Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

Ah ok, if it’s nothing more than trolling I won’t bother poking rich

No, poke him anyway. OP could just be bonkers. Would certainly be enjoyable farce to read about - it would be cheaper and easier to fabricate a new R14 than restore that Regency!!

Even communist Dacia didn't bother to buy the R14 tooling in 1982 when production ended. You could probably buy the lot for £50 even today!

This is the last one I saw in the wild in France, back in 2016:

29364821294_f00ca9c4be_b.jpg

Renault 14 GTL by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I went through the same town the following year, sadly it wasn't there then. It doesn't come up on a French online database I use so I fear it may have been scrapped since.

Or - hopefully - changed hands and re registered. I didn't see many older cars on the old style 1234AB56 plates, most were onto the AB123CD new type.

Guest MattJY

Moi a troll? I don’t know where that came from?

I can assure you I am not I am just a bonkers newbie with an R14 obscession.

If you don’t believe me, pm me and I’ll send you my mobile and you are welcome to call me.

Matt

Moi a troll? I don’t know where that came from?

I can assure you I am not I am just a bonkers newbie with an R14 obscession.

If you don’t believe me, pm me and I’ll send you my mobile and you are welcome to call me.

Matt

Lol well time will tell - we've had more than one autoshiter with an unhealthy interest in obscure Renaults who turned out to live under the bridge!

Sorry! It just has hints of Diesel Maxi and after tastes of Isis 20.

Personally I enjoy it when we get such posters on here so I'm certainly not using the term negatively

Surely there's nothing to say that trolling cannot become a practical joke including restoring a truly knackered car?

ETA if you do get the Regency R14, I still have my Haynes manual and I'll even pay the postage!

Guest MattJY

I am hearing back that Rich never collected it so it’s been scrapped.

He’s checking with the farmer to have this confirmed.

I don’t know what I can do to halt these troll claims I think they are a little unfair. I have rebuilt many cars, mainly Italians and fancy recreating my first car, seems pretty logical.

Oh and I have the Haynes manual thanks.

Maybe if I give you some more history of my first R14...things that only an owner would know:

I remember driving to Bournemouth on one of the first outings and lost all gears except 3rd and 4th. It was because I sheered the quadrant selector.

When I went round corners with a half spent tank the fuel gauge needle would drop to empty.

Snapped a clutch cable every few months that I carried a spare in the end. This was due to the convoluting route / bodge round the carb for the RHD

I used to forever be replacing front driveshafts from knocking on sharp cornering.

These are things only an owner of an R14 would know.

I remember when I was a child ours breaking down in Kidderninster due to a loss of drive and dad calling the AA. He was a CB'er at the time and had a big aerial on the road. A fellow CB'er came past and towed us to a safer place as we were on the ring road in a dangerous spot.

I still think you need to consider the LHD option if you badly want one. You could wait ten years for a RHD to turn up. If one ever does and if you wait 20 years you might have to fit an electric motor to it judging by some predictions!

I don't think you are a troll. If loving obscure French cars makes you one then I am one too as are a few members on here! I would like to know which established member you are supposed to be the troll version of?!

Nearly had a moment of excitement. I put an ad on one of the car parts sites looking for a Renault 14, complete car. I actually got a reply yesterday, sent them quite a detailed message and they rang me! Sadly they thought I wanted an engine rebuild so excitement over! I was sceptical about it working and even more so now!

Guest MattJY

Nearly had a moment of excitement. I put an ad on one of the car parts sites looking for a Renault 14, complete car. I actually got a reply yesterday, sent them quite a detailed message and they rang me! Sadly they thought I wanted an engine rebuild so excitement over! I was sceptical about it working and even more so now!

Yep as expected, I have done this quite a few times and got nada back.

I don’t know what I can do to halt these troll claims I think they are a little unfair. I have rebuilt many cars, mainly Italians and fancy recreating my first car, seems pretty logical.

Best ignore the troll nonsense, it’s only one person.

Feel free to share more about these Italians...any Lancias in there, for instance? Big baggy Fiat saloons?

Guest MattJY

Done a few. Mainly 916 Alfa GTV’s and recently a very rare 3.2 Phase 3 Spider. Currently doing a 2.4 Brera that has been a nightmare. Last diesel I take on.

Guest MattJY

Id rather not go over the pain again, but basically it wouldnt start cold or warm. Ended up being the head gasket amongst other things. 

Its at the paint shop now and when it comes back it will be out the door and put to the back of my mind.

Next up is a refresh of my 69 Opel GT, which I will gladly start a new thread on then the R14 when it comes around...sods law it will be the minute I have stripped the Opel.

Yes good site...bookmarked.

It’s all the ones I know about but usually have to visit 3 separate sites to find them. All LHD unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

I have just tried that find a part thing and selected the 'complete car' option, will see if anything happens but I am certainly not holding my breath!

To revive this old thread and to keep it trundling along...

I take it you never heard anything back, I didn't. 

Still search every day on some Euro bookmarked sites, all LHD, surely a RHD will pop up overseas at some point. 

Ive followed up on the UK/Ireland leads I had, all been scrapped.

On a positive side, there are loads of parts in France and all at give away prices but I will buy a LHD as a spares car.

Still keeping the faith :)

Did any 14s make it to Malta or Cyprus? They'd be RHD.

I have a mate on Cyprus's dad looking out for one. There are loads of cars just by the sides of the road.

Its a Google Earth job I am not looking forward to.

• 3 months later...

Well, what a start to 2019.....like buses, nothing then 4 come along at once!

I will only be requiring one of them so PM me and Ill take your details then pass on the ones I don't want to you when I have made a decision:

All RHD UK cars:

1. 1981 White 1.2 TL perfect 28k miles

2. 1981 Blue 1.2 TL dry stored for decades but the cleanest shell I have ever seen, except the door bottoms that have gone. 26k miles

3. 1982 1.4 TS White with red interior, goosed I think

4. 1983 1.4 TS Burgundy Regency (Sunroof) with Tan interior, rust free but someone else's mothballed restoration, requires putting back to work and a full respray

Well, what a start to 2019.....like buses, nothing then 4 come along at once!

I will only be requiring one of them so PM me and Ill take your details then pass on the ones I don't want to you when I have made a decision:

All RHD UK cars:

1. white TL perfect

2. Blue TL dry stored for decades but the cleanest shell I have ever seen, except the door bottoms that have gone

3. White TS, goosed I think

4. Burgandy Regency, rust free but someone elses mothballed restoration, requires full respray

post-17915-0-94144800-1548679893_thumb.jpg