any mk2 polo sniffers in here?

steveo3002

fitted mpi fuel inj from a mk2f into my mk2 , cant seem to get it sorted

suffers from a bad idle,bit bumpy pop pop sound and refuses to start hot - between 3-20 mins , will start with bts undone , drives fairly okay above idle 

a few things ive tried /done

timing set as per the book 
air bypass mixtured tired various settings ...its set to 14.1 afr via a wideband gauge at the moment
tried another dizzy /cap/arm
tried another coil
correct plugs fitted
earths good
tried another tps
no obvious air leaks + charcoal can deleted
correct 3 bar pump fitted
new genuine blue sender plus tried others i had laying around 
spare set of used inj tried with new o rings
spare afm tried 
blocked the isv at the tb elbow- no change in running

engine basics should be fine as ive had the car driving for 2 years on a carb ..ive not touched the internals since

has crude diagnostics , no codes showing

still waiting on a ecu to try...them im pretty much out of ideas , anyone localish to cambridge that knows these , or a garage that remembers old cars , none of the garages ive spoke to have any ideas and dont really work on old toot

post-20045-0-22671800-1531307861_thumb.jpg

Might be worth testing the wires from the temp sender to the ecu. One of my Polos displayed the same symptoms about 10 years ago - one of the pins in the blue temp sender plug was seriously corroded causing a duff signal.

yeah it kinda points toward it 

diag live data shows accurate reading from it though , and ive used the multimeter to "beep" its continuity and wiggled it and its checking out ...guess it might be worth running a new wire

can you describe more on what happened with yours ...im really struggling here

thanks

yeah it kinda points toward it

diag live data shows accurate reading from it though , and ive used the multimeter to "beep" its continuity and wiggled it and its checking out ...guess it might be worth running a new wire

can you describe more on what happened with yours ...im really struggling here

Mine was just running over rich with a lumpy idle - to start it when hot needed the throttle wide open.

• 4 weeks later...

right ..got the car beside another running gt and after scratching about we found i had continuity between the fuel rail /isv plug and ecu pin 3 (i think) and the other car didnt..turns out the fuel pump relay even though it had the correct amount of pins and the right diagram the pins werent in the same places

this has cured the hot start problem( i hope )

still idles a bit rough...engine sounds okay from the bay , but the exh tip is all pop pop putt putt

connecting the new bosch o2 sensor makes the idle worse , gave it a try but had to pull over and disconect it  

right sent the injectors away thinking it might be the cause of the rough idle

heard back...one is unusable , another suggests its replaced so might be onto something now 

was tempted to diy clean em with the aerosol and small battery as per youtube , wouldnt have proved anything so worth having em checked  

Can't offer any suggestions re the running issues I'm afraid, lots of experience with vag shite but this is somewhat before my time.

Meanwhile, do you mind me asking who you used for the injector check?

Currently toying with the idea of sending some of mine off to 'Injectortune' for a cleanup at present...

Thanks for the link.

It sounds as though you've tracked the issue down to a FUBAR injector, but as another 'stab in the dark' do these have issues with crank position sensors? I know they can be to blame for a hard/no start condition and iffy idle on much of the VAG range and other stuff too...