I might be in the market for...

83C

How about this old barge it’s not a m44 but it’s cheap enough with Lowish mileage and you will be a drift god driving it about.

I don’t know how it’s had a cam belt change mind so I’m guessing it’s had an aux belt lol.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153036439836post-9282-0-24550100-1529417036_thumb.png

I would rather risk an M43 or 44 four pot rather than the later stuff but ask the Rev as he will put you straight on what to buy.

The Ebay link isn’t working for some reason.post-9282-0-24550100-1529417036_thumb.pngpost-9282-0-24550100-1529417036_thumb.pngpost-9282-0-24550100-1529417036_thumb.pngpost-9282-0-24550100-1529417036_thumb.png

I’ve got good memories of a couple of E36s, a 316i, 318iS and a 320i. If that one had a bit more test I’d be seriously looking at it, but three weeks ticket is a bit close to sort anything out.

I have a Saab Aero that cost me less than your budget and has 250bhp available.  Its handling is shocking but its quite good fun point to point.  290bhp is available for the price of a wire and some software or 200 quid if you wish to pay somebody else to do it.  

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate Auto, "Noob" Tuned 275bhp. 11 months MOT, Low Mileage - Link

This is less than 500 quid at the moment and tuned by a well-respected all round nice guy in the Saab community.

I have a Saab Aero that cost me less than your budget and has 250bhp available. Its handling is shocking but its quite good fun point to point. 290bhp is available for the price of a wire and some software or 200 quid if you wish to pay somebody else to do it.

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate Auto, "Noob" Tuned 275bhp. 11 months MOT, Low Mileage - Link

This is less than 500 quid at the moment and tuned by a well-respected all round nice guy in the Saab community.

If that one stays within budget my flabber will indeed be gasted. I should have thought that will make high hundreds easily?

Not a fan of newer Renaults sorry, the only one I’d consider (although I’d never get one in budget) is a Clio 172.

No test, no buy. I don’t mind sticking something through test, but I’d like to have a couple of months leeway in which to find some time to do it.

Tbh even with a full MOT they are a pain in the cunt:)

Ah, I’d forgotten you have one. There are certain Peugeot’s and even the odd Citroen I’d have, but I draw the line at Renaults, I’ve spent too much time fixing other people’s.

Ah, I’d forgotten you have one. There are certain Peugeot’s and even the odd Citroen I’d have, but I draw the line at Renaults, I’ve spent too much time fixing other people’s.

Two on fleet at the mo, and about 0.75 functioning.

Even at that they're less frustrating and more fun than an E46 316/8ti:)

Ebay’s targeted advertising is working well:

post-20339-0-76505700-1529503151_thumb.png

Right, so because I searched for £500 BMWs it makes perfect sense to e-myther me links to a £15,000 Mercedes Benz?

Is a cheap Focus ST170 worth a look? Found one for a little over budget...

Definitely - highly recommended and unlikely to be a money pit unless it's a complete dog.

I know, I've got one which was cheap.  They're only a slightly fiddled Focus so most parts are cheap and there's a lot of helpful info out there.

E46 318Ti's are a bit shite now they're old because E46, but at 400 quid................?

You might get a year out of it. I found the older N42's slightly less prone to pissing oil out than the later N46. I've worked on so many now, they don't scare me. Much. 

An old MX5 sounds like fucking misery to me. 

Definitely - highly recommended and unlikely to be a money pit unless it's a complete dog.

I know, I've got one which was cheap.  They're only a slightly fiddled Focus so most parts are cheap and there's a lot of helpful info out there.

This was my thinking, I can't see much on them being different. I do know they're not exactly Ford's finest effort for an ST-type model but it'd be nice to try one before the values go all OSF, which they surely must do. 

They're a hoot - no, they're not mega fast but you can't really lose money on them now, values are just perhaps starting to tip (he said with optimism) and mine does shift very nicely if you use all the rev range - they are unique in having VVT on the 2.0 Duratec so there's a lot of extra oomph available past 4000RPM.  The Getrag 6 speed gearbox, it must be said, is every bit as pants as the reviews of the time said but it's not too bad once you get used to it.  I saw one review saying the gearchange had all the subtlety and finesse of a Mersey tugboat and they're not wrong, but it is allegedly pretty bombproof.  Handling is superb, suspension is quite firm and prone to hitting the bump stops quite frequently on battered Devon roads.

A light stumble/misfire around 2-3k is very common, mine had it and it's mostly cured.  It's generally caused by plugs (get the proper Ford ones, they are choosy), leads and coilpack (which mine will get when I get around to it) which are the main culprits.  The usual Mk1 Focus issues of rot and fuel pumps apply.  

I think some of the ST170 disappointment comes from people replacing a Puma with one - which I sort of did, with some cars in between and the paperwork with mine shows that at least one previous owner did too.  The Puma has a wonderful gearchange and the 1.7 is just fantastically responsive - the ST170 in comparison feels somewhat heavy, lardy and sluggish at first but what car doesn't?  It's certainly a lot more practical and somewhat less prone to dissolving.

At the moment the biggest problem is getting the seller to respond. I did think that a 2.0 Focus (the non ST version) might be fun but there isn’t a single one for sale in budget!

• 1 month later...