The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

ive got a spare, wouldnt waste your time welding.

The guy was saying that modern engines need to be much closer tolerances and more complex. So the equipment to do that is very expensive and you need to be doing a lot of them to justify the expenditure.

Did some more sanding and painting again last night. Redid the mess up on the clutch cover. Also started on the pushrod chest covers.
ed4bb4c76cdb3975cdc2079ab0506cb9.jpg

After a good 2 hours sanding it pretty much was ready for paint.
08d9cfccb2423fa1bfeff4d623c2c983.jpg

Painting in the cold isn't the best of things. I accelerated the drying process with a little fan heater I have.
82906c6dcc9f3edcf336f0402e2ba457.jpg

Started on the other cover. This one is more complicated as it has a big carbuncle stuck on the side.
fdf7d2f6a06e7a78bf0ecd8872f4c594.jpg

I know it's for emissions, but I can't actually remember what the outlet attached to. Will have to do some googling.

Unfortunately while sanding I found/made a hole in a rusty bit.
50ca518bffda3bb6c3503363bec2c8c7.jpg

Will have to try putting a few welds on that and hopefully can repair it.

Useful to know. Going to give it a few blobs of metal with the welder first, at least I know if I mess it up I can replace it. Trying as mostly a challenge to see if I am able to fix it. I'm getting quite good at blobbing holes shut in thin metal from plenty of practice on the 1100! :D

Place your bets on if I'll either: fix it, blow even more holes in it till it fallen apart or cause it to catch fire and burn down my garage.

Stage 1 - quite a bit of fire despite capping the ends off. Filled with water to quench it.

e3498debec223a90d17b03a2ec354842.jpg

Grind. Revealed a couple of small holes.

6f5e4207b498d3e2bce5c6022aadf9b2.jpg

Stage 2

5fbc0752ad603d00e9c90105219361a3.jpg

Grind

f5bfc1c89cb12f71df9cdf95cafbad3f.jpg

More sanding to finish the last bits off.

db004a780b7a3f2a2b82ddc764d422fe.jpg

Paint.

6d4a6ca43755780773935fb12b55dcc4.jpg

Nearly good as new!

Found something else to start scraping down for paint. Not sure why this is green and has yellow paint under that green?

631a767afbba9d6e0c48d1fb8ebd6e46.jpg

I bet that yellow paint has cadmium in too. Yum.

After having to bugger about fixing the conservatory to stop it leaking all day, by the time I got to car fettling today it was dark. So some more welding by torch light. I can't use my halogen work light as it sets off my welding mask! End up having to use my Makita LED torch which isn't quite as bright but as it's LED the mask isn't triggered.

Set about on the bulkhead. This is what it started like today. I cut some more material the other day and this time I actually zinc primed it to protect it.

b964b9d060486161c3d8f0f84c3cbcd0.jpg

The problem with the heater box area is that water rots them out. There is water drains down by the wing but they invariably block up and water flowing over metal is never great.

There is metal sheet that is supposed to direct the water flow. Unfortunately mine is a bit short. Could well have been me accidentally cutting through it when opening this up. Or its always been loose.

I could have left this and welded it all back up as it's not important to be roadworthy. However I know not only will water get into the cabin and ruin any carpets I eventually put in. But also the metal sheet will flap about and no doubt make an annoying clanging noise when driving.

8edbc7e19310c83ff659a63b3e89d91d.jpg

Firstly I made the hole even bigger. Incidentally this is really the only way in and the 1100 club magazine recommended method.

b7933b3259d3d04ce8a4c20439ea5aa2.jpg

You can see in this picture that I can't just weld this bit down. If I did, water would go straight into the heater box.

5e1fc6c86af14c55e442e3634c8aab0e.jpg

Raided the scrap metal pile and found a long bit I had previously cut off the sill membrane. Cleaned up and clamped on.

0fa671cc5294be34c6787552c49b7346.jpg

Then welded. This looks messy as it was difficult to fully clean up the steel I was welding to. I didn't really need to weld all the way along. This really isn't a structural piece. I did though as my gas bottle is nearly out (again :( ) and I enjoy welding!

c9a7883f4c695ab5d6c94c31e0963cd2.jpg

The otherside of this I want to rework and reshape. It doesn't really need it, but it won't be hard in this state to put some sheet steel across. It'll bug me if I don't.

9e01baa4c47baabf98ed7a8582cce5c9.jpg

Need to get some more gas and then weld the bulkhead back together again. The bits of bulkhead I have are a bit piecemeal and messy. Does anyone on here happen to have a bulkhead piece going spare?

£40.46 per fill and I think I'm on my fourth bottle? I'm not going to calculate that one to preserve my sanity. I did think about going CO2, but I will admit it's quite easy now I've found a supplier of this stuff to just go down and get it.

Might change it for a larger bottle though. Bigger deposit and £60 per fill, but iirc its 4x the gas.

Pretty sure I stated early on in this project or in the welding thread that there are places about that you can get a bottle of CO2 for 30 quid (buy not rented), re-fills for a tenner and a set of Parweld regs for 20 quid.

I did two arches, 2 x double skinned chassis repairs, lower body repair and extensive under body repairs on the LDV outside in the wind and rain and didn't even use 1 bottle of gas. I honestly think it's worth you at least looking into, especially if you are considering other projects after this one.

You can rent a BIG bottle from the thieves at BOC for about £120 a year iirc, (dunno what re-fills are now though) and I'd challenge any budding diy'er to get through one of those in 12 months doing weekends.

https://www.boconline.co.uk/shop/en/uk/gas/welding-gas/carbon-dioxide-cylinder

If they are doing 34kg bottles for that you can definitely get it cheaper elsewhere. Do you drink in a local pub? I've even borrowed a bottle off the landlady when in a pickle before I found my current supplier. Maybe they can lose one every so often or have a couple of leaks*?

I have one of these regulators already:

esab-g250-argon-side-entry-2-gauges_lrg.

https://www.wellyweld.com/products/Esab-G250-Regulator-Single-Stage-0-40LPM-2-Gauges-73439.aspx

Would that be compatible with a CO2 bottle? Even if I disregarded the l/min as its probably inaccurate with a different gas.

There is a gas supplier around the corner from the office that reckons they do pub CO2. Might pop in and give them a go tomorrow maybe.

I have one of these regulators already:

esab-g250-argon-side-entry-2-gauges_lrg.

https://www.wellyweld.com/products/Esab-G250-Regulator-Single-Stage-0-40LPM-2-Gauges-73439.aspx

Would that be compatible with a CO2 bottle? Even if I disregarded the l/min as its probably inaccurate with a different gas.

There is a gas supplier around the corner from the office that reckons they do pub CO2. Might pop in and give them a go tomorrow maybe.

You'll need a different fitting for that regulator. It bolts onto the bottle differently with co2.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

When I look

You'll need a different fitting for that regulator. It bolts onto the bottle differently with co2.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

When I look for CO2 regulators, they look all to have a similar end on them? What regulator should I be looking at.