NO LONGER FOR SALE

vaughant

Only a quick tentative ad really.

The reason for sale:

Stark realisation that I won't use this again, I could put £100 into it and get another year out of it I'm sure but I have a Vito now and an issue with my work contract means I maybe looking elsewhere for a job sooner rather than later. The car is sitting in my work carpark hence I'm wanting out asap really.

The car/history:

This has been a great motor overall it really has, these early VE pumped 1.9's literally go on and on with little or no fuss. I bought this as a stop gap as in, I needed to get to work with 30 mins to spare in a Zafira with a puddle of clutch fluid in the floor!!!

I also had an idea to pull the lump out and put it into my mk 1 golf cabby but being a GTi model I felt it was sacrilege.

I didn't have high hopes for the car really and it quickly started playing up, the low water light came straight on and it wouldn't go into gear very well. Checked the water and found it to be low, here we go I thought!!! A top up revealed a leaky top house, this got changed and re-routed and no issues since, never goes above 90 degrees in all weather's. Never put water in, still has the pinky antifreeze vag owners keep on about so much.

After a week and in torrential rain, it FTP'd on me momentarily, list all throttle. A quick on off sorted it on the M4. Got to the Severn bridge and it died with the same fault, off on did no good. I buzzed up the fault code and started looking where I found half a roll of blue paper stuffed up the top of the footwell. Miffed I got it out and started checking connections, the throttle was sodden. Dried it out at the side of the road and voila, it ran again. That afternoon, the culprit was found to be blocked drains in the scuttle, removed the fusebox (again easy), all connectors etc and cleaned them up electrically, never ever had even a murmur since, she starts FTET.

The gear issue wasn't quite as simple. It always struggled with 2nd, then third became stuff and so on. Fearing the worst I set about finding a replacement box but in the meantime it was MOT time. It went through relatively well, a few advisories mainly due to a big oil leak (now sorted and no more oil is used). About two weeks after the MOT, I was minding my own business doing an oil change on it as a treat for passing when I again had to leave for work, as I drove down the road, it began vibrating like mad, I couldn't get gears properly and eventually it ground to a halt, I thought this was the end of the box but in fact the gearbox mount bolts had sheared!!! Box fallen onto subframe and driveshaft inner CV bearings toast.

Remarkably, within two hours (including collecting parts) it was running again, must be the easiest car I've ever done a shaft on, so well designed to be fair. Cost £100 brand new from GSF.

This caused some issues with the actual box which I was fed up with by now but still no replacement sought. I ended up trying an oil change, a cup full came out, great. Fresh oil and a cable set up (again so easy to do) and it drove great, right up until it lost 5th gear (however I drove it like that for another 4 months).

I sourced an engine and box from Gumtree and had to partially remove it myself, it fitted in the boot of the seat ok!!!

I asked the box out and it transformed the car, apparently it's desirable in VW circles because it has a smaller 5 th gear due amazing MPG.

On that subject, constant 80/90 and the rest normal day to day stuff sees high 40's, I once got 600 miles from a tank which was over 50mpg, staggering for an old car.

SOOOOOOO, its mechanically great, I've just put a cat/downpipe on it as the exhaust blew up front.

Tyres all good/legal but one is flat hence the spare on.

Comes with two other steels and two other alloys free of charge.

Cosmetically is very challenged, quite a few dents and scuffs, wing mirror pretty much broken but glass ok, quite a few interior plastics rough but that's it for now folks, so tired I need to crash so I'll update further tomorrow folks!!!!

Changed my mind and decided to fix it as it's actually a good car and seems with an MOT to command at least £500, maybe a bit more so worth the risk I think. Also insured for another year near enough which I foolishly paid for in full so I think I'll resurrect the beast.

Plus it's developing some unwanted glances in the work carpark!!!

Thanks for the interest, mods delete as required.