Family memories ...dumped..more holidays...NZ

fotorabia

My studio mate Rachel found boxes of these old slides at our local dump..so i thought id share the shite....ive got a negative scanner...late 1960s i reckon...not as much cars as planes ,ships and weddings..

the beautiful bride escapes her ugly parents..or vice versa..

Posted Image

Morrie overlooking lake Wakatipu towards Glen Orchy..

Posted Image

seaplane ...

Posted Image

off to Vietnam..back from Vietnam...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest Tony Hayers

There's such a difference between natural film photography and digital. Those looks so warm, I hate digital.

That is so so true. In another pastime of mine involves mucking about with cameras and no matter how many buttons and settings my Fuji DSLR has it cant give pictures with a natural warm look as my old 35 mm Canon EOS. The only advantage of the Fuji is to quickly chuck pictures up on a forum.Love the bagpipes on the back of the boat"FFS keep it on an even keel, your disturbing my natural balance!"

How sad that these were all discarded.

Agreed, perhaps they all got scanned and saved to CD first before being binned due to lack of shelf space.

yeah..i also love slide film...but expense for many such as i and all..means that we become digital whores..im retaining my Canon F1N collection..more for B&W film which is still cheap..and i doubt very much these would have been scanned prior...im probably the only person in town with a neg scanner.and the time and cost to restore these slides puts it beyond economic viability hence..binned...

Posted Image

quote]

The big clue to it being New Zealand and not Scotland is that it's not pissing with rain so it can't be Scotland

Us sweaties settled on south island in large numbers and many place names ie Glen Orchy and Dunedin (old name for Edinburgh///"dun"= fort "Edin" = edwin - "Edwin's fort" - Edwin was a dark age King of Northumbria who built his capital on the castle rock long before there were countries called scotland and England).

Fotorabia....do you think that is a New Zealand built Moggy? I know they built some out there but I think they also imported some. really nice old photos - shame they got binned , the story of a family

Posted Image

quote]

The big clue to it being New Zealand and not Scotland is that it's not pissing with rain so it can't be Scotland

Fotorabia....do you think that is a New Zealand built Moggy? I know they built some out there but I think they also imported some. really nice old photos - shame they got binned , the story of a family

Yeah they did assemble them here..in Nelson..up until 1974..which is 3 yrs longer than the UK..their still plentiful and relatively cheap here..as they should be..in my anorak moment i did a search on the one in the photo..but its not listed so obviously long gone....theres a cache of them for sale in Nelson just now which ive seen..about 40 of them...but at $25000..he gonna be lucky...

Posted Image

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 945458.htm

and Dunedin actually is based on the Edinburgh street plan..although they forgot to consider the hills in Dunedin...

Anorak moment...........the flying boat is a Grumman J4F Widgedon

G-44A Widgeon! They were used to ferry passengers between Invercargill on NZ's South Island and Stewart Island.
Ahh now I've always known them as J4F ( forgive the spelling errors.as usual ) as they were for Us military service to begin with and then got used by other services before being retired to civil use.....http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/air/us/grumm/j4f.htmdo I take it your a fellow aircraft anorak ?

• 3 weeks later...

Theres actually 100s of these old negs to get thru..latest are the Japanese Ladies Mountain Climbing expedition..whats the car..its awesum.....and more planes...circa 1962

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

quicker way of getting to the top of Mt Cook..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

its dark now and my eyesight is strained...but ive got Stirling Moss and Lotus at Teretonga racetrack along with Danny Hulme..Bruce Mclaren ..your gonna have to wait for that FOTORABIA exclusive...

That station wagon / estate initially flummoxed me, as it appeared LHD - until I noticed the NZ flag the wrong way round!

Up until then, I thought something Japanese would be most obvious, possibly Toyota. So I hunted out this book:

Posted Image

And this is what I found:

Posted Image

Judging by the front lights, quarterlights and the area between the bonnet and windscreen, I reckon it must be a version of this. And to think that these slides would no longer exist if you hadn't been around - top saving skills!

Great pictures. I didn't know NZ sent soldiers to Vietnam?

yep we shure did..along with Australia..but we got out soon enough..so casualties were in the 100s..and another little known fact was guess where they mixed up that good old Agent Orange..here..in New Plymouth..and when the stuff was taboo...they simply sold it onto the farmers here who sprayed an equal amount on the gorse as they did back in Nam..creepy...cancer clusters NZ anybody....

That station wagon / estate initially flummoxed me, as it appeared LHD - until I noticed the NZ flag the wrong way round!

Up until then, I thought something Japanese would be most obvious, possibly Toyota. So I hunted out this book:

Posted Image

And this is what I found:

Posted Image

that book is the biz....!