Skoda Favorit £700

Fabergé Greggs

I doubt the Skoda would cope well with a Welsh winter either.

I beg to differ.

I know we dont have Welsh winters down here but we had a bit of snow last winter. We work for Royal Mail and the day before, knowing the snow was coming, our boss said we had to make all reasonable efforts to get to work. So the next day it had snowed so we got up and drove to work in the Favorit, picking up two other posties on the way who'd decided to walk. When we arrived about fifteen of about 160 staff had arrived but no bosses. Someone got the office manager on the phone who thanked us for our efforts but told us to go home again. Had no trouble going up the hills at all.

By mid afternoon the Fav was still the only car in our close that had been out.

post-20743-0-73304400-1543070284_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-06456500-1543070369_thumb.jpg

Someone tried going out in their Bora and got stuck on the way back only yards from their house. No amount of grit and pushing from the neighbours would shift it so he just left it there.

post-20743-0-47921200-1543070469_thumb.jpg

I beg to differ.

I know we dont have Welsh winters down here but we had a bit of snow last winter. We work for Royal Mail and the day before, knowing the snow was coming, our boss said we had to make all reasonable efforts to get to work. So the next day it had snowed so we got up and drove to work in the Favorit, picking up two other posties on the way who'd decided to walk. When we arrived about fifteen of about 160 staff had arrived but no bosses. Someone got the office manager on the phone who thanked us for our efforts but told us to go home again. Had no trouble going up the hills at all.

By mid afternoon the Fav was still the only car in our close that had been out.

attachicon.gif20180302_064731.jpgattachicon.gif20180302_074836.jpg

Someone tried going out in their Bora and got stuck on the way back only yards from their house. No amount of grit and pushing from the neighbours would shift it so he just left it there.

attachicon.gif20180302_054444.jpg

You misunderstand me. I'm sure the Fav would cope in the conditions just fine. It's the effect of being subjected to regular salt that would concern me.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, shaun-murray-63 said:

Hi , I own the Skoda now , it's turned out to be a fantastic little car . I have done some videos of it on youtube if you put the reg number M872 MKP in the serch bar you will see them if you like my channel is Shaun Murray although hubnut had it before me.

S1530002.JPG

Wow, it's looking mighty fine! It was indeed a great car. 

Ooh, I missed this post. Welcome to Favorit ownership. They are great cars for bombing round town. No power anything but everything is so light you don't need it. And visibility is great. Not powerful but not heavy either so takes off like a scalded cat even if it runs out of puff higher up. 

I had a visit from a friend last week. He owns a mk2 Golf GTD and has a mk1 Focus as his daily so he doesn't do modern and is sympathetic to old cars. He took it for a run and was grinning like a Cheshire cat and actually laughing out loud when he changed gear. He was really surprised how good it is to drive. 

That's brilliant. That needs its own thread on here, though you might not want to type it all out again. I have done a lengthier reply on briskoda but it's good to see it going well. As I said, the car used to live about a mile from me and when it disappeared I thought that was it so it's great to see it not only reappear but reappear in style. This has made my day. Particularly love the Monaco shots. 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, Yoss said:

That's brilliant. That needs its own thread on here, though you might not want to type it all out again. I have done a lengthier reply on briskoda but it's good to see it going well. As I said, the car used to live about a mile from me and when it disappeared I thought that was it so it's great to see it not only reappear but reappear in style. This has made my day. Particularly love the Monaco shots. 

Cheers.  It was the second car of a older gentleman who had bought it 13 years ago as a stop gap and grown rather fond of it, but it got very little use in those years, just popping down to the tip and shops.  I suspect climbing 2500m Alpine passes were something of a shock to the system!  Getting a bit crusty on arches and front turrets so hoping Mr MOT man is kind in October