Nissan Almera N16: the best* faults are intermittent faults...

davocano

I won't be fixing this myself due to having ten thumbs, a tendency to pingfuckit all the time and scar tissue due to a screwdriver-through-hand incident. Before I hand it over to my trusted garage on Monday, I'm wondering if the AS experts can identify this fault.

Drove it this morning, no problem whatsoever. Returned to it an hour later, turned the key and starter motor does not turn. No clicking, just a deafening nothing. All dash lights clear and present; lights, indicators, wipers, blowers all working. I assume its the starter motor. Check fuses, all OK. Can't see the starter motor as it's under the inlet manifold (?) and I haven't jacked the car yet.

Return three hours later to try again, this time the starter motor does turn but engine does not fire. Repeat x 3, on fourth and fifth attempts, starter does not turn. On sixth attempt starter DOES turn, still no fire.

There has been a fairly minor niggle for the last few months which may or may not be related, namely that the idle is quite erratic (like it's trying to stall but rarely does) when the engine is almost up to temperature. Fine when cold, fine when fully warm.

No prizes for the winning diagnosis but my very best wishes will be sent in your general direction.

Wouldn't think the faults are related; no start is caused by bad battery / bad connection to starter or earth. Check / replace battery and check all leads from battery to starter and all earth leads.

No eml but hesitation and bad idle says dirty throttle body; vids on YouTube to show cleaning

Thanks for all the comments guys, it seems to be an intermittent fault with the immobiliser.

Started first time on Sunday after standing for two days and has started repeatedly since with no FTP. Drove home once with the NATS warning light on but this has now gorn out. In related news, the car is intermittently reluctant to unlock via the keyfob.

The mechanic plugged in the diags tool and found "CHAIN OF IMMU KEY" as a fault, they will reprogram the keys.