The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

:D

I had a brief tinker with it earlier,  took out the boot carpet and metal boot floor to reveal the fuel tank below a useful looking few inchs of clear space*.

I was expecting to find knackered fuel breather lines but all I could see were a solid looking steel filler neck,  a serviceable looking rubber pipe going the same way and the sender unit.  I popped this out and gave it a wiggle and it seemed in good order but had obviously been out before and not neccesarily been put back properly so I'll give it a few weeks to see if the smell decreases.

*as I'm not planning a new career as a smuggler it could be a useful space to stash spare parts such as plugs and leads where they won't get in the way.

PONY EXPRESS. Some bits of Dacia, including a driveshaft, will be available in Rainham, London in a few weeks. Is there anyone who could assist in getting them to Shropshire?

I could probably pick them up at some point if there isn’t much urgency and could take them somewhere up the M6..

:D

I had a brief tinker with it earlier,  took out the boot carpet and metal boot floor to reveal the fuel tank below a useful looking few inchs of clear space*.

I was expecting to find knackered fuel breather lines but all I could see were a solid looking steel filler neck,  a serviceable looking rubber pipe going the same way and the sender unit.  I popped this out and gave it a wiggle and it seemed in good order but had obviously been out before and not neccesarily been put back properly so I'll give it a few weeks to see if the smell decreases.

*as I'm not planning a new career as a smuggler it could be a useful space to stash spare parts such as plugs and leads where they won't get in the way.

this is the secret compartment i mentioned when you'd just picked it up

It's on the side which is an inch away from the oil pressure switch and underneath the alternator.  I'll drop the oil and take it off just before a trip into town.  Irritating but not the end of the world.

Remove some of the parts number, then deposit the filter on the counter and say you cannot read the number, let some oil drip on the surface. :-)

• 1 month later...

We bought some homebrew back with us from the family that sold us the Dacia. It's in an aloe vera 1 litre bottle. I wasn't aware aloe vera was even a drink. 

I've no idea what the homebrew is made from, but short shots are very strong! I know I don't drink, but I think I remember why.

Wasn't a couple of litres of petrol for emergencies, was it?

My home brew is considered quite palatable, and it doesn't give me or the wife hangovers.

Looking forward to the next instalment on this fine vehicle

Wasn't a couple of litres of petrol for emergencies, was it?

My home brew is considered quite palatable, and it doesn't give me or the wife hangovers.

Looking forward to the next instalment on this fine vehicle

Nah. Aftertaste isn't quite as bad as unleaded. It's probably pretty similar to the Serbian homebrew that Cats experienced with one particularly friendly host. I was impressed that he was capable of walking after that.

It was certainly strong stuff,  quite nice but mostly strong.  We'd just got there after a long day and were offered a drink.  I took a little sip and could barely breath.  His wife fetched me a cup of water and I carefully sipped the drink between glugs of water.  I'd just left myself a nice bit of water to return normality to my mouth after the last sip when he refilled both our glasses.  Dobro!

I drove the Dacia on Thursday for the first time in a couple of weeks.  The previous voyage followed my boss phoning to see if I'd be available for half an hour.  I drove it down into town and put it on the ramps at the yard then looked underneath for the sump plug.  The plug had a square hole to undo it that didn't fit anything available and the car wouldn't start again. FFS, 30 mins was actually 3 hours so I got a lift home.

On Thursday I attached a fresh(ish) battery, pumped up the now flat tyre and it started without too much grief so I drove it home.  I've disconnected the fresh battery as I suspect there is a drain, it could just be the old battery dying suddenly though.  The CV joint is now really bad so I'm not planning to use it until its sorted.

It was certainly strong stuff,  quite nice but mostly strong.  We'd just got there after a long day and were offered a drink.  I took a little sip and could barely breath.  His wife fetched me a cup of water and I carefully sipped the drink between glugs of water.  I'd just left myself a nice bit of water to return normality to my mouth after the last sip when he refilled both our glasses.  Dobro!

This stuff is actually quite smooth. I could sip it without horror and I'm not even slightly used to alcohol. Now my head is fuzzy as these words don't quite seem to be in focus anymore. We only had a few mm of the stuff...

I think it'd blow the cylinder head clean off...

Tuica apparently - plum-based, probably 40-50%. 

I forgot a lot of the Eastern Europeans like their plum based spirits. I've had slivovitz, a sort of plum Schnapps from Slovakia. Very warming but quite smooth. May be a local variant and not as refined being home made.

I drove the Dacia on Thursday for the first time in a couple of weeks.  The previous voyage followed my boss phoning to see if I'd be available for half an hour.  I drove it down into town and put it on the ramps at the yard then looked underneath for the sump plug.  The plug had a square hole to undo it that didn't fit anything available and the car wouldn't start again. FFS, 30 mins was actually 3 hours so I got a lift home.

On Thursday I attached a fresh(ish) battery, pumped up the now flat tyre and it started without too much grief so I drove it home.  I've disconnected the fresh battery as I suspect there is a drain, it could just be the old battery dying suddenly though.  The CV joint is now really bad so I'm not planning to use it until its sorted.

I was going to say when the car had been running and you stopped for 5 minutes and tried to start it, the starter sounded very happy indeed. After one night in a hotel during DW's knob issue video the battery must have lost some juice because the starter was turning slower. It could just be the battery itself being old but I think we'll know when you decide to fire up the mighty automobile again.

I forgot a lot of the Eastern Europeans like their plum based spirits. I've had slivovitz, a sort of plum Schnapps from Slovakia. Very warming but quite smooth. May be a local variant and not as refined being home made.

Everybody and his dog makes their own Rakia with whatever fruit the locals have left at the end of the summer

Usually very potent stuff,certainly doesn't take much to get you bladdered

The wobbly dizzy issue is now fixed with a Renault 5 part that DW organised this did lead to dizzy issue 2 which is the vac advance not working so the vac line is still disconnected.  If the kids stay out of the way tomorrow I'll have a look to see if the vac advance can be swapped over from the old one.

The wobbly dizzy issue is now fixed with a Renault 5 part that DW organised this did lead to dizzy issue 2 which is the vac advance not working so the vac line is still disconnected.  If the kids stay out of the way tomorrow I'll have a look to see if the vac advance can be swapped over from the old one.

Sounds like the vac advance is slightly* seized. Maybe a good soaking in plusgas or similar would sort this?

I forecast a mix n match of dizzy parts.

Then again I've had drink this evening, for medicinal purposes dues to mild cold.

All the vacuum advance will do is advance the timing under part load, so if it's seized it will be in the default (retarded) position. So it will be fine at full throttle, but down on power (although still smooth) at part throttle.

If it's running like shit I think problems are elsewhere.

Parts should land in London this weekend, and I may even be able to scoop them up as I'll be down that way. 

In other significant news, I've just completed the owner transfer. This is now Cats' Dacia. To be honest, that's mostly for simplicity. Splitting the costs is an utter, utter pain in the arse and leaves neither of us entirely sure what we owe the other. I think we're near-enough even, which is fine by me. A lot easier with one person at the helm. My interest in the car certainly hasn't evaporated though. I'll be watching with interest, and hope I can get over for tinkering sessions if time permits (it really hasn't lately, for either of us!). All the best Mr Cats!

Cats should have the logbook now. Hope to still be involved with making the Dacia healthy again going forward.

In other news, I got a warning letter from askMID today, threatening me with fines. This is because the DVLA initially allocated the wrong reg number - an H instead of G. They told me this and said the correct logbook would come through, which it did, but clearly some numpty failed to delete the 'wrong' ID. So I got a warning letter about a car which doesn't exist! They're looking into it...