Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Welding

Project

• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   Dick Longbridge

Dick Longbridge

• Full Members
  • 3,746 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationFrench gateaux

Posted Today, 07:24 PM

I'm getting a bit fed up of the welding now. Actually the welding is ok, it's the grinding. My god do I hate grinding. Hate hate hate. I imagine my neighbours hate it too.

You can’t make an omelette without cracking some eggs. Buy the neighbours some chocklits at Christmas and offer them a free ride in a rare car when it’s finished. Should placate them. Maybe.
Great work, anyhow. You clearly aren’t afraid of cracking on with it!
67 Lambretta SX150
03 Toyota MR2
07 BMW E91

#782 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Today, 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. They definitely help the ol' motivation - especially on projects like this.

Got the top of the sill mostly welded in. Completely forgot that you're supposed to check the shut line! Bugger. Oh well, I'm too far in welding this now to go back. Hopefully should be alright as I'm going against the old sill top. Anyway it's 1970s British Leyland. If the shut line was too good, then it wouldn't look original. Right? (I'm sticking to that excuse ;) )

I was hoping to puddle weld and put a bead across. Unfortunately the metal underneath is too bent to puddle weld. The bead is quite messy. My excuse is that I was welding by torch light again!
d06d902860adde6813808885187aea17.jpg

My puddle welds.
c3247ed6fa1f7d4799274c290b0354ec.jpg

This bit looks even more messy as I had to chase some of the holes that blew through. Not sure if thin steel because old or because I was a bit too vigorous on the flap wheel again.
895c4b0bc39d0d5e9821800f0474e353.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to try grinding that back as it's especially noticeable area. Again, I'm not totally happy it's penetrated all the way through. I need to set the welder a bit higher power I think. Or I'm too quick with the torch.

Started drilling out the top plate. The bottom plate I can easily get to by cutting a hole in the pillar. The top isn't as easy.

Got all the way through with a 5mm bit. Wasn't quite enough to break it through. So went in with a 6mm bit (I broke my 5.5mm earlier).
a3245208f61cec9eb3e7ed46dc2337c0.jpg

Which broke as well. But this time it's well and truly stuck there.

Balls.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

purplebargeken, SiC