1982 Mercedes 508d LWB. Going green for the future.

Arthur Foxhake

Good work on those gutters. My LDV convoy camper conversion suffers a similar issue, the gutters were never designed to have an additional roof moulding fitted and as a result the gutter isn't deep enough for a good continuous bead of sealant/adhesive, obviously it leaks. I don't have the time or space to take the roof off but I'll be following your work with interest to see if I can gain any tips!

Thanks.

I've worked out that the leak is from a small split in the fibreglass that allows water to get in, rust the metal frame inside the fibreglass and split it, dumping water into the inside. Flashband will stop this inside but I must repair the outside to minimise any more leakage.

Maybe make some more metalwork and bond it in and remove the leaky ones, dunno, I'm making it all up as I go along so plans may change.

Sure, but as I'm sure you've worked out even if you put flash band on the inside, the water will get in and rust the body/gutter from the inside out. Is the fibreglass split on yours or is it just poorly applied/poor quality adhesive. On mine it's clear the adhesive has not only been scrimped on, it's also shrunk back, allowing water to run between it and the metal lip of the gutter, this makes leak finding even more tricky, as it just runs along until it finds the easiest path into the camper.

Ultimately starting again as you are is the only sure way to make sure it's water tight. Although I have wondered about a supplementary glued on gutter above the roof/body join.

The flashband will stop it getting to the interior and new metalwork and rusting it, in the short term. The fibreglass is compromised in many places, has been for some time. The metal ribs are rusting and expanding and allowing the water to get into the channel that has rusted away.

As I say above, new ribs being bonded in are probably the best solution and not that hard to do I wouldn't think. Then remove the old ribs and fibreglass and make good.

It has 2 shit sunroofs in the fibreglass that need throwing as far away as possible as well, so roof repair was always on the cards.

this is awesome stuff.

following thread with interest

did you get an apron? I bought mine from

https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Welding-Supplies/Welders-Leather-Apron.html

also useful at preventing wire from knot wheel getting into my joy dept.

Sure, but as I'm sure you've worked out even if you put flash band on the inside, the water will get in and rust the body/gutter from the inside out. Is the fibreglass split on yours or is it just poorly applied/poor quality adhesive. On mine it's clear the adhesive has not only been scrimped on, it's also shrunk back, allowing water to run between it and the metal lip of the gutter, this makes leak finding even more tricky, as it just runs along until it finds the easiest path into the camper.

Ultimately starting again as you are is the only sure way to make sure it's water tight. Although I have wondered about a supplementary glued on gutter above the roof/body join.

Just read this again and I didn't answer loads of your questions.

None of this damage was caused by lack of sealant. The fibreglass roof was attached just above the gutter with wide rivets and sealant. The metal used to finish about 3 inches above the gutter and the roof about 5mm above the gutter.

The trouble was water getting in fom the splits in the rusted ribs and condensation from it being lived in I think.

I don't think I can ever make it perfect now but I hope I can extend its life by a good few years. It lasted the last 15 with just a load of filler, hopes and prayers, so with some new metal I would hope another 15 would be on the cards.

More gutter work today.

post-19867-0-05980000-1542480782_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-45193400-1542480979_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-07865800-1542480860_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-32514400-1542481097_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-57271100-1542481170_thumb.jpg

J section taped in place to see if it worked ok.

post-19867-0-61393100-1542481319_thumb.jpg

Less than a metre left to do now, then weld on the inside bits and that's it for the gutter.

post-19867-0-55893200-1542481497_thumb.jpg

Filed another big hole outside yesterday as well, weather was miserable so didn't get much done, don't seem to have taken any pics of that so I'll get one next time I'm there.

The reason for my visit to Castro's Bro?

post-19867-0-64872300-1542734836_thumb.jpg

Pic stolen from vendor.

post-19867-0-75318200-1542734883_thumb.jpg

Perfect for scouting the area when parked up. I tried using a BMX when I went to Europe this year and it sucked in a big way.

Especially as I was with my mate, who was riding my old mountain bike I sold him as I wasn't using it.

Either a basket or rear rack, yeah.

There's a rear rack on ebay for cheap so probably that.

Ive ridden BMX's my whole life but I'll be 36 in a short time and I think my days of riding them may be over.

Edit. Did you mean a rear rack to mount it to? If so, no, just makes it more nickable. If that is a word.

Spent Saturday messing with the moped due to foul weather. No joy there, it's busy being Italian. (I am a bit Italian myself, so sympathize with it.)

Today, there was more inclement weather but I know nobody else will do anything if I don't, so I went up there, had a tidy up of all the mess, did some filling and sanding, panted a few bits to keep the rain off and made a big repair section and got it fitted nicely ready to weld.

At this point a mate turned up and I got sidetracked with him so didn't weld it in.

Didn't take any pictures today but it will definitely look different in the next lot.

• 1 month later...

Right then, where are we at with this thing?

I lost some pics when my phone was stolen so there are no pics of how I rebuilt the wheel arch but I have 1 more to do so I'll get some when I do that.

Progress has been limited due to time constraints but I have a few days on it now.

Before.

post-19867-0-85776200-1546021941_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-12197300-1546022035_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-06602500-1546022097_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-22320700-1546022147_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-13168300-1546022194_thumb.jpg

Almost there on that side now. Been doing a bit of painting if the weather has been clear, new rollers recommended by a painter on a job I was on, much better finish and they last a lot longer.

I think you should go for the full camo pattern, it would be pretty much invisible* then and you would be guaranteed no hassle whilst parked up :)

"Can you explain in your own words, Sir, exactly how the accident happened?"

"Well your honour, a slow moving hedgerow pulled out of a junction......"

More done today.

Ran out of gas so dashed off for more, then a visit from the fella who has the rotten old coach I posted ages ago came for a look and a chat, when he left I got back into it, then ran out of wire. Why I didn't check before going for gas is because I am stupid.

Had some more wire in my other machine so put it in the one I was using and it seems to be flux cored gasless shit.

I'll have to pay Halfords a kings ransom for some mild steel wire tomorrow.

Anyway, wheel arch and rear panel is welded, needs filling still.

All this is under the floor of the van and essentially just there for looks, it's all single skin, only the upper parts of the wheel arch are double skin and none of it is structural. There was some welding done behind this but I failed to take any photos of it, there was more spot welds added to that panel at some point also, needs more repair inside of the inner arch so it'll make an appearance at some point.

post-19867-0-26127400-1546106427_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-84309900-1546106520_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-46426800-1546106652_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-04989900-1546106737_thumb.jpg

Yep, still using disposable gas. Not for much longer though.

EDIT! Bonus happy Y THO in last pic!