The mighty blue Marina passion wagon

trigger

Frankly, I can't wait until the Tippers raised digit plate filth is revealed. It's a special kind of person that sets the correct number plate style with what was used new at the time and you're just that kind of person, trigger.

Have you thought about selling the SD1 and buying an early coupe, so you could get some of those strange black and white plates BL used in early 70's publicity shots? If so, you might as well get an Ital saloon on Sercks too, to complete the collection.

Funnily I had a press Marina plate that a work mate found in his loft and sold to me that I sold on to a mate with a Marina at the time.

cac621d52797d8286bbeb9f26d03f7ed.jpg

I'm still watching on the V5 to came back from the DVLA for the car but once it's here the pates will be on order, I can't wait! If anything is sold them it will be the van but that's only because of lack of space, but we'll see...

Lovely.

Another old car that was utter shite when I was a kid. The kind you would disown your parents for if they bought it. Nowadays though I have much jealousy for it.

Not sure if has already been said but I can't be the only one seeing the link between your user name, the Marina's colour and Trigger 's going out suit.

Not a awful lot of photos unfortunately yet but progress is being made, the log book arrived yesterday, yay! I've already been back to the post office and got it changed to historic and mot extempt.

Also got the wheels finished and new tyres fitted today.

00c0ff81bd59c7258a4ac964fb42d0bf.jpg

b3dd306a66545194e2ef0de3027f6808.jpg

The van came in handy taking them down to the garage, ended up getting some Royal Passenger tyres, the same as on the van for £124 which was cheaper than everywhere else, they will look smart once fitted i think. I've also now changed the steering column over so it now has a working ignition and steering lock, that now means the interior is done.

ccfc0dfbf15cba88e9f5001eef019e44.jpg

Saturday I'll get the brakes all finished and slave cylinders fixed, oh and I've also got a nice set of new 70s raised digit style plates on order from Tippers too!

Look what I got today!

69431b6726519023b9324ecc8b05d3e9.jpg

Yep my Tippers plates! Amazingly it turned out they arrived yesterday but my neighbour had them, that means they arrived less than 24 hours after ordering them, fantastic service.

Also this happened today.

44d3bfd4bc565dd70f3243b4233b1fbe.jpg

a36bca66c00721a3c72d5a35b56f9b70.jpg

The first time it's been taxed in 37 years! This now means that once it's insured it will legally be able to be used on the road again, I still can't believe that's right!

Spend the day finishing the brakes in it today, as well as the fuel pipes, it now starts and runs great.

31374399a3d3f402d9f06c4a9e40ca03.jpg

b90b973372f30ef62668523962a2c78c.jpg

All that's left to do is finishing cleaning it, waxoyl the underside, fully service it and fit the plates and it's ready for the road, yay!

I think the scrapyard who ended up with it binned them and the vin plate annoyingly.

Its all very odd if I'm honest, I had no V5 and the vin was missing so I got the details from a friend who works for a car dealers via the HPi system, filled the form in and wrote the chassis number down he gave me and posted it along with £25, 3 weeks later I get the new log book through so I took that to the post office and got it transferred over to historic from PLG and filled in a MOT declaration form and two days later it's down as being taxed!

Small steps but I'm nearly there now! So this morning I got the insurance sorted, £78 for the year Inc breakdown wasn't to be sniffed at, after that I spent the morning polishing the offside, roof and all the tailgate which to be honest in this heat was murder!

Still it was looking good, also fitted the rear plate and then serviced it, changed the coolent, oil, fanbelt etc and took it for its first drive on the road since 1981, it drives amazingly well, everything is tight and quiet and smooth, well it should be with only 25017 miles on the clock!

All that's left is to polish the front end and nearside, waxoyl the underside and then give it a long road test and it should all be done!

a111d03ee5aa6551c0580b093bbd8626.jpg

67a00a07a260d9bc8e1b1b202ca02fe4.jpg

3bcd3d1546d6ea82b30c3e3939a36e29.jpg

Small steps but I'm nearly there now! So this morning I got the insurance sorted, £78 for the year Inc breakdown wasn't to be sniffed at, after that I spent the morning polishing the offside, roof and all the tailgate which to be honest in this heat was murder!

Still it was looking good, also fitted the rear plate and then serviced it, changed the coolent, oil, fanbelt etc and took it for its first drive on the road since 1981, it drives amazingly well, everything is tight and quiet and smooth, well it should be with only 25017 miles on the clock!

All that's left is to polish the front end and nearside, waxoyl the underside and then give it a long road test and it should all be done!

a111d03ee5aa6551c0580b093bbd8626.jpg

67a00a07a260d9bc8e1b1b202ca02fe4.jpg

3bcd3d1546d6ea82b30c3e3939a36e29.jpg

Looking very good Trigger, and hats off for daring to polish it in the heat we have had today.

Will this be making its debut at Shotley this Wednesday?

If your bonnet adornment is based on anatomic reality, I think you need to call an NHS helpline

Still coming to terms that in the UK in 2018, it's now easier than ever before to knock about in an old car. Your entire outlay to legally bring it back from the dead and drive it on the roads has been £101 (V5+insurance). Crikey!

I know those plates aren't cheap but they're like good quality tyres - you'll thank yourself for spending that little bit more. Although, unlike good tyres, everyone else other middle aged men on the internet can enjoy them too. Top philanthropy, trig!

You're currently experiencing the hottest heat wave Britain has ever experienced apparently (according to internet comments - it's midwinter in NZ), so I reckon the waxoyl can wait a while. I suppose it'll be nice and fluid in the current climate though.

My vote for now is just drive it everywhere with the windows down and your best shades on and feel like an absolute winner. It won't win any traffic light races but won't need to, to look effortlessly stylish. Yes, I used the word 'stylish' to describe a Marina. After all, the condition makes it undeniably attractive and those hilarious Top Gear funsters stopped crushing them under pianos over a decade ago. I reckon that BL knocking will go the way of 1980's Skoda jokes and not be funny anymore, as there's a generation that don't remember them from the first time around. Applies to all 1970's/80's 'shit' cars, I suppose.

If you're not convinced, I reckon a really good show piece would be to get a modern day Ford/Vauxhall/whatever brochure and have the paint options page displayed next to a 1970's BL paint brochure for a compare and contrast (the 'contrast' bit relating to the various shades of grey you can buy a modern in, of course).