The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

Yes we need photos, no use saying this & that won't fit. I personally think it's had a thump, and the mountings very possibly bodged. The headlights will be one of 2 manufacturers or clones of, Morette, or Carello, as both over the years have provided OEM units to the French manufacturers. Any decent motor factor should have the absolutely huge Hella catalogue to browse through, and there will be an off the shelf light that fits, because of the Shifter pickup, that was sold until the early 1990s in the UK, and what is going on with the bonnet and steering wheel in the vids? Bonnet doesn't look like it shuts properly, and the steering wheel is to the right of centre when you appear to be going straight. 

Here's the online Hella headlight caltalogue, it has 237 items Get a cup of tea & some biscuits, and browse, there must be something in there to fit, both inner, and outer

http://catalog.hella.com/lighting/headlights/headlights.html

I might post up pictures, or I might just let people keep stating what will fit based on no knowledge at all. One of the two!

Well, by not posting pictures you aren't helping to confirm that whatever is suggested definitely won't fit either. If that's at all clear.

I agree with Parky, though. Surely something could be fabricated / bodged in order to make some RHD lights fit.

Old fixings with new lamps grafted in. Or adapt the fixings so the angle is better for RHD or something. That sounds eminently doable. But pics of the fixings would be handy, we have all been confronted with a seemingly impossible challenge when a fresh pair of eyes suddenly pops up with a simple genius idea that works that we just couldn’t see.

Yes it might be a one piece moulded piece of plastic but maybe, just maybe a 3D printing pro could help. And you get a magazine article out of it too.

I had it last weekend - Mrs P said “would that work?” and it was the simplest most obvious solution that I just hadn’t thought of. Totally overthinking the challenge was I. Not saying you haven’t considered every possibility (you have somehow got over some massive issues so know your stuff for sure!) but if you can get a camera in there, let’s have a look behind the scenes at what the issues are.

Also, while looking for headlamps online, this popped up:

dacia-maxibreak.jpg

I think anyone finding one of these would win Autoshite for ever!

Hard to think that this isn't a home-made bodge:

post-3568-0-54392000-1529066328_thumb.jpg

post-3568-0-00161500-1529066344_thumb.jpg

Available in Lowline Roof as well:

dacia-maxibreak-2.jpg

All dragged along by the same atshmatic 1.4 engine. Hope you didn't want to go anywhere quickly!

Watched the video. Is there no between the carb and the manifold(s)? That would help to stop petrol evaporation.

I do not have any bright ideas about the headlamps, sorry, I will get my coat.

There is a stainless steel heat shield. I wonder if the fuel pump is jiggered though. Started it today, turned off to change a wheel and it wouldn't restart until I primed the pump.

Quite remarkable. Anyway, back to this beast.

img20180528180202608763269.jpg?w=662

Lamps.

img20180615142750-975259815.jpg?w=662

They clip in on this corner...

img201806151427541252736137.jpg?w=662

Then clip in at this corner, only in focus.

img201806151427581945298687.jpg?w=662

Sans lamp.

img20180615142836618813147.jpg?w=662

The back of the lamp.

img201806151428481619715123.jpg?w=662

Oooooph, look at the engineering behind that lot. Four 5/34 inch headlamp bowls and halogen units look as though they could be grafted onto that backplate with a few "self tappers'. There is a set on eBay, lamps, bulbs, bowls for £120. Now £120 might be the expensive option, but a few brackets Araldite onto a sealed beam unit or halogen conversion unit might just run with the existing bowls.

Fair enough, I was trying to come up with more accessible options. I suppose new ones from a Romanian supplier with beam adjusting stickers won’t be an acceptable long term solution from an MOT perspective.

You saying that reminded me of my secondary school French teacher who brought her 1997 Polo with her from France to the UK when she bought it new over there. It still lives here on UK plates to this day, with the beam adjusting stickers.  :-D

Love this thread.

According to the Wesem site which looks to be OEM for these headlights,

http://shop.wesem.com/en/searchapp/Samoch%C3%B3d%20osobowy/DACIA/1310/1310%20Break%20TX%20(1990r.)

The lamp size is 150mm x 144mm.

So maybe something like this might be appropriate

http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com/h4-5-3-4-headlamp-unit-with-pilot

OR

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-TKC754

Oooooph, look at the engineering behind that lot. Four 5/34 inch headlamp bowls and halogen units look as though they could be grafted onto that backplate with a few "self tappers'. There is a set on eBay, lamps, bulbs, bowls for £120. Now £120 might be the expensive option, but a few brackets Araldite onto a sealed beam unit or halogen conversion unit might just run with the existing bowls.

Existing bowls are a bit cack to be honest. The offside one wouldn't even make a beam pattern. I'd like to try some different backplates before committing to buy. Doesn't look like it should be a problem, but I don't want to spend money until I really have to. Guessing that some £120 lamps might fit certainly not an attractive option!