'72 Volvo 164

Uncle Jimmy

I was using the 164 a fair bit a few years ago, the big trunk is useful, big enough to get a B&D workmate and a few power tools into on a few occasions when I was vanless.

There's one even closer to me that has sat on a drive for many years.  About 20 feet away in fact. :oops:

Thread needed there I reckon.

I had a 164 about 25 years ago, that maroon colour they were all in (unless silver blue :)   ) and I loved it, was a fabulous car. But even longer ago, I had a friend of a friend who was a retired butcher (and whose significant other was a vet!) and he was a serial Volvo botherer. He had a mint 164 that he rarely used and a 145dl that he used constantly.

Can you see where this is going yet?

Yes, I built him a 165!

neither of the two cars he had were used (he needed the 145 to be mobile and refused point blank to destroy the 164 as it was too good - it was actually) so two new oones were sorced. Original plan was to shove the front of the 164 on the 145 complete with engine etc and then the interior. However, there were so many differences in the floor pan (amazingly) that it was easier to use the 164 and cut the back off the estate and make it fit, complete with boot floor on top of the original chassis legs. It all turned out really well - the hardest bit was getting the rear seat modified so it would fold down. It was a great car and he had it for years and years.... ntil I lost touch actually as he was still trundling around in it.

That was a really fun project, took a while (about 2 months) and cost a lot more than he was charged but I enjoyed it.

Twas a mistake on Volvos part not making a 165, or indeed a 184 or 185, a B40 would have been justifiable for the US market I think. A few 165s were made at an Australian dealership I believe, a lot of work! If you look at a 145 or 245 for that matter, you will see that the rear doors continue down as they would on a saloon, so Volvo didn't have to retool for different rear doors.

Most of the surviving 164s in the UK are either that maroon or Alpine blue as mine is, there are only about 25 on the road in the UK but a lot about in the US, Australia and of course Scandinavia.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks cleaner than lots of sub 10 year old Mazda/Nissan shite I maintain for family and friends. Lovely :wub:

The red sump seems to be an Ovlov trait?  I've spent all day under my 940 looking at a fire engine red sump so it's nice to see that it's a familiar/ongoing theme.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Volvo sold on the bay of E in the end for not far off what I was hoping for to an avid Volvo tinkerer, who drove it away yesterday, wherupon it faultlessly motored up the M5 to its new home in Malvern. So yes there are some good folks out there and selling on ebay isn't always a nightmare! :)