The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

If you do convert to a duplex chain, be aware that the end plate (that sits behind the chain and has the engine mount lugs on) needs swapping for one from a 1300 (which all had duplex chains) or modifying.  The little screw heads which sit proud of the plate behind one of the gears (can't remember if cam or crank, it's a long time simce I converted one) will foul the duplex gear.  The 1300 end plate had countersunk holes and used screws with tapered heads which sit flush with plate.

I think I still have one I can take a photo of tomorrow if it helps.  I'm reluctant to sell it because as soon as I do I'll find another ado16 which I'd like to convert,

Option 4 is the one I'm probably going to do. I've spoken to these guys and they've told me they can do pretty much anything on the engine I want them to. They can do polishing, regrinds, head work and even full-rebores. If I drop the crank in (ideally with the shells), they can recommend what the next best steps would be. Depending on the state of the journals they can either be ground or polished - including some polished and some ground (i.e. if the big ends just need polishing and have the mains ground). Chap said £16 per journal for grinding (I assume exc vat) and about half that for a polish.

shirley you wont know what size to order until a decision is made re polish/grind

Haven't got any welding done today. Apart from its really friggin cold outside, the garage is too much of an oily and flammable liability to risk any rogue sparks.

fe5dd623450f77ffb2b3b7ff577bd4ac.jpg

1452ef9cf1715e45602cff5ed2e18388.jpg

Also the debris collected isn't the best to have around when building upprecision machined metal machine.

02f4d802fb02bc2d3696498abef2030c.jpg

These business card boxes were being chucked out from work and I rescued them as they make handy fixings containers. I took the time to record where these went as my memory has already started fading trying to remember what goes where.

c6615fbeddc973c69adf9aa144856168.jpg

As the crank is going to come out this week, I made a start on undoing bits. This bit didn't probably need to come off as the machine shop probably could have done it. Not sure what this bits called but it's the bit that goes on the crank and the clutch plate is on the end. (Edit: Primary Gear?)

Anyway it looks fucked. I guess I can get new bushes for this? Hopefully the machine shop place can do something about replacing them.

Engine end

889923e4b7fcc85a8e8f9e71101c8e1c.jpg

faf56aeef85c9a9b001426f8c0fa52f2.jpg

Clutch plate end

958194e93960c84ce6e6abfbde05cfc1.jpg

6169451f21a68ed60ac3c7a0ed64b106.jpg

At least the crank doesn't look totally fucked.

8160379674c84f07ed196e9e811d8233.jpg

Just to add more to the "things I need to buy" list, the engine mount stud are fucked too.

Luckily these are cheap and easy to get hold of (standard Mini parts).

fdca38e2446cfced80a7e129eb196dba.jpg

I'm going to plop the gearbox back on top for now so I can give the floor a degrease. Apart from the spark flying risk, I keep slipping up on it and no doubt risk having an imprint of the crank into my face.

If you do convert to a duplex chain, be aware that the end plate (that sits behind the chain and has the engine mount lugs on) needs swapping for one from a 1300 (which all had duplex chains) or modifying. The little screw heads which sit proud of the plate behind one of the gears (can't remember if cam or crank, it's a long time simce I converted one) will foul the duplex gear. The 1300 end plate had countersunk holes and used screws with tapered heads which sit flush with plate.

I think I still have one I can take a photo of tomorrow if it helps. I'm reluctant to sell it because as soon as I do I'll find another ado16 which I'd like to convert,

I did wonder about that as I saw the countersunk screws in the kit you can get. Can the end plate be drill out to countersink it? That was my original plan.

Go for a 24 teeth gear, not 29 teeth.

Here's one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-mini-Primary-Gear-for-A-series-engine-24-teeth/192729350703?hash=item2cdf90822f:g:sHsAAOSwcbRbqSuV

The bushes don't need to be perfect btw. The gear is locked to the crank and only spins when the clutch is disengaged. As long as it spins smoothly on the crank and has plenty of oil, it's fine.Check the end float through when the C washer is refitted. Too much clearance and it'll whine.

The primary gears are nearly all worn like that . Is that not why the 1100 club magazine is called Idle Chatter ???

Lovin this thread , jogging memories from 100's of years ago when i had 1100s 1300s 850s and 998s . Never had a 997 970 or 1071..I wasn't rich enough

I guess I don't need to worry too much about it then?

I'll let the machine shop figure what to do with it. No doubt they've seen plenty of these over the years.

Things are a bit cleaner in the garage now. Tidying and cleaning up always takes do damn long. :|

Hopefully means time for welding tomorrow though. Just need to wake up early-ish for me to get on with it first thing.

871b660cc6dbd8b88784e26d1cbff681.jpg

I have to say, this vinyl floor such an awful background for photos!

yep 3 washers and nut will grip good thread. do not go new new stock engine mounts unless zero other options are available

Or I could weld it onto the engine, leaving the next person to swear at me. :D

I don't even know if these mounts are original or NOS though. Sharley had the engine out last, so they well could be new repo ones that are fitted. He may remember if he changed them then or not.

Today I ran a new bead along the bottom.

3e4c2830de6a3e90356739821e3734e9.jpg

Ground back

8c178c6a7db33e16e6009eb08a0b81ef.jpg

Cut off the excess new membrane metal.

bab2d0db647daeccfdbc7cab0379a5eb.jpg

Leaving something left that looks a lot like a sill.

84c9ae8b5b1c427ad52f707988a47586.jpg

I tried painting it but the aerosol can was having none of it in the cold weather and spluttered out paint haphazardly. Hopefully got enough on there to provide some rust protection.

Next up soon will be to cap the end of the new sill off. Genuine sill sections also have a stepped piece here to weld the wing onto, but I have none of that. I don't think it'll be a problem though as I can just clamp the wing onto the sill and run a bead down.

25b135b2a75142cd75cbf28b7d1aaa1b.jpg

Need to reattach the door soon. Really could do with some paint over the zinc primer as it scratches really easily. Just it's far too cold for any hope of the paint curing properly. :?

I tried lining up the sill to floor cover but it doesn't fit in anyway obviously in place. Not least matching the photos of others I have. May need to have another look under a ADO16 soon to help figure it out.

dont cap it completely sealed, it needs to have a drain hole at the bottom, from factory it was a 1/2 inch square that was around 1 1/2 long. Otherwise the wing will have no where to drain too.

Today I ran a new bead along the bottom.
3e4c2830de6a3e90356739821e3734e9.jpg

Ground back
8c178c6a7db33e16e6009eb08a0b81ef.jpg

Cut off the excess new membrane metal.
bab2d0db647daeccfdbc7cab0379a5eb.jpg

Leaving something left that looks a lot like a sill.
84c9ae8b5b1c427ad52f707988a47586.jpg

I tried painting it but the aerosol can was having none of it in the cold weather and spluttered out paint haphazardly. Hopefully got enough on there to provide some rust protection.

Next up soon will be to cap the end of the new sill off. Genuine sill sections also have a stepped piece here to weld the wing onto, but I have none of that. I don't think it'll be a problem though as I can just clamp the wing onto the sill and run a bead down.
25b135b2a75142cd75cbf28b7d1aaa1b.jpg

Need to reattach the door soon. Really could do with some paint over the zinc primer as it scratches really easily. Just it's far too cold for any hope of the paint curing properly. :?

I tried lining up the sill to floor cover but it doesn't fit in anyway obviously in place. Not least matching the photos of others I have. May need to have another look under a ADO16 soon to help figure it out.