OMG GGG Fucking Fourbanger Führerwagen - Now Force Ale again!

Junkman

That creaky balljoint was playing on my mind while we were going down through the hairpins! 

ip0LjUz.jpg

The car's fabulous though, I love it. For the first quarter of the journey I thought it was quite pitifully slow, but this was a combination of me being too delicate with the controls, the quarter mile of throttle pedal travel and the gearbox. I should have remembered the gearbox, since it was the same on the 300D - quite determined to hide the car's performance unless ordered to do otherwise with a lead foot. 

Unlike the 300D, this one is actually hiding some performance. It moves with enthusiasm when asked and the engine is so smooth, I'd have never guessed it was a four cylinder. Hell, I'm still not convinced and I've counted the plug leads. 

They are simply great cars. They’re still in the danger zone as ‘cheap transport’ - but fortunately most people would rather drop a grand on a MK3 Mondeo with chrome than a w124 - so fingers crossed for a favourable attrition rate hereonin.

Ps. I was quick to get the ball joint done on my w201. They can go spectacularly!

They have a habit of collapsing at low speeds!

Low speeds dutifully avoided.

That will be fine then, never goes at slow speeds.

See.

That creaky balljoint was playing on my mind while we were going down through the hairpins!

The abyss was only 300 feet or so, so there was nothing to worry about.

The car's fabulous though, I love it.

They are simply great cars.

I hope that whatever you are suffering from is treatable on the NHS.

Nein, Nein, Nein! I blame the bloke that Hitler shouts at in that clip that does the rounds every 20 mins or so. Feigelein or summat.

Feigling. Which is what everyone seems to be nowadays.

Why is everybody scared of everything?

BTW I found your Flicker Her Otto Von Junkman :)

Brilliant. Hours of terminal boredom are ahead of you.

They’re still in the danger zone as ‘cheap transport’ - but fortunately most people would rather drop a grand on a MK3 Mondeo with chrome than a w124 - so fingers crossed for a favourable attrition rate hereonin.

The wishbone is on order, so at least this heap of shit sadly will live on.

The wishbone is on order, so at least this heap of shit sadly will live on.

I had to resort to the main dealer to fix mine as no one else could handle the massive spring compressor needed.

£844 ish all told. Rick, who has been to fix the x1/9 and the roll bar bushes on the merc said he’s done it before but it’s tricky without the right tools.

Sadly not. I bought this German piece of shit because someone snatched a V12 Jag from under my nose, remember?

Regarding 504s, you continue to vastly overestimate my income bracket.

Familie Müller will let you have theirs for 2500 or maybe even less. Even has autobox and a hitch.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=266343004

or take 504 in disguise for 1400€. Mechanically early 505 are identical to 504: same engine, drivetrain brakes, etc

https://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/peugeot-505-gr-erste-serie-1980-original-unverbastelt-geldersheim/266352549.html

I had to resort to the main dealer to fix mine as no one else could handle the massive spring compressor needed.

£844 ish all told. Rick, who has been to fix the x1/9 and the roll bar bushes on the merc said he’s done it before but it’s tricky without the right tools.

The right tool is £60.00.

For a standard compressor, not Mercedes.

No, it's a Mercedes specific compressor.  I know because I did the springs on mine recently.

Granted it's a cheap Chinese made tool, but it does what it's meant to and allowed be to safely remove the spring without death happening.

It's one that goes up inside the spring, and compresses two platform clamps and the rod itself closes up as you compress, meaning the whole thing can be withdrawn.

This is the same as the one I have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Compressor-Mercedes-Pressure-Plates/dp/B00F3QU3L2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HJ7G94T5S6ZT66Q6MHG6

Sadly mine has the type with the non replaceable ball joint, what else could it have?

However, I found a new lower wishbone including the bushes on a clearance sale in Germany for 42 quid including postage - an 80% saving on the suggested retail price of GBP 220.00.

Changing it will be the task of my garage of trust, which I'm confident enough in having the appropriate equipment.

The next thing to tackle is a vibration from the drivetrain under what little acceleration there is. I suspect the front vibration absorber, unless someone tells me it's something else.

Sadly mine has the type with the non replaceable ball joint, what else could it have?

However, I found a new lower wishbone including the bushes on a clearance sale in Germany for 42 quid including postage - an 80% saving on the suggested retail price of GBP 220.00.

Changing it will be the task of my garage of trust, which I'm confident enough in having the appropriate equipment.

The next thing to tackle is a vibration from the drivetrain under what little acceleration there is. I suspect the front vibration absorber, unless someone tells me it's something else.

Have a poke at the prop joint rubber things.

No, it's a Mercedes specific compressor.  I know because I did the springs on mine recently.

Granted it's a cheap Chinese made tool, but it does what it's meant to and allowed be to safely remove the spring without death happening.

It's one that goes up inside the spring, and compresses two platform clamps and the rod itself closes up as you compress, meaning the whole thing can be withdrawn.

This is the same as the one I have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Compressor-Mercedes-Pressure-Plates/dp/B00F3QU3L2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HJ7G94T5S6ZT66Q6MHG6

I did suggest something like that to the Citroen garage I use, but they weren’t happy with the quality- I can’t force them to do work so didn’t press the issue. Rick, who was over to do the fiat earlier, did say he’s done them before with the gear he has, but it’s always a bit touch and go.

Why do you think I'm shelling out all that gold to fix a car that's allegedly wonderful and never breaks?

Mercedes introduced Granite on the changeover from the superb W123 to the W124. Hermann Goering owned a steel works and was a particularly good customer of D-B AG. One can only assume there was a 40 year clause - the 124 arrived 40 years after the disagreement ended.