'72 Volvo 164

Uncle Jimmy

Been considering sale of the Ovlov for some time, I've plans to buy something sillier* and haven't any more garage space, plus I have a mouldy Saab to restore. If the Ovlov stays it doesn't matter, it's a reliable old bus and I like it.

To summarise, it is a 1972 Volvo 164, 6 cylinder, twin carb, 3 speed automatic. Condition is very good with only very minor rust and a couple of small dents, the interior is black leather in good condition too, mechanically it is in excellent health apart from a slight exhaust manifold blow which disappears as she warms up and an atf leak which is worse when she is laid up for long periods cold. There's a fair amount of mechanical spares and a spare set of steels which have been refurbished to a high standard.

The car is basically as it was new with no modifications. Price? £2750, I may part exchange for another similarly aged car or other tat. If you're interested I'll buzz some moar piccies over and answer any questions about the beast.

If you wish to lower, stance, slam or otherwise molest my car I reserve the right to beat you to death with a large Volvo branded adjustable wrench, otherwise I may bore the fuck out of you talking about Scandinavian motor cars if you are lucky.

post-18107-0-32747800-1529597902_thumb.jpg

post-18107-0-87186600-1529597938_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mr Moog; yes, they really are rather good vehicles both aesthetically and functionally, after all they were designed by bearded men in steel rimmed spectacles in modernist studios.

Having said that the 164 owes it's handsome looks more to Wolseley or Riley than Aalto (yes, he was a Finn I believe)

When I was a kid, twelvish, I went to spend the day at a friends house in a local village. Lad's father picked me up in one of these. Brought me back in his wife's car, an NSU Prinz with the jerkiest transmission in the world, ever.

That's a lovely looking thing - my favourite Volvo by a country mile.

I'm not sure I could bear to part with a car like that in return for £2,750 -  I'm surprised it's not worth a lot more than that. I hope you don't end up regretting selling it!

Appreciated man...It's not quite as good as it looks in the pics, there is a bit of rust around the boot lid, some of the aluminium trim on the flanks is a bit knocked about and there's 3 small dents, so it's a 'good' car, not a v.good or concours by any means.

I shall, of course regret selling it but life must move forward!

Lovely car, I accidentally bought one years ago (the bigger bumper version), unfortunately apart from driving it off the trailer and into the garage, then fiddling with it a bit I never did anything with it. As usual I ended up with too many cars so sold it on as an "unfinished project". I do remember that it did like its petrol, just running it up now and then, in and out of the garage seemed to consume several gallons in the time I owned it

I do remember that it did like its petrol, just running it up now and then, in and out of the garage seemed to consume several gallons in the time I owned it

Yeah, they are a thirsty bastard.  I was getting about 18mpg out of mine when it was on the road.  It needed super unleaded too (with additive obvs) or it'd pink like a twat under load.  Not a cheap vehicle to run, but worth it as they're such a nice drive.

I think 160bhp was for the 164E (fuel injected version).  The carb engine is slightly less.  Still not a slow car though.

The injected E was 175, carb 145.

An injected manual is faster than most sports cars of that era :)

Mine is quite sedate being slushbox propelled although she'll cruise happily at 80 all day and easily keep up with moderns.

Yeah, they are a thirsty bastard. I was getting about 18mpg out of mine when it was on the road. It needed super unleaded too (with additive obvs) or it'd pink like a twat under load. Not a cheap vehicle to run, but worth it as they're such a nice drive.

I use a fuel additive which cuts out the pinking; I've also removed the retard pipe from the distributor to the carbs which was part of the '70s emission system to get the Volvo through US emission tests.

After doing that, setting the dwell angle and timing correctly, valve clearances, new carb diaphragms, points and plugs she does about 22mpg on average and approaching 30 on the m.way.

Since I've owned her (8 years ish) I've replaced the rear shocks with Bilsteins, had a bit of welding and painting done to the front valance and spare wheel wells, removed one of the 3 back boxes, replaced the rear mudflaps and located and replaced missing trim on the boot lip.

Underneath is tidy- very tidy, I believe they had a galvanised floor pan. Being a Volvo they have a roll bar just behind the sun roof and side impact bars on a '72- the first appearance of them I'm aware of.

post-18107-0-33154000-1529657953_thumb.jpg