Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1992 Range Rover - bulbs n swivels n stuff

Project

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

• Full Members
  • 118 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationGloucestershite

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

Looks like a problem with the combined indicator / dim dip switch on the column.

Relay clicks fine, and also click when the headlight switch is activated.

A good wiggle of the column stalk gives us headlights again - better find another one!

• Junkman likes this

1963 Land Rover SIIA - in a field, probably waiting for next summer

1974 Land Rover S3 - trialler, wood carrier and donkey

1984 Mini 25 - Mrs D's

1993 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 - liability

1996 Mazda Bongo - camper and comfy* cruiser

2010 BMW R1200GS - economical transport

#122 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 45,074 posts
  • 65 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

I think it's the same Valeo switch as the Peugeot 405 one.

1967 Renault 16 Grand Luxe.......................Thanks to Weber now running well on regular gas

1993 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Saloon..........................................A disappointment for many

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Estate..............................Is being regularly crashed into things

#123 OFFLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

• Full Members
  • 118 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

I think it's the same Valeo switch as the Peugeot 405 one.

The wonder that is Joseph Lucas on mine.

Anyway, Joe's switch tests ok, and the issue is with his dodgy connector blocks: the big blue feed in to the switch, and most of the other pins of the connector, weren't being gripped tightly enough by the female part of the plug. A bit of squashing things with a small screwdriver and all seems to be wiggle-proof again.

I actually remembered that the previous owner had had a new column stalk fitted to try and cure the same fault - his mechanic obviously didn't diagnose the problem correctly and went for just replacing the part rather than finding the actual fault, which was what let me to suspect the connector. It seemed unlikely that a second stalk would be failing in the same way as the last, and that the fault must lie somewhere else.

Changed the bulb in the fibre optic illumination for the switches too, so they should light up again. Proper posh.

Anyway, this is all very convenient as I now have nearly 100 litres of apple juice in the cellar and picked up these off Gumtree for free at the weekend:

0Lwgu5Z.jpg

FV0y8gJ.jpg

Now need to nip to the homebrew shop to pick up all the rest of the gear to start cider production!

1984 Mini 25 - Mrs D's

#124 ONLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,806 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

DIY antifreeze?

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#125 OFFLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

• Full Members
  • 118 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

DIY antifreeze?

The smart money's on that or vinegar

1984 Mini 25 - Mrs D's

#126 OFFLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

• Full Members
  • 118 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

Another 200 miles covered (don't think about how much that's cost in petrol), and all is good.

Time to fix the bits and bobs left over by the neglect this poor thing's had over god knows how many years. First the heater controls weren't fully lit - the bulb illuminating the hot / cold slider was out. The heater controls on a classic Range Rover are pretty inaccessible anyway: hidden underneath the dashboard at the front of the centre console, and they're a fumble in the dark to adjust at the best of times.

Taking out the panel was easy enough. Just pull the knobs off the sliders and undo a couple of screws, but then the fun begins. Land Rover didn't really design the bulbs to be replaced, and the tails on the bulb holders which the wires attach to break off when you look at them. I ended up separating the backplate and bulb holders from the illuminated front panel, re-soldered a couple of bulb holder tails, and manage to fix it all back together:

rA0ENLE.jpg

Result! This thing must have been looking seriously old fashioned in 1992 - the heating and vent controls on my dad's 1990 Peugeot 205 were far better.

All the dash lights work too, as well as the incredibly cool illuminated column stalks, which you can't see in this pic anyway:

HzlOHiT.jpg

Today I thought I'd sort out the oil in the front swivels. They're supposed to be full of EP90, but Land Rover never could get the swivels to seal properly on the chrome balls so the oil leaks out eventually, especially if your balls are less than perfect like mine (fnarr). I've seen far worse, but the pitting on my swivel balls meant they'd never hold oil, so I bought a couple of sachets of 'One Shot', a black, liquidish grease you'll recognise instantly if you've ever replaced a CV boot. It looks like very similar stuff.

There are 3 plugs in the swivels of this year of RR: a top filler plug, a middle level plug and a lower drain plug. Cleaning them up it was obvious that they were last disturbed many years ago. Some brilliant mechanic had all but obliterated the square shank of the level plug, so I needed a bit of heat on it plus molegrips to make it move. As expected, all was dry as a bone inside - no hint of oil, grease or anything else.

The One Shot went in through the top filler easily enough, and soon enough all was cleaned up and sorted:

sUJrELO.jpg

That big bolt head on the centre right of the hub is the lock stop. I had to take it out to access the little level plug, which is hiding underneath it. You can re-set the lock easily enough by trial and error - it clunks the axle tube when the steering's turned hard left. All cleaned up and generously copper eased. The brake back plate seems to have gone missing at some point - there were some twisted remains on the lock stop locknut. It's still there on the n/s hub, which was more straightforward.

I bought a couple of s/h halogen light units in August, but only just noticed that they sent me one lh and one rh dip one. Rh dip lamp has been removed and posted back to them for a swap, but I put an old sealed beam I had on the shelf in its place for the moment. The difference between it and a standard H4 lamp is quite something:

PglLF7q.jpg

Ah, the good old days! 

1984 Mini 25 - Mrs D's

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users