OMG GGG Fucking Fourbanger Führerwagen - Now Force Ale again!

Junkman

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's merely passing a test on a day, not a letter of manumission to drive for a year.

Going by what I've been told by people who do have actual experience with these cars but don't see the entire world through the three pointed Swastika, these are constant drains with something else breaking every whipstitch.

Mine is very much the cheapest car I’ve ever run. Odds and ends need doing occasionally but it’s 24yrs old. This year was an exceptional bill of £850 for the control wishbone and balljoint, £16 on roll bar bushes and £90 for an oil pressure sender and £10 on a new pair of twin tone horns. Last year, just a service and two tie rods plus tracking. 2016 just a service plus an ignitonal barrel (£95). 2015 just a service and some welding to the front inner wings. 2014 I think had the headgasket done at £750 and new pads and discs all round for £150.

The new Citroen c5 was a money pit in comparison and the cx cost an absolute fortune, mainly in welding. Both of those kept depreciating too, whereas the merc is now insured for double what I paid and so covering all the bills I’ve spent.

Oddly in Waitrose this morning we had an impromptu Mercedes car show, with mine, another 124 coupe in gold and a blue 190 that I’ve seen a lot. The gold coupe was driven by an old guy who didn’t wave back and could barely see over the steering wheel. Honestly you’d think he’d smile at two coupes side by side at the lights but no. Perhaps his had just failed the mot too?

I loved how my mate's 230TE was comically falling to bits, it had BCA numberplates, and I think it had been an auction slag before he bought it, the doors were a slightly different shade of red, indicating they'd been swapped, and it had the chrome arch trims that were hiding rusty lips. It did not surprise me when it grenaded, it was fucking aful to drive, and I suspect the 120k was far from genuine, and was probably double that. I wanted to set fire to it after driving it. When a Ford Fiesta feels nicer to drive, that says a lot

Since a potentially suitable replacement appeared on the radar, it's now available for purchase again.

Changes since last time include a fresh MoT, a new track rod end and a borked rubber coupling on the driveshaft which makes it groaning on its woefully lethargic take offs. It gets a lot better when it's warm, but ideally that coupling should be replaced.

There was a tiny bit of welding needed to the front subframe, which is bolted to the main shell. The shell itself turns out to be absolutely rust free, so is the rest of the subframe.

The price idea now is £1,300 which includes an almost full tank if you are quick.

The longer you wait, the emptier the tank, the shorter the remaining MoT, the bigger the wear and tear and the pissed offer me.

Questions?

Right.

This fucking miserable piece of shit is now seriously being sold on eBay.

A downpayment has been made on a replacement I have target locked courtesy of Doubleyeller,

who made me aware of it all the way from fucking China, of all shitholes you don't want to end up in.

So please cross your fingers that it all comes together, I have no time for anything untoward due to my new job.

Which means you can still plunk down the required dosh for me to take it off that Bay.

I'm looking at you, Benz lickers with big mouths and nothing behind them.

• 2 weeks later...