The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

I saw another white Dacia 1310 Estate last night, covered in advertising for hire-classic-cars.org, the Romanian enthusiast group which parked the blue Renault 12 at Brent Cross some weeks ago.

That estate ( unless there's more!) was broken down on the southbound M1 yesterday morning. Possibly been there all night as it was half on the verge at a rakish angle.

DW , your confusion over why Morris Thruppenny Bits are so named is due to your tender years.

post-17414-0-45363700-1533558692_thumb.png

This is a 3d coin and prior to 1971 was an everyday and useful thing to have, I know for a fact that one of these would buy a packet of crisps or an individual foil wrapped chocolate digestive biscuit at my infant school.

It also had a distinctive 12 sided shape, now whilst the Leyland ( nee Morris) FG cab didn't quite have 12 sides it would in plan view resemble a circle with squared of sides- what with its odd corners and almost rear facing doors.

NB. Do not confuse this use with Cockney Rhyming Slang; Thruppeny Bits

Another interesting* fact about the 3d coin was that its unique 12 sided shape was copied in 1967 by the Australian Mint for the 50 cent piece as the original circular 50 cent piece, introduced in 1966 along with decimal currency, was disliked by the public due to it being identical in size and colour to the 20 cent piece, causing much confusion in addition to the existing confusion being created by swapping to decimal currency.

The swine's ;)

I've just got back from a trip into town with the Mighty Dacia. Plan was to use the ramps at work to find the clonk. Rear engine mounts seem alright but could do with better bolts. One is too short and the other is a length of stud. Two of the bolts holding the gear lever in place were loose so I hoped that tightening them might help. It has altered the gearshift a bit (still crap but differently crap) but clonk is still present.

The swine's ;)

I've just got back from a trip into town with the Mighty Dacia. Plan was to use the ramps at work to find the clonk. Rear engine mounts seem alright but could do with better bolts. One is too short and the other is a length of stud. Two of the bolts holding the gear lever in place were loose so I hoped that tightening them might help. It has altered the gearshift a bit (still crap but differently crap) but clonk is still present.

Felt a bit exhausty to me to be honest, as if g-force is levering it over into hitting something it shouldn't. The gearchange was notably worse than it was, so hopefully you've improved it back to as awful as it was to begin with...

On my browse of the charity shop I picked up this frankly slanderous publication for £1.

I can only assume there was some kind of mix up with the title of the book, as this features.4272a004c926d7a97822b46efef23bcb.jpgdff6e36e901705a9e94df33ba1811b90.jpg760d53ef4b1b67a3596a78f3d7e8309d.jpg

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

The author chose that title, yet used Comic Sans MS for the text. Thus obviously he/she can be discounted as someone with no idea what they are talking about.

The author chose that title, yet used Comic Sans MS for the text. Thus obviously he/she can be discounted as someone with no idea what they are talking about.

Unfortunately , as annoying as a lot of his Christmas present output is , most of the proffesional scribblers on here would give their left bollock for Giles Chapman's sales and reputation.

Unfortunately , as annoying as a lot of his Christmas present output is , most of the proffesional scribblers on here would give their left bollock for Giles Chapman's sales and reputation.

Aye. It's proof of the damage that can be done if you attach your name to flimsy wholesale crud. A relative bought be one of the incarnations of that book. Not sure I've entirely forgiven them...

Perhaps an opinion from another publication will be more positive.

531daab9db1556ba286f22b6220d2ebb.jpg

Hmm

180689103314aed266b90530f4a51571.jpg

Better, but not exactly a gleaming review.

bcb496433ce028e1e7d99ff5389950c2.jpg

Ahh, that explains it.

But in their defence, it did appear in this section:

622caebd4d8aa813814529517fe1fd01.jpg

As opposed to one of the other sections:

13502110f30a8f92ec3cf25046876b93.jpg

But I must admit that I do find myself flicking through the pages and drooling on all the chod!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, we identified an issue with the dizzy last month. DW managed to track one down which arrived here shortly afterwards. I haven't got too much on this week so thought I'd best get round to fitting it.

I actually fitted it on Tuesday evening after the kids went to bed. It was slightly fiddly fitting the retaining clamp and somewhat irritating when I spotted that it was 180 degrees out when reattaching the rotor arm. Fitting the clamp was easier the second time.

post-4555-0-95549300-1534433830_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-28393300-1534433908_thumb.jpg

As you can see there were a few fiddly bits to swap over which I realised would be foolish to disturb at dusk. It was fine plodding away at it today though I needed to use my 2mm Allen key as a tiny crowbar to get the points out and there should be a circle of hell reserved for the inventor of the circlip. On reassembly I used the nice wire clip from the Renault dizzy.

post-4555-0-84180700-1534434286_thumb.jpg

Oil on rotor arm shows how bad the old dizzy had become, it's only been on for 200 miles.

post-4555-0-53351900-1534434431_thumb.jpg

Let's hope everything is in the correct place.

It started 4th go which wasn't great but a run up the hill showed it wasn't right. A couple of tweaks to the timing later she was back to her old self and stormed up the hill.

post-4555-0-34768100-1534434639_thumb.jpg

I'd best give it a longer test run later ready for RRG. I will resist the urge to slam the suspension and sticker bomb it this time.

;)

There should be a 'quaint my ride' stand a RR, where you start the weekend with a slammed supermini with stupid seats, and irritating stereo, plus half arsed pop riveted on bodykit, stipid cone filter, and drainpipe exhaust, topped off with 20 inch rims, and revert it back to stock condition over the weekend, complete with 13 inch wheels and wheeltrims

I had a message from Ian to see if it would be OK to collect the 1310 for the weekend. As it's not moved much lately and I needed to pop into town I figured that a test run would be wise so headed towards the supermarket at 10am with smallest child in tow. On the way down I stopped to adjust the timing as I couldn't get full power. After that the dreaded clonk seemed to get worse so after finding my favorite garage shut I headed into work to borrow tools. After a bit of fannying around I found the o/s inner CV joint to be worn. On the off chance that a R12 one might be tucked away somewhere I tried the local factors. After a while I gave up and decided to pack it out with grease so walked up to the factors to get some. While hunting for CV joint grease the phone rang, followed by a shout of "I'm over here". They couldn't get them and suggested that old Renaults generally needed the whole shaft. We can't find a 89 R12, are you sure it's not a R11? I explained it was a bit like Ladas being old Fiats and headed out with appropriate multipurpose grease. After some swearing and cable ties I added extra grease and sealed it up. At this point the phone rang, DW was at my house. FFS how did that take 3 hours? I made it home and handed it over almost in time for DW to make it to his first job. In my haste however I forgot a couple of details.

One of these was my keys, I keep all of them on one bunch and gave him a running car.

I've mostly been breaking down in convenient (once) and inconvenient (twice, including on the main bridge through Bridgnorth) places. I think the fuel system needs going through completely.

We certainly need to fix either;

The fuel gauge.

The low fuel warning light.

The trip meter

As a shared car with all of them broken is asking for trouble.

By not letting it cool down, remember how many mornings we spent trying to start it?

I spent an hour or so this afternoon trying to track down a driveshaft without any success. Why do companies who don't stock an item always come up in Google searches? Half of them don't even list the car in the drop down box's. Grrr

By not letting it cool down, remember how many mornings we spent trying to start it?

I spent an hour or so this afternoon trying to track down a driveshaft without any success. Why do companies who don't stock an item always come up in Google searches? Half of them don't even list the car in the drop down box's. Grrr

It conked out twice when hot...

I suspect it might be Romania only for the driveshaft. I might see if my new Romanian friend can track one down as I don't fancy another dodgy Western Union farce.

LP

It is a 1.4 but the issue has more to do with the 5 speed box according to DWs contact. I have sent the seller a message via the power of Google Translate.

SIC

It's a possibility, theres a set of points and condensor in the car which came with the dizzy.

The car does seem a lot worse since I fitted the new dizzy. Perhaps the vacuum advance is faulty or something is out of adjustment?