if this is correct'. It's not a huge banner or anything and possibly easy to miss HOWEVER I have only taxed cars which were actually due, or the MoT had already expired, so possibly this is not the case when trying to re-tax a car which is currently legal.

That’s what I’d assumed but there was nothing there to declare this, no tick box or anything.

Maybe because my MOT is still active until September the system won’t do it until either tax or MOT actually expires?

Should I try doing it with the Capri? This is a 74 car and is also registered as historic vehicle but it’s MOT expired two years ago.

Can't do the first one online. Fill in a V112 and go to a post office.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot

Yes you can, if the car is already tax exempt (which the Merc is). You only need to go to the post office for a car which has not previously been in the historic tax class

See the latest FBHVC Newletter 2018 No 3 Addendum for clarification of the process?http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/_file/282/fbhvcnews3-18addendum-pdf/

Clarification? I’ve just read that and it’s as clear as mud! Besides that, what that document says I should be doing and seeing online, isn’t happening. All I’m getting is the option to tax for 12 months. There is no other tick box or option. If I go ahead it simply re-taxes the vehicle with absolutely no mention whatsoever of mot status.

I’m also now fucked because if I go back onto online taxing it won’t allow me to do anything. It just says that the vehicle has been taxed in the last 5 days and that’s it. No other choices or options but to go back to the home page. So both cars I can do nothing with now.

I don’t get this at all? I could understand the Mercury not working with it as it still has an MOT. The Capri however has no mot and I should have been able to go online, complete the re-tax stage and then it should have given me the tick box thing to declare it is roadworthy and unmodified for mot exemption but none of this is happening. All I could was tax it for a year again.

Which on this car I shouldn’t be able to do as it has no mot!

How the fuck is everyone else managing this!?

I have just had the exact same problem. I went through the online tax thing waiting for this mythical tick box, only for them to 'sell' me another 12 months tax. MOT wasn't mentioned at all. 

Vehicle was already historic. 

Now the online check thing says "MOT: No results returned". It doesn't say "MOT expired [date]", so something has happened. 

I have just had the exact same problem. I went through the online tax thing waiting for this mythical tick box, only for them to 'sell' me another 12 months tax. MOT wasn't mentioned at all.

Vehicle was already historic.

Now the online check thing says "MOT: No results returned". It doesn't say "MOT expired [date]", so something has happened.

Just checked both of mine.

Mercury says tax ok. MOT Sept 18

No change here, but maybe that’s because it does still have outstanding valid MOT?

Capri says tax ok. MOT no details held.

This has changed, as I’m sure before it was in a red box saying MOT expired.

I still don’t get it? Is it automatic if the car was already in the historic vehicle tax class?

I’m not being funny but am I unreasonably thinking the DVLA should have made this process clear before hand? It’s not too much to ask really is it!? Bring in legislation and make it clear how it works under all possible circumstances first. Wankers!

I know that you are trying to do the right thing Dan and you're absolutely right to do so.  On the other hand, what are the chances of getting pulled and your car seized for no MOT? 

Maybe I'm too optimistic but surely even the most pathetically anal copper or DVSA checkpoint Nazi wouldn't seize a car that you can easily demonstrate is over the 40 year limit, insured and well looked after? 

I know that you are trying to do the right thing Dan and you're absolutely right to do so.  On the other hand, what are the chances of getting pulled and your car seized for no MOT? 

Maybe I'm too optimistic but surely even the most pathetically anal copper or DVSA checkpoint Nazi wouldn't seize a car that you can easily demonstrate is over the 40 year limit, insured and well looked after?

I know, and it’d be easy to get out of but it’s still the law. And hassle I can’t be arsed with if I did get pulled.

Knowing my luck there’d be a copper hiding right outside my house just waiting for that tyre to cross the threshold of the street...

It shouldn’t be this difficult though either. It’s just pure incompetence on the part of the dick wads in Swansea. Again!

Ok, here's the latest.

Back on the 21st May, I broke the system as it was still registered as a TRICYCLE and there was no MOT on it (hasn't been since 1992, so this is a pre-SORN job) http://autoshite.com/topic/29491-40-years-rolling-mot-exemption-is-go/?p=1510505

This time though I got further (because they've been twiddling with their beta service), but bottled out when the thieving scumbags were demanding monies!

Same patter as last time:
post-19900-0-05537900-1532101067_thumb.png

Oooh look, they offer me the declaration page:
post-19900-0-07920800-1532101082_thumb.png

Sod that!
post-19900-0-72530700-1532101091_thumb.png

So that's my test done.

• The system also does not depend upon the vehicle being in the Historic taxation class.

Clarification? I’ve just read that and it’s as clear as mud!

Mibbie aye, mibbie naw. It's clearish to me.

Mercury says tax ok. MOT Sept 18

No change here, but maybe that’s because it does still have outstanding valid MOT?

Correct. Because it has a valid MOT, bullet point 10 applies

Conversely if the vehicle has a valid MOT (even if it is a “voluntary” MOT) a confirmation or otherwise need not and indeed cannot be made.

Capri says tax ok. MOT no details held.

This has changed, as I’m sure before it was in a red box saying MOT expired.

I still don’t get it? Is it automatic if the car was already in the historic vehicle tax class?

Yes it has changed. The vehicle is due a MOT it will be red "✗ No MOT, Expired: whenever it expired". If the vehicle is not due a MOT, it'll read green "MOT, No results returned".

I've check 3 VRMs of cars that have export markers that weren't tax exempt at point of export - 1973, 1978, 1978. The 1973 car shows No results returned (despite the fact that if you go to the Check MOT gov site, it'll show the expiry as 2008), but the two 1978 cars whilst older than 40, haven't quite made it into the historic tax class yet, although they are MOT exempt).

Just found this, https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Near the bottom it states that you don’t need to declare mot exemption.

But the vehicle must be in historic vehicle taxation class and be over 40 years old.

I’m still not sure about this though. It seems odd not to have the declaration at the point of taxing.

Mibbie aye, mibbie naw. It's clearish to me.Correct. Because it has a valid MOT, bullet point 10 applies Yes it has changed. The vehicle is due a MOT it will be red "✗ No MOT, Expired: whenever it expired". If the vehicle is not due a MOT, it'll read green "MOT, No results returned".I've check 3 VRMs of cars that have export markers that weren't tax exempt at point of export - 1973, 1978, 1978. The 1973 car shows No results returned (despite the fact that if you go to the Check MOT gov site, it'll show the expiry as 2008), but the two 1978 cars whilst older than 40, haven't quite made it into the historic tax class yet, although they are MOT exempt).

But, if I’m reading bullet point 10 right.

At the moment I’m ok as I’m still taxed and still mot’d until September. However, after September the mot expires but I’m still taxed. I’ve made no declaration so technically I’d be driving without an mot which is not legal. I’d only have to fill in a declaration in July 19 when I renew my tax. By then it would mean I’d been driving around for 10 months with no mot and no mot exemption declared?

Correct, you don't need to apply to declare MOT exemption.

That means if a vehicle becomes MOT exempt whilst a tax period is in force it is exempt.

e.g. Your car has "tax" on it for 12 months until end of April 2019 (applied for 1st May 2018). Your MOT runs out May 21st 2018. You have fuck-all to do until the next tax renewal (1st May 2019) at which point you make a tick box declaration. They don't give a shit about the period before renewing the tax. They only care about a MOT exemption declaration at the point of taxing.

So when was the Capri taxed? (you've just done it). SORN it and try again next month.

Honestly. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are still concerned, contact the DVLA. Posting on here isn't going to fix it. Contacting them might. Also the online service is a "beta" service and thus crap. There is an email link for feedback about the online service and I think you should tell them directly what you think of their wank system.

evl.feedback@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

I can't comment beyond the one vehicle I've tried and that isn't in the right tax class, but the MOT page works as intended as it's not dependent on the tax class being correct, just the age of it.

The Capri MOT expired in May 16 I think. The tax was May 19 until today when I tried this so it’s now July 19.

What concerns me is the fact I’ve had no tick box option to confirm it’s stand and unmodified on either car. In theory both of these cars could be heavily modified and I could be getting away with no mot’s still. They aren’t but I’m sure I should still of had the tick box thing.

The tax was May 19 until today when I tried this so it’s now July 19.

Or are you saying the it was untaxed until taxing out a vehicle licence today?

A RTA 1988 S.47 offence doesn't apply to an exempt from test vehicle. So you can't be done for that if it is "A vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years." e.g. a VHI.

I'm trying to find if there is any legislation backing up the declaration at point of taking out a vehicle licence, but I can't find it/any yet.

Or are you saying the it was untaxed until taxing out a vehicle licence today?A RTA 1988 S.47 offence doesn't apply to an exempt from test vehicle. So you can't be done for that if it is "A vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years." e.g. a VHI.I'm trying to find if there is any legislation backing up the declaration at point of taking out a vehicle licence, but I can't find it/any yet.

The Capri has never been on sorn. At least not since the early 2000’s. It came off the road in 2016 for restoration which was when the mot expired. Then later the same year the tax expired but even then I was able to re-tax it online without an mot so I just did that ever since. The tax was free (Historic vehicle) and it has been a HV tax class since 2015 I think when the rolling exemption came back into force.

Thinking about this,

Didn’t the rules for HV tax change too? Ie; if the vehicle was a modified vehicle it could no longer be HV tax class and no longer tax exempt. So in theory anything registered as a HV must be assumed to be standard and therefore meets the mot exempt criteria.

Could that be why I’m not getting the tick box option? Maybe an existing HV automatically is also mot exempt?

I think there was a declaration when I taxed my AMC online on 1st July - but I can't be sure.

The previous MOT had expired though.  

Now I am doubting my memory.

a vehicle enquiry for mine now shows as green - MOT, No results returned.

Maybe they will lock us all up in special unit for offenders with terminal anoraxia.

That’s what the Capri is now showing as, no details held but in the green box.

I’m almost certain the Mercury is only not working right as it’s still got outstanding MOT on it.

It’d be nice if there was more clarity from the helmets in Swansea though. Good job there’s no cops left!