Deposit taken. Lexus RX300. 02 plate. £950. Derby

Neil clark

Right here go's!

Been tasked to sell father in laws Lexus. He's owned for about 3 years and it's been a proper lovely car. He's upgraded to the new shape one because he loves them so much. It's currently having private plate removed and will go back to its 02 plate

74500 miles

Aircon/climate which is ice cold.

Electric sunroof.

Cruise control.

Cream/mushroom leather which is really nice.

Lexus over mats

Lexus factory sat nav.........

Electric and heated seats, both work all ways.

12 months MOT, well passed about 2 weeks ago.

All 4 tyres matching and only done about 2k if that.

Front discs and pads same time as tyres.

Very expensive lexus back box for last year's MOT.

New battery 8 weeks ago (Not cheap lol).

Good on juice for size of car.

Quiet and smooth, no knocks at all.

Auto gearbox is perfect.

The body is really really straight, only a couple of tiny marks which need pointing out to see.

Now the rub, every 2 or 3 weeks it puts on engine management light. My tame mechanic had it for a couple days and traced it down to cat number 1. He says basically because father in law don't get engine warm it throws light on, he only knocks around locally. It's emissions are fine for MOT and when it does get a run out the light can stay off for over a month after. He says he can change cat but its just not worth it. Father in law just completed a trip up to Scotland and car was perfect (light off at the moment!). It runs perfectly with either light on or off. He also said cat cleaner might sort it but I ain't put any in as of yet. When engine light comes on VSC light also comes on, mechanic says it's meant to and only one fault code is stored which I'll ask him and find out which one, I can't remember lol.

It's a lexus so everything works lol.

Any questions fire away!

post-20934-0-96209900-1531677933_thumb.jpg

post-20934-0-10271900-1531677948_thumb.jpg

post-20934-0-23770700-1531677964_thumb.jpg

post-20934-0-60337100-1531677981_thumb.jpg

post-20934-0-72230100-1531677993_thumb.jpg

post-20934-0-50243300-1531678013_thumb.jpg

Does the VSC light come on with the EML light?

These are lovely cars, I'm seriously tempted with this as ours is showing 220k now and is getting a bit crispy underneath. What are the rear ends of the sills, the drivers side rear inner arch and rear subframe like on this one?

Lol yes it does. Forgot to say until you mentioned! Only 1 fault code ever tho but I've forgot which one lol

Underneath really good. Bone dry and needs no welding

I can try and get pics?

Spoken with my OH and she wants to get another couple of years out of ours after I welded it up last year and doesn't want me spending the time swapping the lpg system over.

Sorry, good luck with the sale, they are lovely things to drive long distance and the factory sat nav is a very rare option.

Cambelt and waterpump is straightforward DIY about 3/4 of a day the first time. Due at 80,000

Bargain bargain bargain. My alphard has the same 3.0 engine as this. I need 7 seats so no good to me . But did I say it's a bargain. I nearly bought a newer shape one of these . But really needed 7 seats so went for the jap import alphard. Which is this but with 7 seats.

Blimey, that looks exactly the same as Daughter's RX, same colour, alloys, interior the lot, aside from Satnav, but hey, who's nit-picking?? (ok I did).

We have had a bit of expense over the last couple of years with changing all the brakes front and back, and looks like maybe we'll be doing the rear shocks for it's imminent test, other than that, it's been a Lexus and therefore top bollocks :)

Good luck with it everyone, I'd have had that for myself if I'd seen it in time, just sold my house so got a couple of quid coming to upgrade my daily, which is the Rover 75 estate Chris 6 cyl sold me last year - a worthy motor, but not great for my lumbar it turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Well bought Sir!

We have just got Daughter's back from the welder's for MOT work - rear suspension turret and surrounding areas shot to bits - I have a theory that either a sunroof/ rain gutter pipe or rear wash pipe above the area split at some time and leaked on it for years, or a thing happened which I haven't thought of :(

Anyhoo, a new shocker and wipers, total cost just over £700 - yoinks!!! Didn't see that coming, and apparently the opposite side turret is fine, hence my speculation.

Only advice I can give is get yourself under it for a day and grease, clean and undercoat anything that moves and otherwise, which I did not as Daughter was so keen to get driving it, and away you go! The back end on hers does seem pretty crusty underneath, but slowly we are replacing various bit as the years go on, and it still turns heads, it's only four years newer than my new Rangie and it feels like a spaceship in comparison :)

Well bought Sir!

We have just got Daughter's back from the welder's for MOT work - rear suspension turret and surrounding areas shot to bits - I have a theory that either a sunroof/ rain gutter pipe or rear wash pipe above the area split at some time and leaked on it for years, or a thing happened which I haven't thought of :(

Anyhoo, a new shocker and wipers, total cost just over £700 - yoinks!!! Didn't see that coming, and apparently the opposite side turret is fine, hence my speculation.

Only advice I can give is get yourself under it for a day and grease, clean and undercoat anything that moves and otherwise, which I did not as Daughter was so keen to get driving it, and away you go! The back end on hers does seem pretty crusty underneath, but slowly we are replacing various bit as the years go on, and it still turns heads, it's only four years newer than my new Rangie and it feels like a spaceship in comparison :)

Passenger side rear turret was it? They are double? skinned there so any corrosion showing through in a biggie.

Check the drivers side inner rear wheel arch just inside the lip - they can corrode enough to seperate from the outer. Later models had a different plastic arch liner and seem to survive much better.

Check ebay for suspension parts - there is a place lists german ones that seem to be unavailable from anywhere else.

Check the drains in the lower rear quarters there should be little tubes coming out just in before they meet the arch.

I think the sun roof drains into the sills. Drain holes are in the front corners of the open sunroof.

By the way does the ABS on either of your pulse when turning on full lock with the brakes slightly applied whilst parking?

Also check the petrol filler and vent pipes for corrosion, I ended up replacing the vent pipe with 15mm copper.

Passenger side rear turret was it? They are double? skinned there so any corrosion showing through in a biggie.

Check the drivers side inner rear wheel arch just inside the lip - they can corrode enough to seperate from the outer. Later models had a different plastic arch liner and seem to survive much better.

Check ebay for suspension parts - there is a place lists german ones that seem to be unavailable from anywhere else.

Check the drains in the lower rear quarters there should be little tubes coming out just in before they meet the arch.

I think the sun roof drains into the sills. Drain holes are in the front corners of the open sunroof.

By the way does the ABS on either of your pulse when turning on full lock with the brakes slightly applied whilst parking?

Also check the petrol filler and vent pipes for corrosion, I ended up replacing the vent pipe with 15mm copper.

It was the driver's side, the welder had all the trim out to weld from the inside as well, and i could see the pipes for the rear washer and another one which must have been a water drain from oop top - the welder said someone had previously bodged it with wob of some sort, so maybe they replaced a tube back then but didn't do the welding - he reckoned the passenger side was fine thank fuck :)

Good tips, I will have a look at those areas maybe next week :)

I don't know about the abs pulsing, will have a play with that as well, haven't noticed anything.

• 1 month later...

It was the driver's side, the welder had all the trim out to weld from the inside as well, and i could see the pipes for the rear washer and another one which must have been a water drain from oop top - the welder said someone had previously bodged it with wob of some sort, so maybe they replaced a tube back then but didn't do the welding - he reckoned the passenger side was fine thank fuck :)

Good tips, I will have a look at those areas maybe next week :)

I don't know about the abs pulsing, will have a play with that as well, haven't noticed anything.

I don't know if you will see this reply Dodge Rover, but as it turns out, I bought this car off Sims, and today in a car park, on full lock pulling into a space, the abs did a significant pulse!!

I deffo have not noticed this in Daughter's Lexus mind you.

Not long after the dash lights went out aside from the VSC and check engine lights - lost the lot, speedo, rev counter, total blackout!! - also as Sims mentioned somewhere the driver's side lock failed on central locking, not sure about windows - going to go out and have a look in a bit, pull that ECU fuse, see what comes up if anything on my oBD reader (cheapo chinese jobbie unfortunately).

Otherwise what a cracking car :)