The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Reassembled the pedal box. Did this really carefully as the enamel paint hasn't fully hardened yet. Gave a quick touch up with spray can on any areas I scratched.

Before

218ab3bc4bc8846c39f790be916992d6.jpg

After

0cdcbe35d0aefab7789ab535dc74a9a8.jpg

5075eaeb131798cfb632f27fa5f1ff6c.jpg

Last of the fiddling and the next updates should be about actually sticking bits of metal back onto the chassis!

Balls. I meant to check that.

May have to do a Speedo mechanism transplant then.

Can you change the drive output on the gearbox? Normally one of the gearwheels can be changed depending on speedo or geartrain fitted to the car. Easier that dismantling a speedo head that may not fit in the new one.

No idea? I've never done it before! Electronic dashes are easy, you just plug in with an appropriate scan tool and tell it that it's a different model. These mechanical beasts are of course rather different.

If I do, what gear do I need to make this work? And where is a good source for them?

Unfortunattely ADO16s dealt with the difference in final drive between 1100 and 1300 by using different speedos.  The drive in the gearbox is always the same.  I believe it was the same with minis.  From Allegro onwards the difference was dealt with by the speedo drive in the gearbox, so you can swap speedos to your heart's content.

I've looked into this before and as far as I know there is no off-the-shelf speedo drive (from Allegros Metros etc) that will correct a 1100 from 1300 or vice-versa.  Although some may reduce the error.

If there is a list of the known types of speedo drive fitted to an allegro, I could possibly work out which one would be needed for this unit. Need to gain 208 turns per mile. Probably a drive gear with one less tooth would do it.

Places like Speedy Cables recalibrate them for £reasonable. Might be a better solution for you.

No idea? I've never done it before! Electronic dashes are easy, you just plug in with an appropriate scan tool and tell it that it's a different model. These mechanical beasts are of course rather different.

If I do, what gear do I need to make this work? And where is a good source for them?

I changed the speedo in the Minor to account for a change of differential and went from one that overread (normal) to one that was spot on - i.e. a bit pointless changing. Suggest to check it against a sat nav or phone app, it may not need altering.

Good point. There is a 10% difference between the two, so may be not so bad in use. So it'll read 10% too low high I think.

If re-calibrated at say 60mph, then at 30mph it would only be 5% out? Maybe even pushing it slightly higher at 60mph to move that across.

Or I'll just pull apart the speedo heads and swap the gubbins.

This document helps a lot. Found here: http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Files/SpeedoRepair.pdf

SpeedoRepair.pdf

Especially this diagram:

5028b58f400da959476fe4a2056da0ce.jpg

So I'm guessing that the worm gears and magnet wheel what defines the speed? Is the drag cup standard size?

If so, looks like I only need to change the backend of the Speedo to make it work.

Drag cup will be the same, just the gear that is driven by the worm will vary.

Think if the worm gear as a gear with one tooth, it's a 1:x ratio to the other gear.

If not that, why not keep the original (unless I missed something and it doesn't work) and change the fuel gauge for something else, volts or something, remove the FUEL carefully and redo the fuel gauge backing with Letraset or something?

Phil

Target:

0144e1a92be39a81fb5067712438ee0f.jpg

I moved it on to 59k and wound it on by spinning the tenths digit to 60k.

683d251377a49c43162c1e963977354e.jpg

e42db73d69fb88ccf4ba40402e64f2a8.jpg

Then flicked it to 62k and carried on winding the tenths digit.

4c62936382f7b97ea7e20967f53c7881.jpg

39aba612611ff372a7ea2aebf2197555.jpg

Blimey, not giving it a haircut, but adding a toupe. only this could happen on the beige forum LOL

On the Minor I was able to push each rotating tumbler in turn to the side and rotate it to show the digit required. I imagine the same would apply here.

Refined method is to shave a matchstick down a bit......then slip this between the digits. Roll the matchstick gently between thumb and finger and you can move the adjacent digit and get it nice and straight.

After the welding practice yesterday, it's given me a huge amount of confidence to get this welding work done. I think I'm pretty much ready to go with it now.

So last night I started scraping off the underseal.

e5aada89265ba75277f535ec0ad8f0d6.jpg

2ffc2f7f104b3e5d7d6e4db63b3fc218.jpg

b5583daced3af56f431e8324247111da.jpg

1c93b866918aa7543c5a74c94aaabca3.jpg

These bits were quite easy to do, it's the underside that is going to be the biggest pain. Especially as it's quite curved and contoured.

Pulled apart the other Speedo too. This to have a go at swapping the internal gubbins.

086d28d6488b0a5ab978e8b1156f2ed7.jpg

1b3b9941c09ad540889e98bfe10d15ea.jpg

Ended up having to swap that plastic arm bit back onto the other one. This is the part that pushes the odometer around.

4dc29abcf677b8ca7fba36d35eba326e.jpg

The other bit I swapped was the odometer cog.

Not too bad. Remove this thin plastic stay ring.

d883a5c55b1d212fb105eb814cb4855f.jpg

Remove the metal spring.

994f1f0410bf900176e238a3927352ea.jpg

And pull the cog off. Blue is the higher Ticks Per Mile cog. It's slightly bigger and has more teeth.

c8f9b223daaa36463b650bdf8c6155e8.jpg

Put it all back in the other one and gave it a test. MPH was a fair bit slower which is good, as that means it works. However the odometer stopped moving. Opening up made it obvious why - the teeth go in the opposite way. Looking back at the original Speedo, the odometer is at the top and thus needs to tick backwards compared to the other. Blast.

Kind of a dead end with this at the moment and run out of ideas. The MG Midget Speedo is the right Ticks Per Mile and has the odometer on the bottom. So I may be able to scavenge some parts from an old one of them. Or check the size as it possibly may fit?

Either way, they're not particularly cheap to buy second hand though. :?

Full marks for bloodymindedness with the cluster. I'm guessing there's not just a part you can simply turn around for the odometer to read properly?

Unfortunately there is another cog behind that coloured one. This holds the odometer numbers in place and locks the numbers in place when not moving (like a ratchet).

Putting it on the other side doesn't allow it to fit.

What diff is standard in these?

4.13:1 in the 1100, 3.65:1 in the 1300 (as Rev BJ alludes to).  I drove an 1100 fitted with a one litre A+ and 3.65 diff for a number of years; it was fine, so I'm sure an 1100 will be too.  Maybe just be prepared for a queue behind you if you take it up Dundry hill!