Wanted - Mini

BorniteIdentity

The problem lies with demand for export too, Trumpreich punters seem to be snapping up anything British over 25 years old, and Japan's love of the Mini is well known, both of these markets are lucrative to those with light fingers and tags & V5s bought off ebay. If you do get one, I'd put 2 rabid Dobermans inside it when not driving it, and wire it up to an 11KV power supply, I know a man in Kent who could sort you the high voltage bit, and he is a bit crazy

Thats a lovely example! Think the colour is Java green? I'm a bit of a hardcore modifier, but I'd be very tempted to leave that pretty much as is, maybe cooper s discs on the front. As someone who is in to minis £3k is probably what its worth, if not a little cheap, and it will be an investment, you'll make more on interest with it than in the bank! Its been mentioned, an 850 isnt going to pull the skin off a rice pudding, nor a 998 or 1275 unless seriously modded for that matter, but they are bloody fun to drive. Please dont say its had oversills put on though  :shock:

I'd also say crashing as well. Don't crash, you are sat in the crumple zone. Issigonis attitude to crash safety was that the cars have good brakes and handling. So if you do, it's your own fault.

For everything you see written about Issigonis, he had some fucking stupid ideas about avoiding accidents. They ought to have pensioned him off after the mini.

My first 4 cars were Minis from the 60's and 70's. They were great despite their issues, but my expectations then were considerably lower than they are today.  

Fiat 500s were mentioned earlier  -  I have a Fiat 500 which I bought in the early 90's. They are totally different creatures, although they do share one common characteristic  -  rust!  Plus their prices are through the roof and most available these days are left hookers.

FWIW, I reckon that 850 looks a sweet little thing assuming it's not held together with wob and underseal and I would have no hesitation about it driving in modern traffic.

That is a lovely looking thing, I really like that shade on it too.

Sadly I'm from the never meet your heros school with these. A friend was and is besotted with them so he had a road going user and a mental case for the show n go weekenders.

He convinced me to take on an 850 and it didn't last a week..... before a 1380 went in. I still didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would - it was a lot of fun granted, but unless you're on a track type surface you're being deafened by the crashes and bangs inside. Sadly that really pissed me off so I got rid......

Not sure I'd take one on again with the current prices especially.

Guest Hooli

For everything you see written about Issigonis, he had some fucking stupid ideas about avoiding accidents. They ought to have pensioned him off after the mini.

I like the quote I heard once (no idea if it's true) that minis are uncomfy to keep the driver alert.

Jeez, Minis were penned by Issigonis almost sixty years ago. He had a brief, and he stuck to it. It was never meant to be a motorway cruiser, but instead capable and practical around town and city.

The bloke was way ahead of his time, and the Mini blew the competition out of the water, end of.

Bear in mind, the Triumph Herald was brand spanking new in the same year. Much as I like Vitesses, the Herald was never going to go down in history as being innovative.

Back on track, I really hope BI bought the car in question. From everything I've read of his efforts with his current fleet, the Mini would get some serious pampering from its new custodian. It looks too clean to miss out on, tbh.

my first Legal car was an 850 van...not as slow as you'd expect, but not quick either!! No servo meant that brakes were u/s over 60Mph..had most of a bed settee in the back, Datsun 120y coupe seats, full plastic dash, and chrome grill (vans came with pressed steel grill)

No stereo as you couldn't hear it anyway LOL..

this got swapped for a 1000 mini with alloys, arch extenders, wood dash with glove box...red and black

sold to father in law, who put it back to standard, sprayed it red..but it turned out Orange...

Last Mini I owned was a stolen recovered Mini 25 special edition, that required interior and few panels...swapped it for an Astra Mk1 1300

• 1 month later...

I’m bumping this up - and tagging it as wanted.

You may have read earlier this week that I was one bid off winning AngryDicky’s friend’s Mini from Copart (the stolen one).

I’d hoped that the feelings of disappointment would have faded after a couple of days, but no.

If anyone knows of a Mini - sub £2k - then can you nudge me please? MOT is not an issue - as I’m planning a bit of a work adventure and can get some monies and repairs organised very easily.

Ta

Dx

• 2 weeks later...

I’m bumping this up - and tagging it as wanted.

If anyone knows of a Mini - sub £2k - then can you nudge me please? MOT is not an issue - as I’m planning a bit of a work adventure and can get some monies and repairs organised very easily.

Ta

Dx

My tame mechanic has a 94 1.3i Cooper in his workshop which the customer wants rid of.

It has had loads and loads of money spent on it in the last couple of years but the mot welding quote was the last straw.

I'm not sure if that's the kind thing you are looking for?

Red, fairly standard looking but starting to rot a bit.

Fairly local to you.

PM if you are interested.