FISTPAN Uno - Force Hale £150 Bristol

Steve79

Wow, didn't think there would be this much love for an old italian rot box! There again, this is autoshite so explains a lot :)

Ignition switch is on the way but I have a question about the coil. The one that ECP lists is the blue bosch one pictured, but currently fitted is the original which looks like the ngk one.

My question is does it matter which one I get and will the bosch one fit?

How do you hold your nerve when negotiating the price, I would have shoved the £50 into his hand on first sight of that car!!

If you don't ask you don't get. I went 6there based on the info that the starter motor was knackered but when the dash didn't light up it was clear it was something more involved. Plus, the guy wasn't fussed about what he got for it. He just wanted the garage space back so he could buy more motorbikes!

Top job. My 1985 Uno 45 was a rusty heap by 1997, so 15 years in a barn still gives some time for the damage to have been done. I'm hoping you have a good one.

Love the orange interior. If you have more than one speaker for the radio them it has too much music power.

Right, I'm a bit confused as to what model i've actually bought! 

The logbook says 999cc 45 i.e, Tailgate badge says 55s, ECP website says 1.1 and GSF says 45 i.e.

I'm now pretty sure its actually a 45 Fire i.e despite what the badging says as its only a 4-speed. I'm happy with this as i believe the 45 FIRE engines are non interference.

I'll pop round to the garage tomorrow and have a more in depth look.

Right now Aston Martin is googling to see if Uno and late Panda interiors are interchangeable as that is the only interior in the world better than his Alessi.

And I didn’t think I would say that less than a fortnight after declaring his was the finest interior I had ever seen. The bar just keeps rising!

Shadow will have to find a perfect Tagora with pink crocodile leather interior for a fiver to beat this - and I expect that literally any moment now!

I love these. Wouldn't own one, but seeing them makes me happy.

I've been a passenger in a Turbo IE being driven with some enthusiasm, and I've driven a standard one in Italy. As you probably know, there's only one way to drive in Italy - small underpowered car absolutely flat out!

Fond memories.

Managed to get the correct ignition coil and amplifier module today. ECP and GSF were a massive let down and had nothing suitable but kinsella classics in clevedon had both NOS for £20 the pair.

They've got an eBay shop with a pretty hefty NOS list of current and obscure stuff.

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/kinsellasclassics

Going to chuck these on tomorrow and hope for the best.

Well done on buying the Uno these are fantastic little cars.

I'd seen this myself and was very tempted but glad to see someone on here bagged it. 

As lanciamatt mentioned your Uno is definitely a 45 not a 55s as they were dropped in Aug 85 with the introduction of the FIRE Engine.

Having had both the 45 and the 45s yours is clearly a 45 model too as it has the 4 speed box and Amber indicators. The 45S had the 5 speed box with Clear front Indicators and remote tailgate release. 

My 45 and 45s were both Black too like yours and my 45 was also a 5 dr as well. My brother still has a Uno MK1 45 and everytime I drive, it never fails to put a smile on my face!

There was a chap in Classic Car weekly who recently been advertising he had various Uno MK1 & MK2 Spares if your after any bits. Can pass you on his number and we have a few bits and pieces here if you get stuck.

Here a pic of my Brother's Mk1 Uno. It a 1989 45 Breeze which is a limited edition they did right at the end of UK MK1 sales, hence the fancy paint job and colour coded plastics with tilt slide sunroof.

post-3802-0-80290900-1529010289_thumb.jpg

All the best with the Uno and look forward to seeing future progress.

The conclusion is that FISTPAN'S previous owner has either a badge adorning fetish or the uno has had a replacement tailgate at some point in its life as it most definitely not a 55s. The fire engine and 4 speed box seems to confirm it's status as a 45s.

We had it running today although only very very briefly as the oil and coolant are aged to say the least. However there is something amiss with the wiring as it isn't showing a spark all the time. I'm still blaming the ignition switch at the moment until the new one arrives to persuade me otherwise.

Bloody amazon prime, thought the ignition switch would be here by now but it's only just been dispatched today. Having said that i thought it was coming from the UK but dispatch info says it's coming from their depot in Piacenza in Italy!

Oh well! At least it's in keeping with its Italian heritage.

Well done on buying the Uno these are fantastic little cars.

I'd seen this myself and was very tempted but glad to see someone on here bagged it.

As lanciamatt mentioned your Uno is definitely a 45 not a 55s as they were dropped in Aug 85 with the introduction of the FIRE Engine.

Having had both the 45 and the 45s yours is clearly a 45 model too as it has the 4 speed box and Amber indicators. The 45S had the 5 speed box with Clear front Indicators and remote tailgate release.

My 45 and 45s were both Black too like yours and my 45 was also a 5 dr as well. My brother still has a Uno MK1 45 and everytime I drive, it never fails to put a smile on my face!

There was a chap in Classic Car weekly who recently been advertising he had various Uno MK1 & MK2 Spares if your after any bits. Can pass you on his number and we have a few bits and pieces here if you get stuck.

Here a pic of my Brother's Mk1 Uno. It a 1989 45 Breeze which is a limited edition they did right at the end of UK MK1 sales, hence the fancy paint job and colour coded plastics with tilt slide sunroof.

607.JPG

All the best with the Uno and look forward to seeing future progress.

If you could pass me his number it would be very much appreciated. I'll drop you a pm if I need any bits (which I probably will!)

• 2 weeks later...

Right, this little fecker is doing my head in!

The old ignition switch when opened up, apart from showering springs and clips everywhere, clearly had seen better days

65iKgCH.jpg

The issue i have is that the original magneti marelli unit looks like this

SgcGsJT.jpg

u72Nc1E.jpg

But the Febi Bilstein replacement looks like this

pXzPRig.jpg

The first issue is that the retaining clips to mount the unit into the barrel housing are different so have had to modify to fit. The second issue is that the Febi unit has a metal disc riveted in the centre whereas in the pic below, the marelli unit (original) doesn't have this and has a plastic shaft which locates into the bottom (orange) part of the switch.

The Febi unit does work and will start the car but is causing some odd issues. When the key is returned to the on position after starting the car, the wipers turn on (even if wiper switch is in the off position), the interior fan and heated rear window won't work. However if you then back the key off slightly so its almost in the accessory position then the fan and heated rear window start working. The wipers still don't turn off though.

The part number that the local Fiat stealer gave me is 5888983 which i don't think is right.

Any advice?