Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Mighty Maestro

Project

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 5,867 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:52 AM

I’d never spotted that before. Bizarrely, the proportions of the lights look equally at home in the Maestro van as they do on the considerably larger Disco. Weird.
Great to see one of these on here - must be almost ready to drive!

Not weird at all.

land rover made great press when they launched the disco about how quickly they went from concept to production.
one major thing for us engineers is that they went straight from a CAD model to cutting the tool for the roof without building any clay models, or scale models.
They saved alot of time and engineering resource but using as much as they could from other British Leyland cars.
Iirc the chassis is pretty much a range rover.
So onto the rear lights. The stylist/ designer freely admitted at the time that he'd used the ones from a maestro van and that was what forced the design of the rear uprights for the disco. And because they have tried to keep a connection the series 2 and 3 Discos have the same shape but not the actual lights.
Strange that they were then too high for some markets and they had to put some lights in the rear bumper too.
In OLLI circles the thing to do is put bulbs and wiring to them and throw the ones away from the bumper.
  • Dick Longbridge, Squirrel2 and will16 like this

#32 OFFLINE   will16

will16

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOxford

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:55 PM

Appreciate the kind words guys  :-D  Its been a labour of love really, I'm eager to start using it properly. The Disco lights I've always put down to Rover being cheap..Clever though and Mk1 discovery's werent bad cars

Loads of work done in a short period. Well done.

What is this?

a bit of dexion, but why?

It was being used as a rear shock mount  :shock: It wasnt particually welded in well, I took the bolt out and snapped it off with my hands..

Just remembered there is this H-plater in my local scrappers at the moment. Ideal for spares....

Nice! What yard is this?! Might have to go scavenging

• Remspoor likes this

My Junk - 1976 Mini 1.8 - 1988 RX7 - 1994 Maestro Van

#33 OFFLINE   greengartside

greengartside

• Full Members
  • 1,691 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationDenis Norden's drip.

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Nice! What yard is this?! Might have to go scavenging

It’s a small yard in South Norfolk, not sure whereabouts you are from though?

2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi XP - Rocket Machine.

'George Michael looking lovingly at a giant glass arse plug'  

#34 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSolihulldontchakno

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

Not weird at all.

land rover made great press when they launched the disco about how quickly they went from concept to production.
one major thing for us engineers is that they went straight from a CAD model to cutting the tool for the roof without building any clay models, or scale models.
They saved alot of time and engineering resource but using as much as they could from other British Leyland cars.
Iirc the chassis is pretty much a range rover.
So onto the rear lights. The stylist/ designer freely admitted at the time that he'd used the ones from a maestro van and that was what forced the design of the rear uprights for the disco. And because they have tried to keep a connection the series 2 and 3 Discos have the same shape but not the actual lights.
Strange that they were then too high for some markets and they had to put some lights in the rear bumper too.
In OLLI circles the thing to do is put bulbs and wiring to them and throw the ones away from the bumper.

the bumper lights was a UK thing afaik - at the time the law said tail lights and hazards must be visible with boot open (or somthing like that) so discos, vitaras, isuzus etc with the spare on the door had to have lights moved or duplicated the law got changed or relaxed some time after

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

Only a complete wank-puffin has a personalised licence plate on a Ford Mondeo!

#35 OFFLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,857 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk/Suffolk border

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

+1 on yard location please GG, I need the passenger side door mirror if its any good.

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

#36 OFFLINE   will16

will16

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOxford

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

It’s a small yard in South Norfolk, not sure whereabouts you are from though?

I’m in bloody Oxford, so quite a trek! Thank you though

#37 OFFLINE   greengartside

greengartside

• Full Members
  • 1,691 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

+1 on yard location please GG, I need the passenger side door mirror if its any good.

It’s the same yard as the Mazda 929 that was rescued, in fact the Maestro was parked in front of it.

David Yarham Salvage - 01508 482612. It’s on the road between Bungay and Norwich.
  • Angrydicky and will16 like this

#38 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

Thatcher shoehorner

• Full Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

the bumper lights was a UK thing afaik - at the time the law said tail lights and hazards must be visible with boot open (or somthing like that) so discos, vitaras, isuzus etc with the spare on the door had to have lights moved or duplicated the law got changed or relaxed some time after

Think Australia also has something in the ADRs about this, in case those big twin spare wheel carriers are fitted.

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

#39 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 17,860 posts
  • 93 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

Not so much when the rear door is open, but you must be able to see both left and right hand lamps when you're stood off to one side. Spare wheel blocks the view, so into the bumper they go.

#40 OFFLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 2,657 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Location53 Miles West Of Venus

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

Think Australia also has something in the ADRs about this, in case those big twin spare wheel carriers are fitted.

Yep, ADRs require bumper mount tail lights if there is a rear mount spare wheel.

Daily Driver - 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign, woft-a-matic
Former Daily - 1999 Hyundai Sonata bASe, RIP. 1999-2016

#41 OFFLINE   greengartside

greengartside

• Full Members
  • 1,691 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

I went to have a look at the Maestro van earlier, the passenger mirror is in great condition. I have removed it and sat it on the passenger seat should Angrydicky wish to purchase it. I didn’t ask a price as I was in a hurry this morning.

Pics.

afbf2409e2d628aac537b178fbfe6158.jpg

c90fc3f5b5462b421f30376a37a3fc33.jpgff9f4c19afc01f162f31941a50118f4b.jpg
  • michael t and Vince70 like this

#42 OFFLINE   will16

will16

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOxford

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

Another little update.. I've started driving it!! Impressions are that its not as slow as I seem to remember (but still slow), not as noisy as I thought it would be (but still sounds like a tractor). Its done about 450 miles since the start of the month, I'm slowly adding to the 233k its already got, bulk of that was a trip from Oxford to Norwich for a 13b engine for my mazda, which it coped with fine, the rest I've just been pottering about in it, I do quite enjoy it  :-D . However, we've recently had alot of heavy rain and I'd noticed that the passenger footwell was getting soaked. And then I realised that the drivers was just as bad. And then I remembered the MOT runs out at the end of the month  :shock:.  This concerns me greatly as i know it needs a fair bit doing.

Windscreen, crack over 40mm in the wiper area, wont just be the screen though as I guarantee there will be rust under the seal like every other maestro (Probably where the rains getting in??). Rust, every time I look underneath I see another bit and theres quite a few previous repairs with non magnetic materials. Handbrake, is shocking, I'd imagine its needs shoes, maybe the handbrake arm has seized? Oh and there was a brake fluid leak, would go down very gradually, and I couldnt find any leak, until driving home today when slowing for a junction my foot basically went to the floor  :? Found the leak, where a line has rusted and pinholed, of course all the fittings were well and truly seized so I cut the line and used sockets. All of this greatly annoyed me, to the point where I was going to get rid of the bastard thing and get something else. But really I want my own van, got to be retro and if this one needs these things doing, others are likely to. That and I cant find an Astramax for love not money  :mrgreen:  Enough of my moaning, I took some rubbish pics, MOT booked for 3rd November...

45316918122_a54dfd3318_c.jpg

44453703605_bf9c1a1c12_c.jpg

45316918242_61f4e98781_c.jpg

44453704115_c34ce1303b_c.jpg

• michael t and Yoss like this

#43 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,406 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

Just read the 2001 ‘Maestro Expose’ in Car Mechanics. Pete Simpson goes on to say buy them and run them into the ground.
  • will16 likes this

#44 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 5,867 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

Not so much when the rear door is open, but you must be able to see both left and right hand lamps when you're stood off to one side. Spare wheel blocks the view, so into the bumper they go.

And there was me thinking it was about the height.

#45 OFFLINE   will16

will16

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOxford

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thought I'd treat myself to an saturday afternoon of mechanics, by replacing the burst brake line. After I'd spent £50 on a bender and some tube, had to redo 2 of the flares after I'd forgot to put the fittings on the pipe beforehand  :roll: , I tried bleeding it. The bleed nipple was flud of crud so that was flushed, but I couldnt get any fluid through the bleed nipple. Crack all the connections and there was fluid going all the way into the cylinder, but not out. Am I right in thinking that this means it needs a new cylinder?

The drum and shoes are pretty badly scored too. Think I'll put the drums on the lathe and buy new shoes. I'm also gonna buy new handbrake cables and try and get that locking too. I've sort of committed to it now, everyone thinks I'm mental  :mrgreen:

44725215544_112da47b16_c.jpg

Fancy new line..

44725215324_391628a789_c.jpg

44725215474_72a7148cab_c.jpg

45397921712_8edc5efb2c_c.jpg

• Lacquer Peel, Nibblet, RayMK and 3 others like this

#46 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,916 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 AM

They're not making any new ones.  Not even in China any more.  So it's perfectly reasonable to save this 233k example.  At least on here.  CHODSPEED!

• Lacquer Peel, Nibblet and will16 like this

#47 OFFLINE   Yoss

Yoss

• Full Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 AM

I've only just found this thread. Cracking read. Good to see you're handy with spanners, welder etc... and even mention of a lathe. Just the sort of thing a van like this needs. Good job, thumbs up from me.
  • LightBulbFun and will16 like this
Škoda Felicia 1.6 SLXi
Škoda Favorit 136LS
Triumph 1300TC
AEC Routemaster with Leyland O600.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users