Can't reverse for shit - fixerated!

jakebullet

When I first got my disco I quickly realised I can't reverse it for shit. So I quickly banged in a reverse camera kit. Having no sunroofs gave a handy spot for a screen:

post-4472-0-03207100-1529600798_thumb.jpg

It's been a help, and reverse slowly has avoided squashing too many things. Until last month when I was at motorway services and failed to spot a little shed also reversing until last moment. Didn't hit it but it shook my confidence. So a quick visit to ebay for more giffer assistance devices.

Does it work before I start drilling holes?

post-4472-0-27102800-1529601157_thumb.jpg

post-4472-0-60726600-1529601229_thumb.jpg

Sure does and doesn't detect spare wheel.

Ignored comedy hole saw and bought one from screwfix

post-4472-0-12150500-1529601335_thumb.jpg

post-4472-0-71484700-1529601385_thumb.jpg

Cable tie wires to existing trailer wiring loom. Connect up the juice and sticky pad "Ai car fun" in place

post-4472-0-76585600-1529601581_thumb.jpg

Success! Doesn't look out of place. Makes a suitable "fuck you've hit it" screeching when 10 inches from actually doing so. Confidence restored. 

post-4472-0-65072700-1529601843_thumb.jpg

I installed a camera on my lump of plastic and metal too. The garage I employ for the difficult work suggested one. Cameras can puck up a ditch where as sensors cannot. And thin poles.

Sensors are hard to fit in a really straight line.

Just be area that the camera does not pick up the extreme corners of the car. I still have to use me door mirrors.

My camera is part of the rear number plate surround.

Even if I had r/sensors as standard I will still want to add a camera.

I think bigger door mirrors would be handy on Disco's.  I very nearly reversed ours into a stone wall in broad daylight and did reverse it hard into the upright bit of a carpark height barrier in the dark (and in front of a whole scout troop :oops:).  The advantage of the Disco was the complete lack of damage where a hatchback would have crumpled.

The 405 has parking sensors but the bleeper doesn't always work which is obviously really helpful.

my galaxy has rears that beep and fronts that do fudgeall

Switch the sensors on, put your ear to each one, they emit a slight ticking noise.

Check the rear ones so you know what to listen for.

Replace any silent ones for about £20 each off eBay.

Simples.

Worked for me, plus I got £200 knocked off the car when I bought it cos they didn't work. Shame it took me 4 years to get around to it.