Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Common sense has prevailed, there simply isn't room in a Fox for the batteries needed without sacrificing the entire rear load area. 

I almost want to go ahead with electrification just to prove you wrong. Having spoken to people who actually know about building EVs, the load area would have plenty of space left in it. 

However, I'm looking forward to lashing it together in my usual half-arsed manner and driving somewhere ridiculous in it anyway. I quite fancy Norway.

I almost want to go ahead with electrification just to prove you wrong. Having spoken to people who actually know about building EVs, the load area would have plenty of space left in it. 

However, I'm looking forward to lashing it together in my usual half-arsed manner and driving somewhere ridiculous in it anyway. I quite fancy Norway.

A single thickness layer of cells on the load bed would give reasonable balance and good range; with the cells protected by a sophisticated* amalgam of 2x4 and plywood the loadspace would be identical in surface area and ideal for conveying shite mopeds and such like. Fannying about trying to fit cells in the hole left by fuel tanks is a bad idea, although some could be put in the not-an-engine-bay for optimum 50:50 weight distribution.

A single thickness layer of cells on the load bed would give reasonable balance and good range; with the cells protected by a sophisticated* amalgam of 2x4 and plywood the loadspace would be identical in surface area and ideal for conveying shite mopeds and such like. Fannying about trying to fit cells in the hole left by fuel tanks is a bad idea, although some could be put in the not-an-engine-bay for optimum 50:50 weight distribution.

That was my thinking. You want some weight up front to replicate the weight (albeit not much in this case) of the engine.

*shrieks in horror*

No not TWC!

cant you electrify the Rover or something? :) (would solve the KV6s lack of Torque  :mrgreen: )

Oh come on. TWC is an ideal candidate. Especially if I can't get this bloody transmission working. The fact that a company up the road builds Fiat 500 EVs, and the Invacar uses Fiat 500 driveshafts means it's practically built. I mean, how hard can it be? Plus, battery placement might substantially improve the handling. A bit of weight up front would certainly make crosswinds less terrifying.

Oh come on. TWC is an ideal candidate. Especially if I can't get this bloody transmission working. The fact that a company up the road builds Fiat 500 EVs, and the Invacar uses Fiat 500 driveshafts means it's practically built. I mean, how hard can it be? Plus, battery placement might substantially improve the handling. A bit of weight up front would certainly make crosswinds less terrifying.

(Warning personal opinions up ahead)

its just that My motor vehicle interests started with the Routemaster bus and as im sure many people are aware quite a few those and and pretty much all but 3 of the 524 RMLs lost their original running gear

so im generally quite against engine swapping a vehicle, where so few/original examples are left

plus enough people mistakingly think model 70s are electric anyway so imagine the confusion and mass panic* that would result from an actual electric model 70....

but if you do, can I call dibs on the running gear? im prolly gonna need it if i ever find myself an invacar  :mrgreen:

(Warning personal opinions up ahead)

its just that My motor vehicle interests started with the Routemaster bus and as im sure many people are aware quite a few those and and pretty much all but 3 of the 524 RMLs lost their original running gear

so im generally quite against engine swapping a vehicle, where so few/original examples are left

plus enough people mistakingly think model 70s are electric anyway so imagine the confusion and mass panic* that would result from an actual electric model 70....

but if you do, can I call dibs on the running gear? im prolly gonna need it if i ever find myself an invacar  :mrgreen:

If it happens, I'd be keeping the original running gear. There are quite a few rolling chassis in preservation, just not enough bodies. 

I can see retro-fit EVs proving very popular on cars with impossible-to-find bits. Imagine a Renault 16 EV! Or a Fiat Panda Selecta. I'd rather have an electric Invacar than one I can't use at all.

If it happens, I'd be keeping the original running gear. There are quite a few rolling chassis in preservation, just not enough bodies. 

I can see retro-fit EVs proving very popular on cars with impossible-to-find bits. Imagine a Renault 16 EV! Or a Fiat Panda Selecta. I'd rather have an electric Invacar than one I can't use at all.

twas mostly said in Jest, god only knows where id put the engine from an invacar  :mrgreen:

but thats a good point, can you half inch a better transmission from one of the rolling chassis?

any-who im going a bit off topic now so I better shut up :)

Any more details on that company Ian?

Sounds interesting

This is the company that does the work.

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

They do a beautiful job, but I should point out they quoted me £17k for everything I'd need to convert the Fox, including Tesla batteries. That didn't include the cost of converting the Fox.

I have since chatted with someone who does his own conversions, but even he reckoned on budgeting several grand. 

• 1 month later...

So, the electric plan didn't happen. It was all looking far too expensive. 

But, there has been some progress! Yes, prepare yourselves, I fitted a tailgate hinge!

Ds2qsArWsAMolzr.jpg

I also managed to free off the lock with some brute force and ignorance. This'll help with the engine project, because the load bay is going to be handy for storing bits - the theory being that if I put bits inside the Fox rather than all over the tip of my garage, I won't lose anything...

I also pulled the engine outside so I could blast through the coolant passages. All clear, and water seems to be getting around it without issue, so that's nice.

Ds2uCSGWsAAgnDE.jpg

Not much progress, but progress nonetheless. Further progress on hold as I need to tidy up the garage and re-proof the 2CV's roof before she's turfed out.