horrid yamaha

tobyd

Guest Hooli

Touring reservoir behind numberplate. Only have to look it/fill every service at c. 4k

That.

Mind you the basic ones always did about 1,000-1,200miles for me so no great chore to top up as needed.

To be fair thats still pretty cheap for a running MOT'd bike. And once rebuilt you should at least have the satisfaction of knowing that its mechanically in good shape. Far better than paying £6 or 700 for an unknown quantity only for it to shit its gearbox within 100 miles.

Have to say I also agree with this, you'll know the bike is right when finished. There's always man maths that can justify or vilify anything but as I always hear that I can get a mint "xyz for £500" very rarely do they turn out mint, or even half decent.

I've just bought a cheap Vito to do a bit if a dayvan style conversion. I didn't particular want a Vito but the price was good and after a test drive I was impressed, I actually drove it home last weekend due to some MOT issues with another car and it drives fine, wooly, but fine. I could have put £2k into one and it been exactly the same. If you build it yourself with your obviously good knowledge I think you'll end up with a corker.

I've had a few Divvy 60's in the past, from dog rough to simply rough, but all went well enough, ideal, comfy commuters, and much nicer than a Bandit (in my opinion anyway) I did once buy a really nice one 

cheap from a mate of a mate, and he told I'd have to van it home as it cut out frequently, and his mate couldn't get it sorted. I rode it home, red lining it all the way. Never cut out once from the moment I got it. Sold for a tidy profit for once.

Will give the harpic a go in a bit. not looking for sparkingly shiney just not so crusty shiney.

filled out and postal ordered up a v62 so will get that off tomorrow and see if what the ministry doeth say.

predictably a guy a work wants shot of his '94 diversion, new back tyre, most things together just won't go into gear and screwy brakes. some local is coming to take a look at it but might be a source of decent bits if he breaks it instead. I really don't have anywhere for it to go. Then again, if the DVLA say no then I might just buy it anyway and swap the engine over and scrap this one. we will see in 4-6 working weeks.

Raft of bits arrived over the week so got cracking. New head gasket, a carb that is mostly ok just needed a light clean and some new screws (and 4 rebuild kits but we'll see about that closer to the time), sump and clutch cover gaskets, valve seals, fuel hose and vac line and new plugs.

post-18007-0-86103900-1530977920_thumb.jpg

cleaned up carb

post-18007-0-97241900-1530977972_thumb.jpg

post-18007-0-68296700-1530977990_thumb.jpg

Lapped in the valves and cleaned and reassembled the head, new stem seals.

post-18007-0-01504500-1530978033_thumb.jpg

cleaned up the piston crowns a bit and removed a little of the crust on the edges of the cylinders but not that much.

post-18007-0-00351000-1530978085_thumb.jpg

new gasket (this is backwards though...)

post-18007-0-74734100-1530978129_thumb.jpg

popped head back on

post-18007-0-32976300-1530978178_thumb.jpg

whilst disassembling I think I dropped a washer down the tensioner hole so thought i'd fish it out of the sump. took forever to knock the sump free.

post-18007-0-11127400-1530978285_thumb.jpg

ah shit...

post-18007-0-04980500-1530978314_thumb.jpg

post-18007-0-62459800-1530978344_thumb.jpg

Shrapnel. but from what? looks a bit thick to be piston skirt and what else did it take with it before it came to rest?

I've not tightened the head down yet so contemplating pulling the barrel to see if anythings come adrift from a piston.

75p stainless steel cleaner from wilko bought the exhaust up pretty nicely in unrelated and uninteresting other news.

Options and outlook are now a little limited for this venture.

Might still be able to get a '94 model from a guy at work, in matching red with disclosed clutch troubles and keep the best bits off here and ebay the carcass.

Impressive  :-D  Only thing better than that, is a hole spewing oil and rod sticking through the block ..

My Dad always said to me  , when he saw me making smoke :shock:   , doing wheel spins   :oops:

Son...imagine,  hitting the top of the pistons with a sledge hammer 5000 times a minute ... That is what the engine has to put up with ,,,   :mrgreen:

There isn't a lot of scoring or broken in the rest of the cylinder so i'm not entirely sure whats caused it to go wonky. There is some broken superfluous engine casing above the front sprocket that makes me think a chain snapped at some point. maybe something to do with that although i'd have though the clutch would take the brunt of that.

Last rites for this engine anyway, I bet the crank absolutely loved bending that con rod.

Still, If i can get hold of the other one for cheap I can have two broken ones and won't that be a better place to be in?

Gutted, had that feeling with my Zafira, convinced myself it was a cool pack but turned out to be a melted piston crown but because the rings were still ok it didn't smoke much but little to no compression.

New engine job but since then, it's been an amazing car.

Taught me how important a compression tester is for testing anything causing silly faults.

Bit of JB weld, stick the bits back together, it'll be fine? Sort of?

EDIT - or take #3 piston out for better* economy?

You could leave out the con rods for cylinder 2 and 3 and wedge the pistons near the top of the bores, or leave out the followers so the valves don’t open on those cylinders. I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t run but it would be so shit it would be funny.

I speculate it'll make back its cost plus the non-reusable spares i've bought in ebay parts clearance. so other than time its probably not immobile bankruptcy.

I'll make enquires on Monday with workmate about '94 model. I suspect there is enough bike in the two of them make something that can rival that wheelspinning guys efforts. even if he has dual disk front brakes and oddly short arms.

If that doesn't work out a 2nd hand engine! To invested to quit just yet!

I saw a 250 scrambler on my way to the hospital (avoidance of related visitors tenuous relation visitation parking fees duty) and thought i should stop and see if it would go in the boot. I might wander up there tomorrow. it was advertised in size 8 comic sans...