Generous Project Tag - Pug 405 GTX XUD Turbo

davehedgehog31

That's very nice indeed. Tyres slicked for added win.

The tyres are actually brand new Bridgestone all season jobbies.

Strange to put 4x new tyres on a car and then flog it...

It's going well enough so far, more photos to follow next time I'm on the computer.

It has caused me a heinous injury in trying to fit my stereo however.

On this train I've just twigged why English residential streets look "different" from Scotland.

You don't roughcast anything. Seems to be a uniquely Scottish thing covering your house in little stones.

Why wouldn't you cover your dwelling in abrasive material so that any casual interaction with it results in the removal of skin and in the case of the younglings loud greeting? Because most of the time Scotland doesn't bask in mediterranean sunshine, this is an aberration and normal service of gales, sleet, low grey overcast and sub-10C temperatures will be resumed shortly. It's a hangover from when scumbag employers who didn't pay their slaves enough to afford to put a roof over their head were compelled by self-interest to build housing for them to live in, roughcast means you can use cheapshit bricks and not have the insta-hovel dissolve in scottish weather or be uninhabitably damp; compared to the mean streets of the home counties Scotlandshire is like the north face of the Eiger climatically.

Strange to put 4x new tyres on a car and then flog it...

Is this not what everyone does? I usually manage to inadvertently include a full tank of fuel as well.

Gave it an oil and filter change yesterday.

List of faults so far...

Needs new driver door check strap - ordered.

Sunroof only tilts, slides back an inch or so bu thats your lot... strange as it did work when I drove it home and has since stopped. 

Rear left electric window inoperable. 

Remote locking doesn't work...

Other than that, it's good going so far.

Rear left electric window inoperable.

Remote locking doesn't work...

Behold the great automotive wonder of the 20th century. The self healing car. The window previously devoid of any sign of life, now working as good as the day it left the factory with absolutely zero intervention.

Spent about six hours over this weekend giving this the full treatment, outside anyway. Clay bar, polished and waxed.

A good opportunity to find all the little cosmetic issues you've missed but have to say this is really very good for a 24 year old car.

Pictures were taken around 10:15pm, so excuse the poor light..

The 407 can be spied in the background. It's going on Tuesday, my mates mum is buying it. I really am very sad to see it go, not necessarily a well liked car on these boards, but it's a fantastic cruiser and effortlessly rapid in all real world applications. I've asked for first refusal when she comes to sell, so although it leaves me a fairly modern caterpillar, it may someday return as a beautiful fully fledged chod.

574e764fc0ca6612d46cfaf87674860d.jpg

3b2b1c6566fc1921f2eb85ec59ec3415.jpg

5e12e51f3e1a856e17543cbf9e84c62f.jpg

Edit to add - The alloy wheel centre caps have now been returned to the boot!

It looks stunning but those new font numberplates with country identifiers make me go "agh"

Yeah, I completely agree. I'd like to replace them, preferably with a Peugeot dealer plate of that vintage... I'm not sure who the supplying dealer was but I think the GH suggests "South West London" area.

That's really looking good now! Did you have any joy with the remote locking, is the key working properly etc?

I haven't yet, the key works fine in the door, as does the central locking for all four doors. The little light inside the key fob does come on when pressing the button, so sadly probably not just a battery! I'll probably look at it this weekend, but I don't fancy it being an easy fix.

It's annoying, but not £130 annoying;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/142824161783?clk_rvr_id=1592305019146&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=142824161783&rmvSB=true

I would imagine the remote not working means either the plip remote circuit board or the receiver just in front of the sunroof has stopped working.  Just because the light comes on on the plip does not mean all is OK...  It's easy enough to prize the receiver unit out to check all is connected, but I imagine it would be.  Double check the plip batteries are fresh too.

I have a spare remote & working plip key combo or two stashed away just in case, might be persuaded to part with one if all else fails.

Very nice by the way, but I would say that.

Just for starters check the key in the dark. The infra red led is visible to the human eye, not just the one to indicate its operating. If it does glow then it's more likely to be a problem with the receiver. Being an old pug, check connections, especially earths and maybe even provide an alternative temporary earth to rule it out fully.

I would imagine the remote not working means either the plip remote circuit board or the receiver just in front of the sunroof has stopped working.  Just because the light comes on on the plip does not mean all is OK...  It's easy enough to prize the receiver unit out to check all is connected, but I imagine it would be.  Double check the plip batteries are fresh too.

I have a spare remote & working plip key combo or two stashed away just in case, might be persuaded to part with one if all else fails.

Very nice by the way, but I would say that.

Will dig into it first, keep putting it off. But if all else fails I may twist your arm for one of your plip and receiver combos! Also, thanks very much, I am very happy with it!

Just for starters check the key in the dark. The infra red led is visible to the human eye, not just the one to indicate its operating. If it does glow then it's more likely to be a problem with the receiver. Being an old pug, check connections, especially earths and maybe even provide an alternative temporary earth to rule it out fully.

Thanks mate, will check the above out. 

infra red? - use camera phone to see if its working :D

Good tip Sir - Car keys are in the house but will check that tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on this one - nil. 

Been driving it though, it went 220 miles to Stranraer and back on Saturday and performed dutifully, but not really looked at any of it's minor issues. The behind dash buzzing is doing my head in and will have to be addressed as a matter of urgency. I'm lacking motivation, knowing it will probably be an ungrateful big French bastard. 

I think I still prefer the Rover. I hope it's not a case of "don't meet your heroes".  :?