Dollywobbler's Rover 45 - STOP - Carry on.

dollywobbler

Could be the reason my car smells a bit naff. Bet changing one on the 75 is a joy.

Its not that easy as some, but not that bad.

You also get to check the drain holes, which can cause major problems if blocked.

Did one on a mates ZT a few years back. He was complaining his car kept misting up when he put the air con on.

Drain holes were blocked and the pollen filter had almost half dissolved.

He was really peeved as he always paid his local garage to service it every year, and he was charged for pollen filter replacement.

If only there were all as easy as in a Honda Jazz :)

Did you check that the engine was still there?

I didn't have time. The light merely blinked, so I made assumptions.

I'm starting to learn how to get the best out of the gearbox now. I can see why some say the engine and gearbox are ill-suited. They aren't really, but the software in the gearbox is. It's far too lazy. Normally, I welcome laziness in an automatic - it's kind of what they're all about. I find BMW E39s far too eager to kick-down. It irritates me. The Lexus was ideal - it rarely allowed the engine to get beyond 3000rpm, while still making swift progress. The engine had torque, and the gearbox used it. Lovely.

Halve the engine size and torque is not so plentiful, but in normal mode, the transmission has a habit of not dropping down enough gears. Knocking the lever across into sport mode sorts things out nicely, and is exactly the same motion I'd deploy in the Lexus to knock it into third - pull the lever to the right. That gets the engine right back into its sweet spot of 3500rpm and more, and it's so smooth that the high revs aren't that grating. Ok, when it gets towards the red line, it can be, but I've usually lifted off by then. Unless I'm overtaking...

But, the composed ride and sweet handling make it a joy to drive around here. I know it's firmer than a 400, but it still manages to near-enough float over speed humps, but it goes where you point it on twisty roads too. I really do think I could get to like it, even if I do still wish it was a hatchback. Why did they not make a 45 V6 hatch?

When they launched the 45, the saloon was supposed to be the premium* option. I'm not so keen on the looks of the hatch, the saloon has Richard Woolley's magic touch.

I've never liked the saloon. I think the rear lights look bloody awful. Whereas facelift hatch rear lights look ace.

DANGER. Though it didn't fall on me, so maybe not as bad as it looks. Can't drive the Rover onto my ramps on the level. Also gives more working room, though I never felt that comfortable even just reaching under - hence the extra wheels!

DjiE6g-W4AAZll8.jpg

These were well worth replacing though!

DjiEWorXcAYWFVO.jpg

The difference in how the car performs is remarkable.

https://twitter.com/HubNutVids/status/1024713102938578944

It now sounds bloody awesome at lower RPM. It was clearly struggling to breathe with that air filter. 

I'm forced to admit that getting the Matiz home is proving more problematic than I hoped. I think I might be better off throwing some money at the problem. So, if anyone has any garage recommendations for South Birmingham (it's in Acocks Green), do let me know. It needs (probably) the inlet manifold modification, a CV joint, an exhaust. Wondering if it might be sensible to get the timing belt done as well, though it has had a head gasket. Not sure it had the belt done while convenient though.

Yet another fill-up. £60 for 290 miles. Turns out that if you fill up every time the fuel light comes on, it's pretty much bang on ten gallons to fill, which at least makes the sums easy!

I'm off oop north next week, and I plan to take it gently. Since filling up this morning, I've managed to avoid going anywhere near the red line, so let's see if I can achieve some economy...

One thing I have noticed is that the torque converter lock-up doesn't seem to kick in until 60mph. It being a five-speed gearbox, it's already fairly low on revs come cruising speed. That doesn't help I guess, as most of those 290 miles were done on twisty, hill Welsh roads. Not much opportunity for a waft.

If you want matiz sorting message me and it can be arranged....my wife is from Acocks Green - Got a car going from Luton to Brum tomorrow in fact so I should be heading up there but normally up there at least once a week.....

Best friend has a garage in Highgate,

Shout if I can help....

We're agreed then. Only an idiot would buy a 45 saloon.

They done the V6 in the MGZS hatch. So in theory you could buy an MG and roverise it with 45 bits.

I like the idea of this, particularly as its the opposite of what everyone else was doing ten years ago.....

You'd end up with more POWAH as well, as I believe the MG variants were in a higher state of tune.

But it would be a bloody massive amount of work to end up with a car that would be near worthless anyway.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

They done the V6 in the MGZS hatch. So in theory you could buy an MG and roverise it with 45 bits.

I like the idea of this, particularly as its the opposite of what everyone else was doing ten years ago.....

You'd end up with more POWAH as well, as I believe the MG variants were in a higher state of tune.

But it would be a bloody massive amount of work to end up with a car that would be near worthless anyway.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Tempting as it is, I'm not sure the MGs came with an auto option sadly. I'll just convert a 45 hatch to V6. How hard can it be? [this will never happen]