Dollywobbler's Foxy little number

dollywobbler

Well, maybe it'll cheer up a bit now, for I've dragged its engine home with the 2CV.

DiolxMaWAAEunQn.jpg

Very handy that I can just about pick up the engine on my own. Quite astonishing that despite extra pistons, it doesn't seem a whole lot heavier than the 2CV or Invacar engine. 

The good news is that the engine seems to turn very nicely actually - especially as the rocker gear is actually in the back of the Fox rather than on top of the engine. The bad news is that one valve is very obviously stuck down - so at least I've confirmed that valves and pistons don't meet. I guess I need to get the head off really. The head that doesn't want to come off...

That would make it a Vixen, which by that makes it a TVR and all sporty.

Wasn't the Vixen plastic, too?

Phil

I have a perhaps mysoginistic view that cars are female. Mind you I called my Horizon 'Rupert' and my first Scimitar 'Jimi', so I'm more than likely taking bollocks. The rest have had female names though....

The good news is that the engine seems to turn very nicely actually - especially as the rocker gear is actually in the back of the Fox rather than on top of the engine. The bad news is that one valve is very obviously stuck down - so at least I've confirmed that valves and pistons don't meet. I guess I need to get the head off really. The head that doesn't want to come off...

Not sure on the spares availability of Reliant engines, I suspect very good as the three-wheelers have quite a following. I think maybe crack off the head bolts/studs, leave it to sit without tension, maybe a spray or two along the block/head join with some decent penetrating fluid and let it seep in over a couplafew weeks. Possibly a little heat for added boost. If the starter is still attached, maybe spin it over on the starter and let the compression from the other cylinders push it off. Old trick my grandad taught me!

Not sure on the spares availability of Reliant engines, I suspect very good as the three-wheelers have quite a following. I think maybe crack off the head bolts/studs, leave it to sit without tension, maybe a spray or two along the block/head join with some decent penetrating fluid and let it seep in over a couplafew weeks. Possibly a little heat for added boost. If the starter is still attached, maybe spin it over on the starter and let the compression from the other cylinders push it off. Old trick my grandad taught me!

As mentioned by other posters, it's more than likely that the studs have corroded and cemented themselves to the head, thereby providing an extremely strong but unwelcome hold-down of the head regardless of whether you remove the head nuts.  Many Reliant owners fabricate a sturdy head extraction bracket so that it can be evenly pulled whilst also having penetrating/releasing fluid applied.  Plasticvandan may have more details if he has not given them already.  Turning the engine to nudge the head off by compression risks also moving the wet liners if the head actually moves. Until the condition of the bores is known, moving the liners should be avoided.

There's a three wheeler bloke called Darren over this way. Plentiful parts but asks a fair bit,also a chap called Bob in Ilkeston who owned a reliant dealer and has a stock room of NOS parts. Also an old school motor factor in Kirkby has been good with parts for my trike if you need anything I will ask

As mentioned by other posters, it's more than likely that the studs have corroded and cemented themselves to the head, thereby providing an extremely strong but unwelcome hold-down of the head regardless of whether you remove the head nuts.  Many Reliant owners fabricate a sturdy head extraction bracket so that it can be evenly pulled whilst also having penetrating/releasing fluid applied.  Plasticvandan may have more details if he has not given them already.  Turning the engine to nudge the head off by compression risks also moving the wet liners if the head actually moves. Until the condition of the bores is known, moving the liners should be avoided.

Was unaware the Reliant engine was a wet-lined unit as unfamiliar with it. I stand corrected and yep I agree that pressuring the head off with the pistons isn't good for this engine. Not read every single reply cos my bad/my lazy.

needs vtec (yo)

can i ask would it be possible to purchase a tshirt with just the hubnut logo on it please

fank oo

I was rekindling thoughts of chucking Suzuki Cappuccino running gear under it, but then I remembered that I'm hopeless. I may send the engine away to be sorted out, or at least borrow a head removal tool from the club. Not sure yet.

T shirts - I do plan some HubNut logo only shirts. They'll have I HATE THE INVACAR. IT SCARES ME. on the back. 

The engine has been collected by the person aiming to rebuild it, but some interesting discoveries have been made. Firstly, it appears to be a 750cc engine...

38194110_10214645974057167_5234314362037

The front engine plate is cracked and bent.

38054437_10214645974777185_7777056553139

Four studs have had the tops chopped off. Gawd knows why! Presumably, someone thought it might help free off the head.

38195873_10214645976617231_4155541894383

They had a pretty good go! This is the end of the cylinder head.

38032773_10214645977257247_8324588750789

VIOLENCE.

38085373_10214645978537279_7077289201028

With the right tool, anything is possible though. Head is quite curvy apparently.

38124916_10214645979377300_8644141558926

I guess I'll be looking for an engine then. Or, the possibility of an electric conversion is still floating around in my head...

With the studs is it possible to tap/die a new thread and wind a couple of plain nuts on and wind them against each other, then wind studs off? Could the head be aluminium welded and machined off? or as momentary lapse of reason said, build it and see how it goes?

The stud are a nothing to get out - shift them with some heat and a stud remover in no time.

Hard to tell from the photos but it does look like a skim to level the head to flat should do there.

Is there a photo of the matching block face?

Depends how much damage the animal did whether the engine is worth rebuilding

- as it is not the original engine there is not really much history being lost if it is replaced.

Do a like for like now - find out if you want to keep the Kitten or move it on, you can do an electric conversion later if that is your heart desire!

Ah! Sadly, me and education don't get on very well. Especially where mathematics are involved (and if I've learnt anything about electric cars, it's that numbers are important!). However, should the newly educated wish to get involved with the project, they are welcome to get in touch. ;-)