The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

But where does the adjustment come from?

The adjustment comes form the 5/34 retainer assembly on the plastic headlamp bowl. The bowl would rivet to your backplate. The sealed beam unit or the lamp unit with bulb is then clamped between a 'seat' and the chrome bezel. The seat and chrome bezel assembly being fixed to the bowl by way of screw adjusters. On Dolomite twin headlamp assembly, only the outler lamps have a bowl, the inners have the seat and bezel. I can't recall if the inners, main beam are adjustable or not, been a long time since I meddled with a four lamp 5/34 setup.

Nae bother. I'm either going to fit an oblong fog lamp supplied by Talbot, or will wire an LED two-colour bulb into the offside reverse light so there's no external change. It should have a bumper-mounted lamp really. The wire is already there!

the 2 colour led would be ironic- modern in old

The adjustment comes form the 5/34 retainer assembly on the plastic headlamp bowl. The bowl would rivet to your backplate. The sealed beam unit or the lamp unit with bulb is then clamped between a 'seat' and the chrome bezel. The seat and chrome bezel assembly being fixed to the bowl by way of screw adjusters. On Dolomite twin headlamp assembly, only the outler lamps have a bowl, the inners have the seat and bezel. I can't recall if the inners, main beam are adjustable or not, been a long time since I meddled with a four lamp 5/34 setup.

But what about my adjuster knob for the headlight level inside the car? The only additional spare part we acquired before leaving Romania was that knob! Come to think of it, I've no idea how it works, unless it involves bending those weird spring things. I need to explore...

But what about my adjuster knob for the headlight level inside the car? The only additional spare part we acquired before leaving Romania was that knob! Come to think of it, I've no idea how it works, unless it involves bending those weird spring things. I need to explore...

In the interests of getting it through the UK MOT, you might have to relinquish the opportunity to fiddle with your knob whist in the car

In the interests of getting it through the UK MOT, you might have to relinquish the opportunity to fiddle with your knob whist in the car

I shall have to resist the urge to fill the capacious load bay with heavy stuff, just so I can haul it home with a mighty 62bhp [it may once have had].

I was looking at that place online as somewhere to stay in Bosnia but didn't notice the sign when we drove past.

The online ratings weren't great to be honest but it would have prevented our first and most expensive run in with the law. That said the Bosnian police caused us to change our route so if I had seen that sign we would have barely seen Slovenia which was the best bit.

Come to think of it, I've no idea how it works, unless it involves bending those weird spring things. I need to explore...

i would imagine the other spring you can see at the very bottom pushes up against light and nob pulls light in a downwards fashion to compensate for many, many, wonderful items of chod to be carried in the capacious luggage arena

I could donate a pair of VW Type 4 headlight bracketry to the cause.  They're self contained units and should be able to be bolted straight to the front of the Mighty Dacia and then allow you to fit standard RHD modern light units for the MoT.  If you're lucky, they'll even be spaced correctly to hide under the original trims.  You'll lose functionality of your knob, but at least you'll be allowed out in public.

I could donate a pair of VW Type 4 headlight bracketry to the cause.  They're self contained units and should be able to be bolted straight to the front of the Mighty Dacia and then allow you to fit standard RHD modern light units for the MoT.  If you're lucky, they'll even be spaced correctly to hide under the original trims.  You'll lose functionality of your knob, but at least you'll be allowed out in public.

Thanks. It has to have the trims in place, so maybe worth measuring before sending?

Slovenia looks fab. I share your sentiment about Italy. In the absence of air conditioning it feels impossible to be there during the summer. Last year we did Spain, south of France and northern Italy in a V70 and had there been no air con in the car, we would have struggled. It's counterintuitive that the heat doesn't abate in the night when used to a colder climate. 

The lack of air conditioning in the 1310 wasn't an issue at all.  Helpfully being white it reflects a good deal of the heat away and as we said in the video it is amazingly quiet at speed* with the windows open.  Most of the places we stayed weren't air conditioned but were constructed sensibly and had decent ventilation.  Room 109 was a fucking cell and has been left a few choice reviews in the appropriate places.  Slovenia was a real highlight of the trip and I can't wait to go back.  The Eastern side of Serbia was very beautiful too.

The lights fit in exactly the same manner as the early Dyane with metal headlamp buckets; are they the same diameter?

I would guess not. 

Just finished watching the video box set (as it were); thoroughly enjoyed them all. 1310/10

Thanks! Final part is now uploading ready for tomorrow. I'm still amazed we made it.