1982 Mercedes 508d LWB. Going green for the future.

Arthur Foxhake

• 2 weeks later...

Big Mercedes van level. UNLOCKED!

post-19867-0-39494600-1531244061_thumb.jpg

Bought from an old mate for a bargain price. Bonus points for being downplated and registered as a 3.5t motorhome already so anybody can drive it.

I'll be tidying the outside up and stripping the inside for a fresh start, I have an idea to raise the fibreglass roof a bit, it needs re-doing anyway so I'll if its viable when i get there.

Big Mercedes van level. UNLOCKED!

IMG-20180710-WA0000.jpg

Bought from an old mate for a bargain price. Bonus points for being downplated and registered as a 3.5t motorhome already so anybody can drive it.

I'll be tidying the outside up and stripping the inside for a fresh start, I have an idea to raise the fibreglass roof a bit, it needs re-doing anyway so I'll if its viable when i get there.

Was that down at a site in Weymouth?

Well bought, sir, and good luck.  

It's a far cry from my teddy boy lifestyle but I have always had a healthy regard for the travelling fraternity of new-age variety.    I even sneaked off to Stonehenge one year  - the one before the beanfield episode.   Which, incidentally, killed my remaining regard for Gubbermint and is something I will never forget.   

Happy meandering....

Any shiters from the battle of the bean field era ...

A few. One is now a well respected lecturer in the university we both attended - when hauled up recently by the board about poor figures in attracting 'investment' from local companies, he responded "your management bully-boy tactics don't scare me - I've been chased across Wiltshire by the police while tripping off my tits on acid".

What a geezer.

Looks a good size that, are you going to live in it?

It's a far cry from my teddy boy lifestyle but I have always had a healthy regard for the travelling fraternity of new-age variety.    I even sneaked off to Stonehenge one year  - the one before the beanfield episode.   Which, incidentally, killed my remaining regard for Gubbermint and is something I will never forget.   

Happy meandering....

Me too, despite being a straight-laced engineer type working to kill the planet I have always been interested in living a simple traveler/hippy life in west Wales.

I may live in it eventually.

That isn't the immediate plan though.

My plan so far is coming good though, I have arranged storage for it less than 5 miles away from home.

Plans are to generally tidy up the outside but not try and restore it.

Strip the inside and start again with room to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids with fixed berths, shower/toilet room, kitchen with hot and cold water, fridge, full sized oven and a seating area that may possibly convert to another bed.

Plans always change so its not set in stone and as mentioned I may look at raising the roof but it may be too much of a PITA.

It'll be a slow old beast but I have previous with big old Merc vans and find them quite relaxing to drive as there really is no rush.

Have a few more pics.

It is still being lived in by my friend and has sat where it is for 2 years without being washed. I think my friend may have had a wash in those 2 years but dont quote me on that.

post-19867-0-76827000-1531419765_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-05014900-1531419797_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-37741800-1531419834_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

As seen in news24. It is now residing at its new home.

It was a long and drawn out collection process, there were many procrastination cigarettes smoked, more than a man of my age should indulge in, but after all, I am a child at heart, so I partook.

The sweet nectar of Local Golden Ale was offered and accepted.

The vehicle observed.

After what seemed like ages man, or maybe a minute, or something, I had look inside the prize to see what made me travel so far.

I was awarded with the view of a cavernous van interior, resplendent in dust, dog hair, fag* ash, and smell and some other old rammel lying about generally.

Excellent. Just what I was expecting.

We opened the bonnet, so we could access the air intake.

Then we lifted the engine cover inside the cab for a decent inspection of the Donk.

All seemed well so we attached a bit of diesel soaked rag to a stick, set it on fire and pressed the "becauseracecar" starter button and offered it to the intake,which turned out to be a mistake as the intake pipe was made from plastic and coated with a healthy* dose of oil and stuff. When I saw Bens raised eyebrows and his mouth make the fire shapes,I hit the starter again to try and suck it out of the engine area, with success, and a brief start of the engine.

At this point I saw bubbles in the clear pipe to the fuel pump, found a crack, chopped an inch off, reattached it and fired some more fire into it.

She ran straight away and smoked like a champ for a nice amount of time.

After this I thought it wise to maybe scrape at least some of the green shit and detritus off it and paint over as much horribleness as possible to make it look slightly less rough.

Waste of time, it still looked rough as arseholes but I had no lift home so I fired it up and left Totnes for Chesham.

Squeaky bum driving past the DVSA lot but I assume the weren't looking or were having their sandwiches or something because they didn't throw me in jail and execute all the nuns and kittens.

Pics to be added l8r m8 wen I have regained some more arsed.

post-19867-0-15475300-1539118670_thumb.jpg

Arrivé

post-19867-0-10016700-1539118769_thumb.jpg

The back. Plenty of room. And detritus. Mostly empty now.

post-19867-0-37800800-1539118918_thumb.jpg

The instrument panel. And some dust.

post-19867-0-37327100-1539119035_thumb.jpg

The height of modern technology. At some point.

post-19867-0-71635500-1539119179_thumb.jpg

Large, noisy, smelly and slow.

post-19867-0-43375900-1539119345_thumb.jpg

Saveable door? Quite possibly.

post-19867-0-62969500-1539119486_thumb.jpg

Site life.

post-19867-0-04460200-1539119632_thumb.jpg

Art.

post-19867-0-56151500-1539119748_thumb.jpg

Face off.

post-19867-0-03624600-1539119866_thumb.jpg

New yard, new owner, new future.