The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Nope, the hard bit is the subframe mounting point panel under the back seat.... and then trying to crowbar the subframe back in . Is the subframe sound ?

No idea on the back one. Front looks generally alright.

Rear subframe mount?

56f5822cd59be9112f733d67f61b94f2.jpg

Well there is a hole big enough to fit my fist in!

I'll do this once I've turned the car round and done the sill on the passenger side. I can't do the sill to floor cover until that hole is fixed and any other repairs done to the rear subframe mount.

I'll drop the rear subframe at this point too so I do the repair from the underside. Not looking forward to it. A fight to get the suspension pipes undone and then subframe off. Then a rusty car above my head that'll be supported by a pair of stands.

Yes the vertical panel  . If you can still get the captive nut panel that goes right the way across the width of the car ,it'll be easier . The distance between the nuts is critical . If you can only get the end bits with the captive nuts , get the gap right between the nuts. A few mm out and the bolts wont go in !  

The ADO16 at the British motor museum at Gaydon.

3a4b779bf27dab32d100358a789302e5.jpg

58fb5d78a5210c21f79521c80bf7daf9.jpg

Yes even that has rot holes and surface rust underneath it.

841160ef874812234bf3444cf21b2ac3.jpg

3602b8eb2ac8268ef91719260e021d66.jpg

a1f44cc92e2a3ef25b2948e5a0585f7a.jpg

cbf0149e8bae962aab92d1c26c7c2c1e.jpg

22eb24f956b6197594fe00d8cf114ea3.jpg

5eedb6b775f504da4db5aee471d67c6e.jpg

This hole in the sill on the right. I guess this is one of the factory drain holes that was talked about a few posts ago?

f097ec7eff184343316b6868cb399f85.jpg

this and shell at car show = perfect approach 

loving this thread

Peeing it down, so I did a bit of painting today.

I actually quite like the unpainted aluminium look. Shame it won't stay that way for long at all.

bd9b6852d10db2a03608aa25b1895946.jpg

Etch primer

5b71fd505781bc93174dd2ae34f9618c.jpg

Third coat I got to generous with the spray can. Once this goes hard I'm going to sand it down and repaint this section. Will put some enamel paint over the top of this etch primer too.

76da1b75ef68317d1679c1cd3bf2bf9c.jpg

Spent a good hour sanding down the timing chain cover and gave a zinc primer coat.

1aa8748358d3bd0dadf008a0b3ee9d31.jpg

Sorry for the boring update today. Painting and waiting for it to dry isn't quite as interesting as body work or engine bits.

Engine colour - current thoughts:

• Clutch housing and end cover - silver/aluminium coloured enamel
  • Block - Green
  • Gearbox - Natural aluminimum
  • Head - Black
  • Rocker Cover - Goldseal Gold (Unless I get a shiny chrome one from AU above!)
  • Tinware - Black
Why? Well I can't decide which to go for, so I'll paint each bit a different colour. As the car is such a mismash of parts anyway, it seems right?

Errr ... it seems right in my head right this moment but I'm not sure if it will once I actually have painted it...

That is too much metallic or an original colour?

But what the hell this is not a 100% concourse restoration.

Light metallic from the factory yes. Has the slightly oily finish like you get with Hammerite.

Austin Healey had all the parts green apart from the pulleys, which were black.

(But only on the week they had black paint at the factory. Then Frank found some other color in the back stores that wasn't too gone off, mixed it with some turps and they then had a slightly different green, and when Frank went on holiday to Skegness for the week, young Bert didn't bother with the black and had to cut Frank's new green with some blue from the paint shop because they were running low).

Paint it whatever bloody color you want to, that's what BMC did.

Phil

I have found it, it was where I thought for once (in a box with my "filing" from 2014). Chrome isn't too bad, the top has a bit of parcel tape residue which I could clean off if I wasn't lazy. If you'd like it pm me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

post-3477-0-33080300-1543873722_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this Anonymous User. Will be especially useful as the current rocker cover suffered in getting rather dented and bent. It happened when I first fixed the mounting lugs on the rocker studs as I was trying to get the engine out. Oops. Saves me trying to beat that back into shape with a hammer.

In other news, my wife A4 was in for a service today at my local friendly garage. I got chatting to one of the guys there about engine rebuild and in particular crank grinding.

Apparently there used to be over ten placed in Bristol that could do such machining. Now there is zero. However I was recommended these guys as really good engine builders who could help and sort me out. It's one of those places you can easily miss but all the trade use apparently.

https://goo.gl/maps/oKnkxEcXzuz

So popped down and paid them a visit. Was a proper old fashioned place staffed with two men in boiler suits surrounded in old, rebuilt and new engine blocks, heads and assorted bits. I even spotted a 1275cc on the floor (apparently all done & paid for but been sat there for 3 years not collected) and a B-series head (unleaded conversion done - £180).

They can no longer grind on site and they'll send it off if it needs doing. Polishing they can do on site though. For a full regrind of the journals they charge 90 quid and then shells on top. They can also fix/replace the buggered bushes on my primary gear. Block wash and paint it'd be 35 quid.

To start I'll get them the crank and they'll measure it up on the micrometer. Can tell me then first if the crank is shot or if it can be sorted. Then go from there.

Really tempted though to throw the whole lot their way and tell them to sort it all. Especially getting them to set the end floats and such like.

The guy was saying that modern engines need to be much closer tolerances and more complex. So the equipment to do that is very expensive and you need to be doing a lot of them to justify the expenditure.

Did some more sanding and painting again last night. Redid the mess up on the clutch cover. Also started on the pushrod chest covers.

ed4bb4c76cdb3975cdc2079ab0506cb9.jpg

After a good 2 hours sanding it pretty much was ready for paint.

08d9cfccb2423fa1bfeff4d623c2c983.jpg

Painting in the cold isn't the best of things. I accelerated the drying process with a little fan heater I have.

82906c6dcc9f3edcf336f0402e2ba457.jpg

Started on the other cover. This one is more complicated as it has a big carbuncle stuck on the side.

fdf7d2f6a06e7a78bf0ecd8872f4c594.jpg

I know it's for emissions, but I can't actually remember what the outlet attached to. Will have to do some googling.

Unfortunately while sanding I found/made a hole in a rusty bit.

50ca518bffda3bb6c3503363bec2c8c7.jpg

Will have to try putting a few welds on that and hopefully can repair it.