Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

Someone else here must remember a series in Car magazine around 1989 where two of their staffers were given £500 each to buy a car and race to Edinburgh from London. One bought a Renault 14,the other an 18. Whichever one it was bought the 18 won then the next couple of instalments had them both prepping and racing the cars at Wimbledon.

Edinburgh For A Monkey??

I don't think they were rare when new. They sold fairly well I think after a slow start. They were modern in 1977 when we were still buying RWD saloons. They were liked by the UK motoring press. I remember seeing a few around in the 80's. I think many only lasted around 8 years (ours included) so they disappeared quickly.

They were quite popular in scotlandshire; back in the eighties I remember quite a few 14s smoking about, all with frilly rear arches.

They were quite popular in scotlandshire; back in the eighties I remember quite a few 14s smoking about, all with frilly rear arches.

I think the TS that someone (may be on here) has restored is in Scotland. The blue X reg which appeared on Photobucket or Flickr was in the north east of Scotland but sadly appears to have been scrapped after it appeared on the internet.

Our first 79 green GTL did that, came out one morning and noticed the bonnet an inch high on one side. Made the mistake of opening the bonnet and “POP” up came the strut!

So it was a common problem then? Will definately check that area in the future, the one I had was fine there, it was the rear that was rotten.

Agreed. It showed genuine levels of enthusiasm and knowledge, not just taking the pee out of rubbish old cars.

Sadly no 14s seen on this year's French holiday. Yet?

Keep us posted lol (enjoy your holiday). We have a different French student apprentice at work every year, on a years placement. When I show them a Renault 14 they never appear to have ever seen one!

Talking about 14s with my father this weekend (he hates them) and him beeing a son of a Renault dealership  from 1947 till 1986 he said that the 14s lasted about 7-8 years mainly because of the salt(I knew that...) being used in winters in The Netherlands

He rememberd a orange 77 wich had corrosion problems after 6 month from new, and had to be resprayed..

His generation( in his 80s) is not a huge fan of the cars I have, he is very suprised with what I buy, sometimes and think they were all gone..

There has only been one occasion he wanted to take a car for a spin...a R16TX.(in 1992..)..he sticks to his C5 

Guest MattJY

The early 14's suffered from the turret pop the later ones not so much. 

If you look at the turret on the later ones, they have stone chip around the turrets on the engine side. Suppose it helped to some degree.

Anyway, after the early turret pop, as soon as I got my 82 14, I undersealed the front arches and put a spray wax all over the inner wings. It certainly worked. Use to re underseal it every year too.

Guest MattJY

Is this a 14 or an 11? Or something else? Dvla says it's on sorn and is 1397ccattachicon.gif20180812_172937.jpg

Yep, 11 as the 14 was 1360cc not 1397cc plus you can see the boot spoiler.

Had two of them. A 1.7 Electronic which was lovely and a not so nice 1.4 Boston which looked girlie in white.