Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1992 Range Rover - help needed. What's missing from this pic?

Project

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationGloucestershite

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Maybe they are meant to be like that? ;)

You wonder, don't you? Wouldn't be the first Rover cooling part with a blindingly obvious inbuilt design flaw...

• Hooli likes this

#62 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

Well, not much to report for the past week because the Range Rover's been at the garage. I'm happy these days to farm out the jobs that need extensive crawling about on my back, and the car's been making a bloody awful howling noise ever since I got it. As soon as you got past about walking pace, seeming to come from the rear. In fact, it sounded as if something like this might be happening:

ZfbjWuu.jpg

but my mechanic reckoned wheel bearing or diff were more likely than backseat wolves.

Wheel bearing was duly checked, found to be knackered and changed, but the howling persisted. Spare RR diff was found and fitted, and the wolves are now happily sleeping.

Here's the old diff:

lvkrqup.jpg

Obviously you can't see from the pic, but the pinion for the planet gears had spun and worn the carrier to the extent there was a good 1-2mm play side to side in it. Result: scrap diff, especially as the teeth were starting to show wear too.

It now drives like an RR should, and you can hold a conversation in it at normal levels. God knows how the guy I bought it from put up with it - I think it's been howling away for a long time.

Next job now it's back in my garage is to clean out the back arches and underside, repair and Vactan where needed and put some more paint / underseal on the vulnerable bits, ie all of it.

• richardthestag, Lacquer Peel, brickwall and 2 others like this

#63 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

Had an hour or two yesterday afternoon to start on the rear arches.

All wire brushed, hacked at with a screwdriver and Vactanned on the rusty bits:

5ZvpxLu.jpg

4MBIgN2.jpg

bDUOjfE.jpg

With the Vactan dry, you can see a couple of holes in the metal of the body either side of the spring:

SnBAhZH.jpg

BCivTHw.jpg

The one above the shocker is worst - I suspect some more digging around would make a nice little crater. It's soooo tempting to fill them with underseal, but I suppose I'd better get the welder out!

• brickwall and Sigmund Fraud like this

#64 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,992 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

love these RR

• Vince70 likes this

Deafining folk in fozzie the Focus  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#65 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

The o/s wheelarch is now sorted and ready for underseal and potions.

The chisel and grinder opened up a good sized hole in the inner arch. A small gap had been left between arch and boot floor by rubbish LR seam sealing. The water had got in and the inevitable happened. I'd normally try and neatly let in metal and butt weld it, but in this case a lap welded patch seemed more sensible:

KkedaMp.jpg

Once painted and given a coat of underpoo it'll never show, and will be so drenched in Waxoyl it'll stay drier than the Kalahari:

cTFdCYG.jpg

The n/s was already in my mind as probably a different story.

At first, all looked OK, and I thought the welder might stay in cupboard. No fucking chance. A combination of thick underseal - the flaking, dry stuff from the factory plus a more recently applied layer of gunge - was hiding a lovely bit of rot to sort out. I especially enjoyed the approach to rust around the seatbelt mount - fill it with underseal and bathroom sealant! What could possibly go wrong. Ah well. Here's where I am so far, with a bit more stripping down to go before I start making up some bits of steel:

GLFlIda.jpg

• Sigmund Fraud and Hooli like this

#66 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

If I were a real 'think of the children' type, I'd have been back to the place which Mot'd the RR and asked them how they didn't spot the distinctly mobile seatbelt mounting on the n/s rear.

However, I'm of an age where I can remember when inertia reel seatbelts were a costly optional extra, and wearing one in the back of a car still feels a bit belt n braces. So I couldn't care less.

Once the bolt holding* the belt to the wheelarch was removed, the carpet was peeled back, a line drawn back to vaguely sound metal, and we set to with the grinder, equipped with a sexy sounding "plasma disc". So a very thin cutting disc, in reality:

q46aBm7.jpg

I managed to cajole a mate to help, who's better with a welder than me (not hard), and we ended up with quite a big hole:

GBx8G9x.jpg

The metal was weird. Kind of almost soft and buttery, and even when cut back to 100% sound metal not something you'd want to hang from the edge of a skyscraper from. God knows where LR got it from - maybe given the recent fall of the iron curtain in 1992 Solihull had taken some deliveries from the East. Anyway, we set to making a template, cutting new 1.5mm steel and ended up with quite a nice job:

FsbVF8j.jpg

I put a couple of pieces in to sort the rot a bit further down the arch, and gunged the whole lot up full of Vactan, paint, roofing sealant, underseal and then Waxoyl. Now even more watertight than the govt's plans for Brexit  :shock:

• richardthestag, jakebullet, somewhatfoolish and 3 others like this

#67 OFFLINE   brickwall

brickwall

weasel

• Full Members
  • 5,359 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationStirlingshire

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

You're pretty much doing the same bit I had to do.

1992 Range-Rover 3.9 lpg
1999 Rover 25
2002 Volvo C70 Convertible
Various stuff...

#68 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

It's an especially fine rust trap, even by the elevated standards of BL. To bolt on that nice thick spreader plate to the wheelarch, then spot weld it is the work of genius. There's no way the Brummies would ever have actually sealed it all properly, so all it takes is a little water between the two pieces of metal and I'm guessing it'll have rusted the arch through within a year. All whilst nicely hidden under the carpet on one side and some enthusiastic underseal on the other. Mine has been too rotten to have held in an accident for years, but has passed MoT's without comment.

I guess the RR was designed pre-seatbelts in the rear, and the rust trap of wonder was a cheap fix when the legislation changed. Or perhaps I'm being kind.

#69 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Proper update in the next few days, but one of the 'issues' I have is the fixing of the instrument panel cowl.

When Billy the Bodger did the heater matrix, the dash didn't necessarily go back together the way Land Rover intended. Clips and screws were left out, bits of plastic broken etc. Much of it I've managed to fix, but the cowl for the back of the instrument cluster has no means of location of fixing I can see. It's basically just placed on top, and flaps about.

Here's the view through the windscreen of the bracket holding the instrument cluster to the dashboard top:

jW61p9n.jpg

I reckon there are some tabs of prongs missing here. The manual is bugger all help as usual. What am I missing here which holds the cowl on, and what do I need to buy to sort this out?

• Sigmund Fraud likes this

#70 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

I have done this job 4 times now. are you looking for how the instrument cluster fits to the dash frame?

bottom of instrument cluster has 4 threaded bolts to which nuts are fixed under the dash support panel to hold the dash top and instrument cluster tight to the metal frame underneath it. Similar approach to the blank plate on the passenger side 

both sides of the dash should have exactly the same fittings :)

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

VW Polo 2002 1.2l 3 pot bargain for #2 son

#71 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:29 PM

I have done this job 4 times now. are you looking for how the instrument cluster fits to the dash frame?

bottom of instrument cluster has 4 threaded bolts to which nuts are fixed under the dash support panel to hold the dash top and instrument cluster tight to the metal frame underneath it. Similar approach to the blank plate on the passenger side 

both sides of the dash should have exactly the same fittings :)

Thanks - it's the plastic cowl which covers the back of the instrument cluster which is causing me problems. I can't see what's supposed to hold it in place, or what might be missing from my frame. Make sense?

#72 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

ah the back cover bit of the instrument cluster.

often mangled because it cannot be removed without removing the windscreen or lower dash and 4 x nuts that hold the cluster to the dash. gah

there are two upward pointy lugs on the back of the instrument cluster metal baseplate that sits flat against the dash top. The cover fits into the front facia and then hinges down and has to be compressed to clip the cover behind the two lugs.

with the instrument cluster bolted into place or the screen fitted the above is impossible.

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

Thanked by 1 Member:
N Dentressangle

#73 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

there are two upward pointy lugs on the back of the instrument cluster metal baseplate that sits flat against the dash top. The cover fits into the front facia and then hinges down and has to be compressed to clip the cover behind the two lugs.

Ah, thought as much.

There's no trace of the lugs on my baseplate that I can see - you'd think if Billy had broken them off, there'd be traces of where they'd been.

New baseplate the thing to do, then?

Or perhaps I can engineer some kind of velcro based solution, for easy fixing and future maintenance...

#74 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

velco would work. let me see if I can find a piccy of the baseplate

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#75 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

ear ya go

dash.jpg

marks the lugs ish

• N Dentressangle likes this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Thanked by 1 Member:
N Dentressangle

#76 ONLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Cheers - looks like they're riveted on or similar. At least now I know why Billy probably just smashed it! Looks like he broke the prongs off the front surround (nr 2 in the pic) as well.

I'll think about a velcro alternative - seems a shame to go back to OE when it wasn't actually very good.

• richardthestag likes this

#77 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

like i say unless you remove lower dash and instrument pod or windscreen it will inevitably end in mashage 

Velcro sticky is for winners

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users