Reluctant Sale. Non Running Jaguar 3.0 S Type. £250. Be a Shame to bridge it.

0ldCh0d

As some of you on here may know, Last year, around October, I bought a 2003, 53 Plate Jaguar 3.0 S Type. I got it MOT'd & sold it on to my Dad, who really enjoyed smoking around in it. 

In January this year however, it decided to FTP.  

What happened was, it was parked up as normal, my Dad went out to it the following morning, put the key in the ignition, turned on the ignition, turned the key to start it &........Nothing. No Click, Just nothing.

Ignition lights all come on ok, it just will NOT turn over. Various messages on pinging up on the display, ASC Failure, ABS Fault etc. (This has only been since this happened, the car was going sweet up until this point).

First thought was the Battery, as it is a Jaguar battery. But the battery was showing as fully charged on the battery tester.

This was in January this year....& it has been sat since, looking like an abandoned car. (Still taxed, MOT'd & insured)

Last week, my Dad & I tried a brand spanking new battery, which was not cheap, as it is specific to the S Type.

Installed the brand new battery.....fingers crossed, Key in the ignition, turn ignition on, lights up as it should.....turn key & Nothing.....So, pissed off by this, my Dad returned the Brand new battery & got a refund.

I have heard many things that it could be, from starter motor, Starter motor solenoid, dodgy R20 relay, Bad Earth somewhere, etc.  But, we don't have the time to spend trying to fix it.

It sounds like a piece of shit I know, but it is a solid old S Type, Not galloping with rot. & when it was working, it was a really nice car to drive & be in.

Oh & the day before it FTP'd, one of the rear exhaust back box's fell off, which happened when my dad was driving out the street, it caught the left rear bumper & popped it off the clips holding the bumper on. This still is like this.

So, I offer it on here to fellow shitters, £250, However, this price is negotiable but it would be advised to come & see it first.

It will NOT drive away, so recovery/trailer would be required. Located in West Lothian, Scotland.

Here are pictures from when I first got it.... & then, Just imagine a sort of barn find look now, as it needs a good wash.

it's reg is MV53 ZYF.

Also...in the pictures, it had just been washed, it has NOT got a water leak.

post-20267-0-05278100-1530954504_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-75346600-1530954545_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-99987500-1530954646_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-46328700-1530954681_thumb.jpg

Sounds like one of those issues that should be something simple and be a doozy to fix.

It won't of course because Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Hopefully the more helpful tips on here will result in a non-sale occurring and yer Dad can go back to wafting.

Sorry for the delay in posting back, yesterday was a hectic day for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will when i get time (maybe tomorrow) jack it up & have a look at the starter connections & maybe give it some gentle persuasion with a hammer. & have a look at the earth wire also.

I had a similar problem on my Mercedes.  Try to put the car in Neutral and starting it (I dont know if Jags allow this).  It really does sound inhibitor switch related.  It would be a great shame to get rid of what sounds like a great car for so little.

If you are mechanically inclined stick a 12v battery on the positive feed to the starter to see if its a starter issue..

The sad thing is Id guess this would be running within one hour of it being purchased.

Or move it somewhere and join the AA/RAC*

*other recovery companies that do roadside fixes are available :)