1998 Clio Dizzler - 13 months MoT - £500

RobT

My trusty Shitefest transport has done its job, so time to move it on and make way for more French bilge.

Mileage: 90,314

MoT: 25/07/2019 (passed an hour ago!)

Price: £500

Recent new rear wheel bearings, glow plugs, oil and filter (last week). Advisories were front brake discs worn and front tyres worn unevenly. I drove it 1,400 miles in three days and didn't want to set fire to it, which is always a good sign. Cruises well on the motorway and achieves low 50s I think, but I haven't done specific calculations. Clutch is a tad on the heavy side but works fine with no judder or anything. Best bit though - SERCK PLATES.

Pics not the best in strong sunshine, but hot of the press today after the MoT win. Front NS has a scrape plus a few other little dings, but nowt major. Quite clean underneath too.

post-5013-0-63042700-1530122572_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-16314000-1530122671_thumb.jpg

Very grey interior, but also hard wearing and the general feel is much more solid than phase 1 Clios.

post-5013-0-84689600-1530122893_thumb.jpg

I should charge more for such heritage...

post-5013-0-93463600-1530122853_thumb.jpg

I probably paid too much for it with a short test, hence the lack of bargain status, but with a new ticket hopefully it'll seem decent value to someone.

I have a soft spot for this particular incarnation of Clio which i call the happy face Clio. It’s got that Galic charm. Absolute bargain for someone needing cheap transport. I bet it drives 1000 times better than the Clio 3 we had for a short time but was so hideous we sold it on for a huge profit.

GLWTS Rob. What do you have in mind as a replacement?

Thanks.  Collecting something tomorrow evening, more French tat!

Any paperwork or word-of-mouth to suggest when cambelt-stuff was last achieved?

Sadly not, and a quick google suggests it's a pig of a job due to lack of access.  Throw the dice on this one....

You’d be an idiot to bid before the closing seconds...

You are BANG WRONG [/partridge]

Get the price up quickly - get it out of people's searches.

To be honest, I think you're right - but I always chuck my money down early and walk away.  If it comes off, perfect.

As for this being too much money? I'd say it's still about £300 cheap - so no beating yourself up, Rob.  GLWS

(Thread drift) 21s? If a tidy Savannah came up, preferably in white with child seats in the boot, I'd have it. The recent eBay ones didn't look great though.

Phase 2 Clio? Many nostalgia. I drove a totally ruined one as a work pool car in France in about 2002. Does this one vibrate badly enough to make your watch crawl up your arm at anything over 50km/h and accelerate slowly enough to make lorry drivers hoot at you?

Phase 2 Clio? Many nostalgia. I drove a totally ruined one as a work pool car in France in about 2002. Does this one vibrate badly enough to make your watch crawl up your arm at anything over 50km/h and accelerate slowly enough to make lorry drivers hoot at you?

This one is good thankfully, and 70 for long periods on the motorway doesn't drive you insane. It does thrum a bit on tickover, and one thing I forgot to mention is a slight hesitation sometimes under acceleration but a new air filter improved things a bit.

Zero interest in my gumtree ad so I can see this one hanging around for a while!

Yes it does feel front heavy, but steering doesn't suffer because of it.  I had a close one pushing it on some twisties when up in Aberdeenshire, but a damp road combined with budget tyres (Arrowspeeds I think) didn't help.