Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

I don't think they were rare when new. They sold fairly well I think after a slow start. They were modern in 1977 when we were still buying RWD saloons. They were liked by the UK motoring press. I remember seeing a few around in the 80's. I think many only lasted around 8 years (ours included) so they disappeared quickly.

Yeah plenty on the roads when I was a kid. Our TL was new in 77, dad sold it in 85 and I think it went on a couple of years after that, probably about average life expectancy for a car of the time. Resale values were probably dogshit by the time production ended though!

Reading this thread is a great antidote to the insanity of modern life.  People actually want to make an effort to find a Renault 14.  Gives me hope.  

I have a friend who lives in Southern France.  Nice I think.  I could ask him if he sees them at all.  He has an old type Fiat 500 so must be almost 'one of us'.

Reading this thread is a great antidote to the insanity of modern life.  People actually want to make an effort to find a Renault 14.  Gives me hope.  

I have a friend who lives in Southern France.  Nice I think.  I could ask him if he sees them at all.  He has an old type Fiat 500 so must be almost 'one of us'.

I think a lot of it is nostalgia. My three favourite cars are the three (including the Renault 14) I knew during my teenage years when I started becoming very interested in cars and spending hours readings my parents copies of Motoring Which. I think it is also part of keeping me close to my late father in some strange way.

For me the Renault 14 is a quirky car which a certain character typical of French cars of the time and that ticks my boxes, I also like being different I suppose.

It is strange how we latch onto certain cars.

Guest MattJY

I think a lot of it is nostalgia. My three favourite cars are the three (including the Renault 14) I knew during my teenage years when I started becoming very interested in cars and spending hours readings my parents copies of Motoring Which. I think it is also part of keeping me close to my late father in some strange way.

For me the Renault 14 is a quirky car which a certain character typical of French cars of the time and that ticks my boxes, I also like being different I suppose.

It is strange how we latch onto certain cars.

I have one of my favourite 3 already, 1969 Opel GT, great little car. Renault 14 obviously plus the hens teeth that is the Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale...never gona happen!

Any yes, back in the day there were loads of 14's on UK roads. With the body issues, most had gone to the rust heap in the sky by the 90's as 10 years from a 14 in our conditions was pushing it.

I think there was some sort of scrappage scheme in France during the 1990s that decimated R14 numbers, but seems to be good numbers still in fields/barns, plus the occasional restored example like that orange one which is apparently for sale circa 4000 Euros.

Guest MattJY

Yes, LHD on the continent there are loads for sale, Spain, France, German and Holland there are probably 30-40 for sale at present. 

RHD UK, nada for the past 3 years! :(

The last Renault 14 I personally spotted on UK roads was a fairly shabby-looking gold example, leaving a car park outside Annan in early 1996.

I think I may even have taken a photo of it - even then it dimly occurred to me that I might not see another one.

I'll have a look for the pic, though I doubt there's very much to see in terms of a numberplate (owing to dusk/flash combo).

I have an IXO model of one though, and that's enough to do me.

post-17915-0-04960900-1533904306_thumb.png

Fair play though; I appreciate the determination shown to play the long game and track down a virtually extinct rhd example, rather than take the easy way out and hop on a ferry to get one that's easily available.

Sheer bloody-mindedness in the face of reason: it's the Autoshite way, no?

I remember there being loads of 14s around even in the late 1980s. A teacher at school had a Regency model, I think she was called Mrs Reid.

I have the same IXO model plus 2 1/24 Bburago models in good order. I'd love a Spanish Dinky version.

I can recall the date of the last 12 and 16 I saw but not a 14.

There is an Ayrshire example which was recently restored, MSD 105W but I don't think its currently OTR.

I can't remember the last one I saw on the road, but our next door neighbour bought his daughter one for Christmas in about 1987. It was a dark blue metallic T-reg but I can't remember the trim level. It lasted about two years from memory, longer than her older brother's A-reg Capri LS in dark green.

You should buy a cheap LHD one because as soon as you get it, three excellent RHD examples will appear. Always the way. Consider a French one as a decoy to lure the others out of hiding!

Worse case scenario - two Renault 14’s. Got 99 problems but ownership of two defunct French mid range hatches ain’t one...

What happened to it? Seems a shame it survived on French soil for almost thirty years, only to finish up cubed after a couple of years across the channel.

Sadly I happened to it, I neglected to get it waxoiled, I kept putting it off. 

The first MOT when I got it registered here, it needed £300 of welding but the garage were surprised how good it was underneath. I spent time tidying the bodywork (well making a slight improvement) and getting things like finding the name badges and tidying the interior but forgetting the most important part.

The second MOT it needed no welding whatsoever despite it getting snowed on etc over winter, so I completely forgot about my plans  to get it treated.

The third MOT "you need lots of welding, the suspension is being held on by rust, £1,000 please" (a second opinion backed it up).

I sold it on ebay to someone who was a welder, next thing I know it is back on ebay and a few weeks later someone from here sends me a video of a LHD Renault 14 being banger raced. A shame as it had two new brake calipers which are very hard to find and two new rear shock absorbers and mechanically drove really well. The only mechanical problem was the gearchange linkage bush wasn't where it was supposed to be so the gear linkage was held together by cable ties which made changing gear interesting, it lasted like that for two years though. 

So I am already getting the Maxi waxoiled when they have done the work on it and when I do get another old Renault or similar I will not be making that mistake again!

I'm a bit anxious to tell you all, but one of my mates bought a 14 TS 10 days ago....they are also very rare in The Netherlands, I know of 8 R14s, and have a 14 GTL from 1983, wich is the last one sold over here.

Most of the examples are imports from France, original NL are all gone, they did not last long, we all know why.

So...little of R14 madness also over here.

R14 TS from 1981 alque green (977) (imported from France 2010-2011)

Non original paint, respray from France...not to top standard, but will do.

In The Netherlands a back wiper was standard (option in France)

4- speed manuel 

Electric windows and central locking

77.000km

Wish list:

Chrome door handels outside (one fitted)

New tires....

Wheels need little work and..have to be two-tone again

New striping front wings (on order)

5- speed..

Rev counter not working (maybe an easy fix)

Back wiper

New chrome moulding windshield and back window(on order)post-17630-0-26993100-1533914306_thumb.jpg

That is indeed gorgeous.

Between my father and my aunt we had five 14s in the family, all from new. Ive just been looking them all up on the DVLA website: the first, a very early one on an R plate, lasted 9 years; the middle three 12-14 years; the last one, a silver TL on a W, lasted an impressive 19 years.

I think that’s pretty average longevity for the era.

It’s also a myth that they were seen as crap cars. The styling wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, being rather ahead of its time, but CAR magazine and What Car of the time rated them well for comfort, liveliness and practicality, at least on a par with the Golf, bettered only by the later Astra Mk1 when that arrived at the end of 1980. Transmission noise was the main gripe; I do remember them being a bit whiny.

I will buy one at some point, ideally a TS. LHD will do me fine.

Someone else here must remember a series in Car magazine around 1989 where two of their staffers were given £500 each to buy a car and race to Edinburgh from London. One bought a Renault 14,the other an 18. Whichever one it was bought the 18 won then the next couple of instalments had them both prepping and racing the cars at Wimbledon.