The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

hang on, hang on - question....

If I import a 1969 renault 6 with CT, and get a 'free' UK MOT - does it get a straightforward pre-1977 permanent exemption???

It makes no difference if it has a CT or not, it does not need an MoT to get a UK registration document, not will it need an MoT to be driven on the road because exemption. Only a post-1978 car needs an MoT to get a UK registration number.

I saw a bazzillion of these (or maybe they were actual Renaults) in Turkey.

Actual Renaults, though Turkey did get a few Dacia pickups. They made them till 2000 - bonkers to imagine one on an X plate.

A couple of RHD Dacias also came to Ireland in the late 80s and lasted, unregistered, till very recently. You could I guess do a RHD conversion using a donor R12...

It makes no difference if it has a CT or not, it does not need an MoT to get a UK registration document, not will it need an MoT to be driven on the road because exemption. Only a post-1978 car needs an MoT to get a UK registration number.

That's what I thought until today, but it turns out you don't need an MOT on a post-1978 car. A CT (within a year) will be absolutely fine.

Ok, I thought even a pre 78 car needed at least one UK MOT during the registration process, but happy that I've have been corrected!

Anyway, sorry to turn it into an MOT thread, back on topic - did the pre-MOT reveal any bodywork issues at all?

Ok, I thought even a pre 78 car needed at least one UK MOT during the registration process, but happy that I've have been corrected!

Anyway, sorry to turn it into an MOT thread, back on topic - did the pre-MOT reveal any bodywork issues at all?

Yes. Some welded repairs weren't to a sufficient standard for UK MOT, but the lads at the garage are good with a sparkly stick, so they can easily sort that out. 

No, having trouble confirming part numbers. Unsurprisingly! Plus prices seem to range from about £15 each to about £40! The bearings are having a grumble, but they're not howling yet.

In the paperwork, I've stated that I'd like the tax to start from 1st July, so if all goes well with paperwork, we should be on for that. Then hopefully Cats can drive it over to Festival of the Unexceptional.

Yes.

In other news, went for a pre-MOT.

DfeaBtXXUAAz6FF.jpg

It would fail on expected things like shit headlamps (no pattern), no fog light and emissions (way, way too rich so might need to check float levels).

It would also fail on unexpected things: Three wheel bearings are tired, which explains the droning noise I had noticed on the way back. One exhaust mounting doesn't actually have its nut. Some welded repairs are not continuous seam welded. There's an advisory for a leak from the gearbox (nearside driveshaft) and hilarity that the driveshafts are apparently held in with bent nails.

However, a friend has just advised me that if the Romanian MOT was conducted after 20th May, which it was, I can import the car with that and get a UK MOT in exchange! So, I'm going to do that. Naturally, I'm going to fix the issues too - if nothing else, the rich running is clagging up the spark plugs so that starting is a major problem.

That's a bit like Abramovich gaining entry to the UK by simply* becoming an Israeli citizen, rather than sorting a visa out.

However, a friend has just advised me that if the Romanian MOT was conducted after 20th May, which it was, I can import the car with that and get a UK MOT in exchange! So, I'm going to do that.

I have been trying to find that bit of information on line. I read it once, but did not save the page. Not a lot on either the DVLC or any EU webpage that I could find. Even the Spanish equivalent to the DVLC (the DGT) has not published this.

I have been trying to find that bit of information on line. I read it once, but did not save the page. Not a lot on either the DVLC or any EU webpage that I could find. Even the Spanish equivalent to the DVLC (the DGT) has not published this.

I got the info direct from DVLA in the end. They seem to be trying to keep it quiet and admitted as much.

What is that engine actually off of?

It would have originally been a 1595cc Volvo D16, but it has been replaced sometime in its life with the identical Renault F8M.

I'm not 100% sure, but I assume that Renault F series blocks have similar bolt holes to fit in C series applications.

Give me a 1397 pez Cleon anyday.

Oh, so it's an original diesel 340?  I assume it hails from the land of Guinness and leprechauns then?

If memory serves the F8M was 54bhp, so the same as the 1289cc engine in the Renault 12 - should therefore pull the Dacia along quite adequately (if noisily).

This engine setup was shared with the 18 and Fuego, and they also had 1647cc versions should you ever go for a Gordini Dacia estate.

Your Carb sounds well unhappy. Are they Romanian carbs or still running a Solex, Zenith, or Weber? If the latter a rebuild kit may be the answer, it the former then replacement might be a better option.

Ingenuity in Romania knows few bounds, I wouldn’t be surprised to find an FSO carb under there mounted on a cardboard adapter plate held in with self tappers and mastic