Early mid-life crisis: the MX5 story. ***Minor job 16/8***

fatharris

Was there a shield covering the back of the speaker , if not you'll be needing one , the speakers don't last long without one . Have you discovered if yours has speakers in the headrests ? Not exactly 6x9's but better than the door speakers directed at your legs !

You're not wrong - the speakers are rusty and holed so will need replacing in the near future.

These seats have adjustable headrests - definitely no chance of speakers there

The MX5 is a car no one regrets owning ever, no exceptions!

I had a 99 mk2 ten years ago (T847 BPR) bought for £3995 and sold a year later for £2000; the biggest loss on any vehicle ever but I am so glad I had one, Now mk1's which were plentiful and cheap when I had mine are rare and sought after while my doom blue 1.6 seems the least desirable model imaginable version to buy but I loved it, Yes it cost me plenty but every mile driven was enjoyable summer or winter*

*Winter driving involved two sacks of chicken feed in the boot to make corners of any kind a little less exciting but maybe that's just me and my lack of nerve/common sense driving style but even I got a sense of pride when my local garage checked the rear tyres and showed me the cords exposed and suggested replacements. Not big and not clever but secretly I was pleased with myself and have never ahem "enjoyed" roundabouts in the same manner since.

Top purchase indeed, you can't have more fun on four wheels; in a clothed state than you can in a proper MX5 on a twisty back road without endangering life and licence.

These seats have adjustable headrests - definitely no chance of speakers there

Au contraire, mon ami

Just because mazda didn't fit them doesn't mean you can't have audio luxury

post-4462-0-88020100-1532226480_thumb.jpg

3.5 inch two ways fit in there just perfectly and sound a pis load better than the rubbish mazda did fit to one piece seats :)

Nice work on the door there btw

Well bought!

MX5's probably offer the best fun vs cash spent ratio of any car available at present I recon. Having had more than a few of them I was once a serial MX5 licker, but alas family came along and the time to move on arrived. The Mk1's are 100% the best of the bunch IMO.

gm's advice RE the hidden wing bolt is spot on, also expect the two bolts at the bottom of the wing to potentially shear off and need drilling and either re-tapping or use of a big self tapper to re-fit. Also, the bumpers are lots of fun to remove, they're fastened on in about 87 different places nearly all of which will snap/shear/round off. Ask me how I know...

36857483930_2fb18b7ba0_o.jpg

^ that looks pretty clean joey, did you have the front off for painting ? That crossbeam looks brand new :)

Yes, it was a cracking find. A very early 1989 car with only one hole in the slam panel and the thicker glossy hood latches etc. It had been imported in 2002 and seen very little use after that, it'd barely even seen a salted road so I used to strip it down once a year for cleaning etc.

That was my last and 'best of the lot' Roadster, bought sight unseen from a dealer in Essex who'd taken it in as part ex and trailered it up North on the basis of appearing to never had been welded, and despite being slightly rough around the edges it was genuinely completely rust free. TBH I don't think the chap had any idea of how special it actually was, I'd struggle to find another one like it now, it took me a year of looking even back then (3 or 4 years back)

See rear arches showing the original spot welds, clear indication of having never needed welding or having bodge...

36424313821_4fa6330bae_h.jpg

I used to top up the underseal every year too...

36441369173_edc80ec2eb_b.jpg

37317941070_13a62faf56_c.jpg

I loved that car....

37065475266_525c12e419_c.jpg

37065777226_4733773cbc_z.jpg

I sold it at the back end of last year for a fairly large amount by MX5 standards, it had got to the point where with a little one in tow it just didn't get used and I would never take it out when wet or in winter so a bit pointless really :(

Either way, apologies to the OP for the thread derailment, they're cracking cars and if you even have half as much fun as I had in some of mine then you're in for a treat :)

Cor, she's a beauty - I've fancied spending a few quid on a really nice one but it would be cruel to take something so pretty on the track, I'll stick with my old scruff for now :)

What's going on with your gear nob ? It looks huge

Thanks. In truth it was a bit too nice to use in anger and therefore counter intuitive when all was said and done

RE the gearstick, it was a shift extender taken from a Jap car, I think they're popular in the drift scene? (Yo). TBF I was forever mucking about with various 'JDM' parts (Yo) and having had a fair number of roadsters I had a cache of bits that I'd put on/take off as the mood took me. Sometimes changing the wheel/seats/steering wheel etc on a weekly basis.

Much as it was fun, I have nowhere near as much spare time these days. Life moves on, I drive a Volvo estate now :ph34r:

Now photobucket aren't being complete cockmunchers, I managed to rescue these pics of AVO going around knockhill under the ownership of the guy who had her before me :

post-4462-0-14365800-1532290240_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-33546700-1532290252_thumb.jpg

The back story is his Mrs and my Mrs worked together, so we were kind of dumped upon each other at a wedding the girls were invited to. Smoll talk turned into car talk and I told him of my Knockhill antics. He was keen so the next session I had booked, I signed him on as a second driver in my car.

He was understandably nervous but obviously enjoyed himself as, two weeks later, he called me asking for a lift to go collect AVO from the borders. Dave did a couple of track sessions and loved every minute of his new hobby, he was more than a little pissed off when his Mrs decided that they were emigrating to Australia.

The bright blue eunos I'd been having fun with happened to suffer a crank pulley failure closely coinciding with some hardcore track action down at croft, I did the decent thing and took AVO into safe* hands.

So, mr moog, it's about time you brought her back to her spiritual home again, definitely my favourite of the six mx5s I've had the pleasure to have known :)

The answer to all of life's questions is always: MX5!

Had one of each of the first three series and Mk1 and Mk2 are the best without a doubt - mk1s feel childish and young, MK2s a bit more grown up and almost a proper car while the MK3 is a really grown up adult, they don't rattle or squeek and are generally a much better car. Of course, the one  to have is the MK1 :)

I loved both the early cars I had, and would still have the MK2 if it was a bit more two dog friendly.

I bought my missus a Mk1 MX-5 Eunos for passing her test - she was on holiday at the time so I had three weeks to get it sorted. It had only just been imported from Japan and was as clean as a whistle underneath. It did have a split roof, so had a new one fitted by a father and son business in Romford (and the son also fitted a headlamp flasher that popped the headlights up and down again in a second).

New radio sourced (the original only tuned into part of the FM band width used in the UK)-speakers in the headrests worked briliantly. Also had some leather dye colour matched to sort out the slight wearing off of the colour on the drivers seat bolster. Air con regassed which then blew ice cold. Finally had it machine polished - body in dark green looked like glass and the tan interior was fantastic.

Missus got home from holiday and I showed her the car I had got for her. "Don't like it" she said, without even sitting in it. Sold it to a bloke from Scotland and only down a little on my outlay.

My one regret is that I never got to give it a god thrashing as I had been concentrating on getting it sorted for her.

Missus got home from holiday and I showed her the car I had got for her. "Don't like it" she said, without even sitting in it.

An MX5 is the one car I could buy that my missus would never say no to. We both loved our MK1 and her MK3. I keep looking inside them and thinking I do fancy one again. Possibly a MK2 as not done one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done very little to the old girl since I picked her up, save for filling it up. 29.96 MPG isn't bad (compared to Herman's 20MPG on the same commute!) but I have been razzing it around to hear that sweet-ass exhaust.

Today though, I finished an unprecedented SIX hours early from work, which gave me a bit of time to lark about with the motor.

3f9c757c6423972d45a4132f4fed19a3.jpg

Two screws, and a gentle prise out with a flat-point screwdriver.

0fb1380a13bac9770b119b7c8716a393.jpg

Then, a quick scrub and clean with Auto Finesse APC.

1bca21095067b7193b3106ff57878757.jpg

There was some tape residue left over from "something". No idea what, but my fingernail wasn't shifting it.

09aab2a11027eb48aae5eeea2cb84e62.jpg

Luckily, this did the trick. Cleaned and degreased again afterwards.

39aea7b8488ab6b11d2618fbfea07f5a.jpg

All masked up and ready to go.

46c000e7dd8b7b41b4c0c1d6c744d0fa.jpg

They may as well call this JDM in a can. Less than £10 from eBay.

98b52a87abf998a09dc9edde68c6c392.jpg

First coat of many on.

723dce12002604a466e5d40a8181ad86.jpg

Many coats later:

ed7b5bb47d63c032d0f8b2551a733b8a.jpg

Whilst the thick coats dried, I had a quick look under the car to see if I could find the source of the ratlle at exactly 2000 RPM with the throttle lifted.

They should call me Columbo, because I fucking nailed it in a heartbeat.

5d88f7f3126d92964fcf946dc6e99ddc.jpg

Should probably be bolted to something, but took my thumb and forefinger to bend it out the way, so it won't be missed.

708dcaf3c8e50efb2f0d24af700c977a.jpg

Now the indicators were dry on the outside, but my enthusiastic hosing meant they were wet on the inside. Left them on top of the dehumidifier for twenty minutes.

Annoyingly, the masking tape was shite and allowed a bit to seep through. It has since been scrubbed off. They look canny though.

4d52ebe6180385626084137477ca21e9.jpg

And fitted!

b03574b0b9177db456ae1d738ba5dbce.jpg

Obviously, I left the clear section so the sidelights weren't affected. I took the opportunity to change the filaments for some new ones, and cleaned the indicator filaments.

Works fine now.

8a09264c039cdcfa2c8cde6cb2fa2e77.jpg

As do the indicators!

3b502e1acce8ac82070cb7052031c3f9.jpg

8ee2be883f92236514542f38bc318c31.jpg

So, that's one job ticked off.

6e436ed412a5e3bd7f030c4a8232b145.jpg

Time for one more. Dragged these out, gave them a scrub and pumped them up.

646f89ffeaf9c793bf6046784480c2ac.jpg

And fitted. Plenty more tread on these tyres than the others, plus I think they suit the car better. Taller tyres also mean the ride should be slightly better.

fcbfe40cd6aae5ea2dff1619c1cf736e.jpg

Finally, have a shot of the seat.

HOW HAVE SO MANY BUTTONS BEEN LOST?

408dba8d6e0a496d83c9a3cd84aa389c.jpg

Cheers for reading.