Barn Find Maxi and Posh* Citroen - Maxi now on the road

theorganist

Good to see you back on here Mr. Organist. That's a good find, well bagged. I keep thinking there can't be many derelict garaged cars left, after all we're not a vast country, but things keep turning up. Hope it's a straightforward recommission.

Thank you it is good to be back. I often wonder how all these cars are still hidden away, this one even features in google street view. However it is down a dead end lane in the middle of nowhere. As long as there aren't any major problems with the engine or gearbox then it should be (hopefully) fairly straight forward.

In 1976 , my dad had a £250 bonus , and my older sister got a pony she desperately wanted .. In 1977 my dad got a £250 bonus , and I didn't get a Suzuki ap50 I desperately wanted ..because Mum said they were dangerous Wisely, he bought an ex company 3 year old Maxi 1750 ,cheap, in Harvest Gold  , " in case he got made redundant and needed his own car " . It was put in the garage ,and the doors shut ...And it  never moved again , until it went for scrap, along with the 1952 Triumph Renown , when he got made redundant  25 years later , and spent some time clearing out ..

I've got the glove box handbook if you want it

I've got manuals for these including the factory one. In need?

Also, if the engine proves to be goosed, I have a great XUD engine here that would be great in this. Missing link, etc

Is that a known/easy swap ? I was just thinking how great these would be with a decent modernish engine, we had a pair of maxi's when I was a nipper, deep purple and the other a really bright green 

That's class! Doesn't look too bad from the pictures, and great seeing it coming out of hibernation for so long, always think it's quite an exciting time. Welcome back by the way, Peter, great to see you posting again.

House sounds interesting- is that being sold do you know. I want to become a recluse too.

It has been sold. I think the sale of the house has triggered the selling of the Maxi. It is a small and lovely, I would say 18th century cottage overlooking a valley down a lane, there is a pretty Methodist Chapel further up and a couple of farms and cottages around but it is very much isolated. I would just decorate it and move in however the deceased family suspect it will be vastly extended and probably stripping it of its character.

Thanks all for your encouragement and kind words and offers of books.

I won't be doing much of the work to get it on the road to be honest, although I enjoy messing with cars, if it involves more than unbolting something and refitting I tend to chicken out. Plus I seem to have so little time at the moment. Although when it is running I will be more hands on. I certainly wouldn't attempt work on brakes (been there and nearly killed myself) or anything like welding. So I won't be able to take much of the credit for getting it on the road, however I want to be there when they get it running for the first time as that is the most exciting part.

It is good to be back on the forums I will find some time this weekend to check out some of the topics I have missed.

I have seen Triggers Marina on Facebook at it does indeed look like a cracker so looking forward to seeing that develope.

It has been sold. I think the sale of the house has triggered the selling of the Maxi. It is a small and lovely, I would say 18th century cottage overlooking a valley down a lane, there is a pretty Methodist Chapel further up and a couple of farms and cottages around but it is very much isolated. I would just decorate it and move in however the deceased family suspect it will be vastly extended and probably stripping it of its character.

Well, that's what usually happens - good save on the car first though!

I never thought I'd miss seeing awful cars like Maxis. Now I struggle to tell cars apart, and half of them are white Audis anyway, the utilitarian styling and actual colour are really nice. There's an almost complete lack of 'aggression' to the look of BL products of the time, no hint of speed or performance of any kind. Which is probably completely appropriate.