Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Easy fix - get it built and back in!

Or go for the backwardly compatible option - a Rebel engine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reliant-engine-Box/223076841223?hash=item33f06a7707:g:WTgAAOSwLpxbWf-B

Or further back into the future - a Regal 600cc engine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600cc-Reliant-Regal-OHV-Engine-Rebuilt/263847976084?hash=item3d6e909c94:g:hWAAAOSw0URbWkVA

The engine listed as suiting a rebel is probably* an 850cc (based on it having an SU carb,) so that wouldnt't have been origonal to the rebel. That engine may actually be fairly suitable for the fox.

I would not touch that 'rebuilt' 600cc engine at all... the sealent leaching out from between head and block should tell you everything you need to know the sellers standard of workmanship. It would also be hopeless at lugging the fox around (but I guess that probably goes without saying,)

Bummer that the newly sourced engine turned out to be a 750cc, Personally I'd carry on trying to find a reasonable looking 850. I've got a small selection of engines here but all are firmly in the for rebuild category.

So £200 and you get a spare gearbox for free...

Well its an early rebel geabox so not at all fox compatible.

The remote shift setup on it is quite sought after as it offers the best gearchange of all reliant gearboxes and allows the gearshift to be tunnel mounted. (handy if your building a relaint derived kit car like a tempest) Its worth what someone is prepared to pay, maybe £60-£100.

Also that engine looks like its got a rebel flywheel fitted so you'd still want an 850cc one of those.

Looking at the damage on that head you can at least say they definitely gave it a jolly good try and can understand why they said it was seized on.  bit of a bugger, all the same.

I'd strongly recommend to not go electric on this, as appealing a notion as it is, but instead get a Reliant engine instead.  It'll be cheaper and easier and you'll get to enjoy using it sooner.  Though I can definitely see the appeal of converting it to be electric.

Looking at the damage on that head you can at least say they definitely gave it a jolly good try and can understand why they said it was seized on.  bit of a bugger, all the same.

I'd strongly recommend to not go electric on this, as appealing a notion as it is, but instead get a Reliant engine instead.  It'll be cheaper and easier and you'll get to enjoy using it sooner.  Though I can definitely see the appeal of converting it to be electric.

I don't think I'm going to rush into anything at the moment. I'm in danger of getting swamped if I'm not careful. Fox was always meant to be a winter project. I've already got the Rover in need of a service (which is priority one now I've given the 2CV the same), the Matiz to collect and sort out and the Invacar to try and cheer up. I shall merely do some thinking about what to do. Mrs Wobbler is surprisingly keen on the electric Fox idea, and I must admit I find it mightily tempting too. Still cheaper to buy a used LEAF, but they just seem so wasteful. They're so big and full of stuff I don't like!

no its not me,but i have met him,and due to being very similar in having been into the things since childhood,with similar levels of obsessive knowledge,i do get asked that every so often!

IIRC,the last 6 Foxes made were sent to a Swedish Electricity company without engines and converted to electric,but legend has it they are all now encased in concrete after a nuclear "incident".

I would put a motorbike engine in.

But not an OMGBHP fireblade engine or similar. Instead I would look at some of the small inline or Vtwins available.

650cc V twin from a suzuki SV650 would give you 65bhp and 42lb ft of torques. It would also give a six speed sequential gearbox.

You can get adapters to mount on the drive spline that have a flange for a propshaft.

Gear linkage is easy because it only operates in one plane, clutch is cable operated, the engine runs carbs so electronics are fairly simple.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Isn't the best solution obvious? Get the spare Invacar engine distributor sorted out then fit that!

*Ducks and runs to avoid things being thrown at him*

Just kidding.

Long term getting a Reliant lump well sorted is likely to be the least hassle I think, even if actually quite a pain tracking down some of the stuff needed. At least the shortcomings of these engines are pretty well documented.

Bike engines in cars always strike me as a recipe for a truly frenetic vehicle because of how much more peaky the power curve is. Granted I've never driven such a conversion so I'm purely basing that on theory.

Guest Hooli

The trouble with bike engines is you often need to do work on sump to control the oil when cornering as they aren't designed to do that (bikes lean so the engine always acts 'upright' as far as oil sloshing about goes).

The trouble with bike engines is you often need to do work on sump to control the oil when cornering as they aren't designed to do that (bikes lean so the engine always acts 'upright' as far as oil sloshing about goes).

Also the clutch is designed to be operated by a hand, not a foot. So require quite a lot of conversion bodgery to not have a binary clutch. Plus most bike engines have bugger all torque low down.

Has someone already helpfully* suggested an XUD conversion? That would be stonking in something this small and lightweight. Would also do about 100mpg.

Or, more in keeping with the size of the vehicle, a TUD maybe? Would be the most economic vehicle of evar.

I'm sure it would be easy*, straightforward*, and take mere weeks* to complete!