The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

No welding today unfortunately as I have run out of time. I've spent all my time cleaning up these bits, ready for welding.

c7daa4ed9a58fe17655b16435a3a3de9.jpg

d7c4eda56171d69739dbef9b8972fe21.jpg

I just couldn't resist cutting off the patch to find out what lurked behind.

First the patch for the wheel well.

5e51135e3c67fb781801179a2f8933e1.jpg

cffe9f71b33d64a8c8096850a5edf53b.jpg

Oh dear. Quite a lot of soil, rust and rubble fell out when I pulled the patch off. I gave a good poke through to allow it flow back through to the floor again.

What about the patch on the door edge?

fafb8839497c6d745d2ba45c05730595.jpg

Not as bad, but this metal is very thin. Not sure I will be able to easily put new metal here. I'll treat with krust and paint, then weld a patch back over and pretend I never saw it.

Wizzed over with the flap disc to clean up ready for new metal. If I get time tonight I'll splosh some krust all over inside too.

6636fee9fdb8cf9886f6c2e494bcb0d6.jpg

22f1a3c4c533a3c3b4dec86a442cfe64.jpg

Now I'm off to enjoy a drive in the Porkster with Mrs SiC with the nice weather we're having today! Hopefully I can get some welding done tomorrow evening.

This might be better as a separate thread but does anyone have experience of using Cleco fasteners? I'm thinking it will be a good tool to have - especially when doing parts like the arches.

Any recommendations on where and what to buy something decent? Don't want to spend loads but then don't want to buy some poor knock-off that I end up swearing at because its not holding the panels correctly.

I used clecos at Aerospace. They are easy and fast, work quite well on ally, but will struggle to hold steel close enough.

You may need screw pegs, which clamp well but are more fiddly to use and will melt if you weld close.

Worth trying a few cleco though.

I have actually had to buy a few myself strangely enough, I just bought on ebay, looked the same to me.

There are different sizes, 3/32 are too small, you prob need 1/8 or 5/32.

Well I don't need to be worrying about Cleco for a while in hindsight!

Cracking on with it again today. My intention was to finish the a pillar clean up and stick a few patches back on. Of course with welding that never is how the plan goes.

I scraped off the underseal in the wheel arch ready for welding the otherside. Underseal tends to burn extremely well and stinks. So removing it is kinda essential.

In doing so just revealed Swiss Cheese.

This bit wasn't as bad and I've already patched up two of the bits. The patch on the right is the hole in the a-pillar where the door hinge is.

3bcbbc6814a6bf2cfd7482a0b62ccc22.jpg

Poking up top started causing these bits to fall off. Sodding filler. :|

18bc457b279934fa2b7fce0e7e306745.jpg

As you might guess this led to a hole being produced.

2d0a2dbd6ce9c7ed264f6437a6515e5c.jpg

Cleaned up makes it clearer on how big this hole is. I can easily fit my fist in it!

The bit on the top is the trumpet section. Behind it the hole leads up to the top. This section is the bit behind the bulkhead that rain water drains off. Pretty sure the factory must never had painted this bit!

7719d668993038d28e41e6648e86edb4.jpg

I really don't know how I'm going to fix it. Ideally I'd remove the wing, cut off the trumpet, weld a patch in and then weld it all back together. This is a good couple day job at minimum. For now I will have to weld a patch on and possibly weld it to the trumpet. I'd like to do it properly but I will be here forever if I do that on everything.

I've pretty much accepted that this car will have to be a nice summer day only car. Otherwise it will only last a short period before it's utterly knackered. Especially if it was ever used with grit on the road.

Also got a new patch on the subframe mount section. I might plate an additional piece over the top to strengthen this area up even more.

cbf418499d5790b24fc4f17189b88bde.jpg

Welded and a quick buzz over with the grinder:

04c6815064972b3fa83bd3871a4cd7d7.jpg

Bit on the left you can see the Krust working it's magic. I need to get some paint on that area now but the weather outside is going to be rather cold tonight. So the paint won't dry properly.

I have next week off work and I really need to start getting on with that rear subframe mounts. I need to also figure how to get the rear subframe off. Manual says have a sling over the rear of the body to lift and then drop the subframe on a jack. Unfortunately I have no overhead lifting to easily do such a thing.

I'm thinking maybe getting a fence post along the width of the car, to go along the area just in front of the rear subframe and that's held up on axle stands. Then undo the subframe and drop it on my trolley jack.

Anyone got any better ideas?

The big holes are now filled. That top bit isn't my neatest welding but hopefully it will come up alright after whizzing over with the flap disc. I'm glad I cut that big bit out. Actually easier than putting small patches over a load of small holes which then get bigger.

0eb59ab0322c425e041f7129d65c3c7b.jpg

Probably didn't need welding this side but I did anyway. Still need to finish this side off with paint and then a final plate to fill the hole. Proper rust trap area and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to protect the inside. I think I'll either have to pour a tin of paint down the drainage or a can of warm underseal or something.

afae3aaacf3803283cd9b7faa4beef8f.jpg

Given the subframe mount a quick lick of paint.

410dbd8d39c1a703925fae0586af3aea.jpg

And the a-pillar. This hole could do with welding up but I'm not sure if there is thick enough metal around the hole to get a good weld on. I fear it'll end up chasing an ever bigger hole in an awkward place. Also getting in the sander in here to clean off the rust isn't going to be easy.

d6eebc6064dc50ed06abbdf0563531dc.jpg

Bought a nice substantial fence post ready for getting the subframe off. That's hopefully the job for during the coming week. Once that's done, it's a case of small patches on a few small remaining areas - mostly on the floor.

Amazing how much grinding dust accumulates. This is why I wear a mask.

70683d71ad702ec6f402b51e58871057.jpg

d9c948ba3a16ed34fedbe3eea73e1089.jpg

Speaking of grinding, I did a quick grind down on yesterdays work as the best I could. Awkward to get into this corner with a flap disc and electric grinder.

b3c10910b3ac25ba44575bc4f57483ce.jpg

Then a splosh of paint to protect.

0ce94b82ca320efe84e33cc8b1a517da.jpg

a133f13819ce4707c798c70548f49002.jpg

75aa620a8d97ca069fd03524160da6ff.jpg

Off to clean the Boxster now!

You are doing a fantastic job with this, I am truly impressed. Given I'm retired, so allegedly have far more spare time, I still have the BGT to weld, haven't had the B Roadster master cylinder in pieces yet to sort, or on ramps to check the underseal, and as for Mrs BMH's recently acquired TF.....

Not sure I'm even saying this. In fact I said I would never even say this until finished.

HOWEVER there is a car that I really quite fancy (no it's not for sale on here) but the good wife (who puts up with my car buying habits) has suggested that if I want it I need to get rid of something. Something like the car that has been on the driveway for quite a while now. I.e. the 1100.

Also the free room will let me get going again on the MGB and give that a proper go again, which I'm really keen to.

So would someone on here be prepared to take on the baton of the Purple Peril? Welding is nearly done now and I'll get that subframe mount area all done. Replacement rear arches will be supplied however the profile could be bodged instead with fibreglass if so desired. The profile shape isn't structural.

If someone did want to, they'd have to give a pinky promise that they'd not scrap it. At least not before giving it a good go to finish it. Otherwise I'll keep it, plod on and sulk that I didn't get a car that I really have wanted for ages.

How much do I want for it? Possibly not that important a question. The key thing here is the drive (both the room and energy) to want to get this finished.

I feel your pain.

Hope someone else is a daft as you.

Can't fault your commitment and expertise on this.

Don't feel obliged to carry on though if no one steps up.

Sometimes you have to cut and run.

You will never lose our respect regardless of the out come.

It's a really tough one. I could net £300 from £100 displacers, £100 engine as is complete, £60 from spare panels I recently bought and £40 from other bits generally (Speedo/Steering Column/Fuel Tank/etc). However I don't think I can do that on my watch.

Metalwork it's nearly done. But that leaves all the reassembly bits like brake+fuel pipes, interior in, engine in, wiring up, etc. All stuff that isn't hard for anyone to do and quite enjoyable. Just that is another good month or twos worth of work at least.

If it wasn't for this house move balls'ing up, I could have just left it in the corner of the garage to crack on with, as + when. While leaving the other side so I can actually enjoy a classic car this summer season.

As it stands now, until I get the 1100 done, I can't. Nor can I get something else. Something else that I've been after for a while - long before the 1100 came in to my life.

But after putting all this work in and getting so close to finishing, I don't think I could just abandon this without knowing it won't get finished. Especially abandon it knowing it'll be become baked bean tins.

I have been so impressed at your dedication and skills in saving this car that I like very much. It seems such a shame to give up now.

Aww don't say that! I don't like to think it as giving up, more moving the baton onto the next victim/person.

I perfectly understand the desire to have new toys but at the expense of the current ones is harsh, there must be a way to juggle the two.

It's not just the want for new toys. It is also the realisation that my existing toys (MGB) won't get a chance for a proper use this summer while the drive is permanently occupied. If the house move happened then storage wouldn't have been an issue.

However in the current place I can't relistically have any more cars. Even if I rented another storage unit, I'd still have no room to work on anything else while the 1100 is where it is. If the 1100 was usable as a car, then it would be easy to move stuff around. But it's not and there is a good few months of work before it will be.

I think you have to follow your heart, life is too short.

You have done sterling work on the 1100 and it is now very much a viable project for someone.

It has provided you with the skills and ability to weld almost anything now. The 1100 would be a cracking project for someone, I hope there is a person on here who is willing to take it on and finish the work you have started mate.

GLWTS

I can't see the 1100 being an easy sell in all honesty.

It's a low value car which has seen substantial welding to solid DIY standard but isn't massively pretty and the whole thing is stripped to jigsaw puzzle status.

Personally I'd be trying to get it to rolling resto status before getting rid.

the important thing id say is to make sure the body is sound before flogging it on

as AFAIK, its always rust that sends these cars to the scrap heap, long before any of the oily bits do

so id say at least get the body work sorted, then it will be a much easier sell, as then the rest would be relatively simple oily bits that most people looking at a vintage car could probably take on :)

I do hope it stays in the fold at least and we get to see it hit the road at some point :)

If moving the 1100 on is purely for creating space, you'll get less grief just scrapping it, tbqh.  Trying to sell it is going to be a nightmare, even if you only ask the bare minimum.  Can you really be arsed parting it out and dealing with that too?

Realistically, the MGB is the one that's more likely to generate you some cash quickly, and would then free up a space.  It would be a shame for you to part with that too, you seem quite enamoured of it.  A difficult situation really.  Do you perservere with the thankless purple car and hope the car you want comes along at a more convenient time, or do you throw in the towel on the purple one, chalk it up to experience, and hope this car you want is all you want it to be?

I would not like to be you making this decision, I really wouldn't.  It's a tough one.  I can tell you that I don't want the purple one back (I do a little tiny bit, but then I'd have to get rid of something and we're back to square one).  It's a shame we can't do a trusted shiter loan scheme where everyone gets to keep it for a bit and learn how to weld until it's all done.

I’m not sure we can comment without knowing what the replacement would be. And you seem a touch coy about that...

It's something 70s Triumph based.

If moving the 1100 on is purely for creating space, you'll get less grief just scrapping it, tbqh. Trying to sell it is going to be a nightmare, even if you only ask the bare minimum. Can you really be arsed parting it out and dealing with that too?

Tbf, it's mostly in enough bits to sell all seperately anyway. The shell just needs the grille and displacers taken off with the rest going. (Saying things like that does feel very hurtful and wrong. :? )

I can tell you that I don't want the purple one back (I do a little tiny bit, but then I'd have to get rid of something and we're back to square one).

Did you know that the Innocenti ADO16 had a knuckle joint on the steering column to remove the offset that is on the stock steering wheel?