The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Any gearbox in sump engine will be ruined with a flush agent, I don't think you can even use a more traditional flushing oil on these from what I remember my grandpa telling me about minis etc.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Unless you're planning to completely rebuilt the gearbox as well, leave well alone.

There is quite a lot of gunk in the bottom and I'm not entirely happy about it staying there.

You can see the black sludge in this picture.

f56213a80ea6cf55e42a744409294c0b.jpg

If that starts moving and getting sucked into the pickup, bad times will be had. I don't think I can manually scrape it out due to access.

Unless maybe if I duct tape a hose onto my much abused vacuum cleaner...!

NOOOOOOO do not wash the box out unless you plan to strip clean and rebuild, you will wash the shit into the bearings and leave them dry with grit in ready to go rusty in storage and grind nicely when you plan to next use it. Just wipe the sludge out the bottom and leave be. Honestly engine flush in an 1100 engine is just asking for trouble it washes the bearings out and never ends well.

Eh?

if you have a spare hour or two;

Remove that horseshoe (four bolts) around the FD pinion. That reveals the locking plate for the layshaft and reverse gear shaft. Remove the oil pick up pipe - it's a push fit into the strainer. Then use a punch to get the layshaft out, catching the thrust washers. Lift the laygear out followed by the strainer. Use petrol and a brush to loosen it up and wipe it all out. 

Or just stand the box on it's front and power wash it all out after it's been soaking for an hour. It's just oil sludge. Get the engine back on the box (don't forget the O ring, and use grease to hold it in place), end cover on and add 5 litres of oil. Sorted. 

I'm a bit wary of pulling it apart too much as there is a hell a lot of things in it and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep all the bits where they're supposed to go.

I mean just look at it! It's just one mess of cogs in a box.

d02648aedc954449cfc5336e6acc864d.jpg

Remember I'm doing this on the garage floor too. Not the best working space for room and cleanliness.

Continued cleaning off the gaskets tonight. Didn't get around to trying to clean the gearbox sump in anyway.

Did remove the fuel pump though. Noticed that fluid came out of the plunger end when manually pumped. I guess that's something else that needs rebuilding then...

Next question. Where can you get rebuild kits for original SU mechanical fuel pumps? I don't see anything listed on their website.

I'll be rather upset if it can't be rebuilt. :?

http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spares.html

these guys do diaphagms and stuff.

1100 is listed as having an electric pump though so i r confuse

Maybe I missed it but did you check any of the main bearings ? If it has oil pressure problems it will be in the mains rather than the big end bearings. Just check the one furthest from the pump, if thats ok then the rest should be. With the crap in the sump some flush just swilled around in the bottom isn't going to do any harm as you are hardly filling it with the stuff. Just drain it out and chuck a bit of fresh oil at the bearings if you are worried.

Maybe I missed it but did you check any of the main bearings ?

No I didn't. As the big ends were ok I thought the main bearings should be ok. I'll have a look at one of them tonight. Possibly the centre bearing as that's easy to get to without disturbing too much.

The mk1 had an electric pump half in the boot.

This is a povo MK3. They ditched the electric pump and went purely mechanical I believe on the base models.

The place where the pump would go in the boot has that bit of the pressing covered. I.e. no hole for the pump back to poke out.

Si, Firstly - great work on this…….

Secondly - I'm an idiot - I parked the SAAB in het naughty corner after bouts of exhaust steam OMGHGF anger and forgot the package of carpets and discs, pads etc..... in the boot! I've got them in het house and will send htem over - so sorry for delay. Accept as freebie - for me being an airhead!

Get them sent in the coming days - new contract a bit busy...… Sat morning I think will be earliest opportunity

Next question. Where can you get rebuild kits for original SU mechanical fuel pumps? I don't see anything listed on their website.

I'll be rather upset if it can't be rebuilt. :?

They were not really meant to be rebuilt. If it is working (quick test - press plunger and place finger over inlet pipe, the plunger should hold on the vacuum until you remove your finger). They rarely give trouble and when they do there are no two ways about it. Another thing I'd leave well alone, but that's just me.