OMG GGG Fucking Fourbanger Führerwagen - Now Force Ale again!

Junkman

A Peugeot 405 is a better car than a Mercedes Benz W124 230E. Now I’ve heard it all. But I don’t believe it.

That's why you can't trust furrieners*, they don't make sense!

(*excluding the Polish in this case)

A Peugeot 405 is a better car than a Mercedes Benz W124 230E. Now I’ve heard it all. But I don’t believe it.

I sort of understand the JM.  

My Mercedes 190 is beautiful.  It's in 99% health and EVERYTHING works.

My Toyota Avensis is knackared.  It's probably on 50% health and lots doesn't work.

But it is a much better tool for getting somewhere purposefully.  It's brisker, it's comfier and and if I'm travelling for anything other than fun - it's the Toyota key I reach for.

This confuses me as my W124 was one of the most comfy cars I've had.

So you did have more comfortable cars. Me too. Many. And one of them is the Peugeot.

The ride of the Benz is remarkably unrefined and the seats are too hard.

It requires very precise inputs, it's relatively torpid and there is the road noise level.

All this adds to your weariness the longer your journey is.

The Peugeot is better in all these aspects and that's what counts for me.

Journey for journey, I exit the Peugeot less worn out.

And the Peugeot is not the most comfy car I ever had. Not by a long reach.

So you did have more comfortable cars. Me too. Many. And one of them is the Peugeot.

The ride of the Benz is remarkably unrefined and the seats are too hard.

It requires very precise inputs, it's relatively torpid and there is the road noise level.

All this adds to your weariness the longer your journey is.

The Peugeot is better in all these aspects and that's what counts for me.

Journey for journey, I exit the Peugeot less worn out.

And the Peugeot is not the most comfy car I ever had. Not by a long reach.

Only slightly more comfy, the only real drawback it had was the 4-speed auto made it busy on motorways.

I've never been a fan of french seats, too soft with no support where I need it. But then I've not tried a pug so maybe they are better.

I am a big fan of the 230. However I will concede that the Peugeot has comfier seats, is quicker and more agile. 

Neither have a good sound system, which I would consider vital for a 180 mile commute. 

I'm not a fan of the sound system in my Peugeot, that's about all I'd change though as a daily smoker.

To be honest it needs speakers changing is all.

In face of this overwhelmingly redundant signage, unclear and inconsistent road markings, terminally shit signposting, all sorts of obstacles thrown into one's path, most road users being too dull to know what they are doing so I have to do their thinking on behalf of them, the last thing I need in a car is a loudspeaker emitting some stupid shit in addition to this default information and noise overload.

In face of this overwhelmingly redundant signage, unclear and inconsistent road markings, terminally shit signposting, all sorts of obstacles thrown into one's path, most road users being too dull to know what they are doing so I have to do their thinking on behalf of them, the last thing I need in a car is a loudspeaker emitting some stupid shit in addition to this default information and noise overload.

Spoken like Issigonis there. Radios are a distraction, you'd best fit more uncomfy seats to keep you alert too.

Spoken like Issigonis there. Radios are a distraction, you'd best fit more uncomfy seats to keep you alert too.

I won't fit the Mercedes seats into the Peugeot, no.

And I'll keep the radio off, since I do not wish a loudspeaker add unnecessary and easily avoidable noise pollution to my immediate surroundings.

It's all about how I disembark from my car after my day's work and commute. And for that, the Peugeot is better than the Mercedes.

End of.

This amuses me as my bike takes four and half fucking litres, in a fucking bike!

Because it takes 0 litres of coolant, I assume?

I'm not looking forward to doing the oil on my Jaaaag, 8 litres required. I'll have to stop halfway through to empty my Pela, and I'm not sure I have an empty oil bottle hanging around to receive the first batch...

Because it takes 0 litres of coolant, I assume?

I'm not looking forward to doing the oil on my Jaaaag, 8 litres required. I'll have to stop halfway through to empty my Pela, and I'm not sure I have an empty oil bottle hanging around to receive the first batch...

Correct answer.

8 litres? in what sorta Jag? mine's only 6.5ltr for a change & filter.

Correct answer.

8 litres? in what sorta Jag? mine's only 6.5ltr for a change & filter.

X300 with an AJ16. I daresay the AJV8 being a ~15 year newer design uses less oil, but of higher quality. I will almost certainly insist on putting fully synth in mine when I get round to it, but they don't need it.

The Pooshow is more agile, more comfy and quieter inside.

Consequently you just disembark it less worn out after a hard days work and drive.

From my point of view, that's better.

I clocked up almost 300 miles in horrendous weather conditions in a base model W124 last Sunday and I got out feeling fresh as a daisy. I suspect that your 230E would have been even more capable on that trip.

How much luxury and dynamics does one need? Evidently you have higher standards and expectations than me or maybe I am just too besotted with Germany’s finest.

Mine doesn't use any.

But an oil change requires six fucking litres and oil isn't available in six litre containers.

Does it piss you right off to know then that all of this oil capacity business is deliberate?

Some big shot from Mercedes met up with some big shot from the oil industry and they colluded together to deliberately make the sump capacity just over the standard 5 litre oil bottle so you have to buy two! Everyone wins!

Except you of course who get the honour and privilege of filling their pockets with your hard earned!