Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Long* running landy 88" project - gearbox woes

Project

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jakebullet

jakebullet

TVR wedge

• Full Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationAbandoned in deep space

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:05 PM

What miserable job shall I do today?

20180809_173435.jpg

Possibly* the rubbery things are a bit past their best.

Of course the impossible to get to jubilee clip on the bottom hose didn't want to play. Clip meet Mr. saw... Just enough room to sneak it under the battery tray.

20180809_183849.jpg

Black sludge + knackered bits

20180809_184623.jpg

So I put the new bottom hose on without major pain. Then tried the bypass hose, and it's a complete bastard? It doesn't want to go on the water pump outlet at all, just keeps folding in the middle. Finally managed to get it down to where appears right, but it then looks too long and the part that connects to the thermostat housing is 1/4 inch too high up to bolt back on. The old pipe looks quite "bulgy" at the ends as if it's been forced further than it should be to get it on.

Any suggestions? Chop 1/4 inch off the top? Keep on forcing and hope I can get it down a bit more? Kill it with fire?

I flushed the radiator as best I could with a watering can. (not hose accessible location). I'm thinking it may be a plan if I ever get the hoses replaced to fill up with just water and run it up to temperature and then drain? May get a bit more crud out?

I is spaz. Ask me how.

Click here for ignore list.

#62 OFFLINE   The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer

• Full Members
  • 129 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBelfast-ish - Kent Sometimes

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

For what it's worth this is the exact job that I've been doing over the last few weeks (the remit has expanded a bit to getting engine tin wear powder blasted and the like.) I have gone rather over-the-top and given the wallet a good beating to the tune of several hundred quid. I've had the radiator re-cored, rebuilt the Smiths' heater box (including new core, powder coating and nice decal), all new hoses and other bits powder coated too. I've also been using genuine marine grade stainless steel 316 Jubilee clips. Not cheap, but hopefully avoids the ball ache that are rusty Jubilee clips ever again. 

As for the hose I think you're having problems with, I took the combined thermostat housing/heater valve off to replace it which means you can remove it from the water pump with very little effort. In fact I couldn't see any other way of doing it. I'll try and get photos - currently it's pitch black outside. I certainly didn't have any problems with length or fitting it once I'd taken off the thermostat housing/heater valve. One thing I do rely on is the official parts manual, which helps out no end in terms of getting the right part number (with the except of the rocker cover which I'm sure they've got the two types for the petrol 2.25 the wrong way round engine number-wise.)

1970 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Manual
1982 Land Rover S3 109
2001 Mercedes CLK 230 Cabrio

#63 OFFLINE   jakebullet

jakebullet

TVR wedge

• Full Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

I took the heater valve / top bit of pipe off, 2 bolts on the side of thermostat housing. New hose down on the water pump outlet as far as I can get it, then put the valve bit into the bypass pipe. It's then too high to reconnect to the thermostat housing. I'll have to get a pic tomorrow.

Maybe there's more than one bypass hose? Or it's got a britpart water pump that doesn't fit very well. (guessing). Hose is 574871 which appears to be for all 2 1/4s according to paddocks.

I is spaz. Ask me how.

#64 OFFLINE   Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Momentary Lapse Of Reason

• Full Members
  • 243 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLlaniog Parkway

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

On other forums people have been reporting problems with bypass hoses being a little too small an internal diameter, almost as if there is a batch made of a metric size just under the correct imperial size.
Try having a measure of the old, new and the stubbs?

#65 OFFLINE   The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer

• Full Members
  • 129 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

This is the set of hoses I bought about a month ago:

https://www.ebay.co....KoAAOSwMmBVt~cD

No problems with the by-pass hose (it's the only one I've currently fitted). I'll try and get photos tonight.

Mine is a late 2.25 petrol - the five bearing version - not that I think that makes a jot of difference. The part number - 574871 - does appear to cover all (although I'll double-check the official parts manual tonight). Here's the hose on its own from the same eBay seller:

http://https://www.e...~IAAOSwyQtVzLlU

I'm sure you know that Land Rovers (like VW Beetles) seem to suffer from a shed load of cheap (and useless) repo parts. When buying bits for the LR half my time is trying to ensure I get the best quality possible.

• richardthestag likes this
1982 Land Rover S3 109

#66 OFFLINE   jakebullet

jakebullet

TVR wedge

• Full Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

It looks like this currently:

20180810_101854.jpg

20180810_102159.jpg

Maybe I'm supposed to get it further onto the water pump, but I couldn't force it any further last night. I'll leave it on over the weekend and try again. maybe it will expand a bit being left stretched? Yeah, wishful thinking.

I is spaz. Ask me how.

#67 OFFLINE   The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer

• Full Members
  • 129 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

My impressions from the pictures are as you've stated. It looks rather tight, the bit of hose on the water pump looks a little too short and the bit on the by-pass end too long. Mine certainly wasn't any kind of problem to fit and I can be a bit of an old woman when it comes to getting such things right. As soon as I get home I will have a nose and report back.

1982 Land Rover S3 109

#68 OFFLINE   The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer

• Full Members
  • 129 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:04 PM

I've had a look and mine is no way as near a tight as that. The part number is correct according to the manual and it seems universal for all 2.25 petrol engines.

I've got photos, but cannot for the life of me see how to add them to this site. Do they need to be hosted by a third party? I've clicked on the 'My Media' icon in the editor, but cannot see how I can add photos to it. Any tips?

1982 Land Rover S3 109

#69 OFFLINE   The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer

• Full Members
  • 129 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

IMG_6619_800W.JPG

IMG_6621_800W.JPG

IMG_6622_800W.JPG

IMG_6623_800W.JPG

1982 Land Rover S3 109

#70 OFFLINE   jakebullet

jakebullet

TVR wedge

• Full Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

Yours definitely fits better. Bloody britpart strikes again.

I is spaz. Ask me how.

#71 OFFLINE   Geep

Geep

• Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSouth

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

I had another thought on the gearbox problem tonight. Broke out the starting handle and wound it to TDC. Marked the output shaft of the main gearbox and turned the engine one full turn. The output shaft moved a quarter turn-ish, so it's in second gear? (2.22:1 says HBOL)

Not sure if that helps any actually.

Get a large screwdriver and move the selector until it disengages. They only slide back and forth so you should be able to force it in and out of gear with a screwdriver and thumping with the palm of your hand. If not, put the first/second selector on and manipulate that to disengage then check it engages both gears and disengages. 

Might take a bit of fiddling about to get a place/leverage where it can be moved back and forth and might need some slight rotation to move but it should move with a distinctive clunk it and out of gear. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users